Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to run away but have no where to go

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 14. Freshmen in high school. I have never been close with my mom and honestly dont care at this point she was bullying me as I grew up she made it seem like I was the issues but when people started noticing bc I got older she stopped. She verbally abused me and physically but not that much. She uses words like "I brought you in this world I can take you out", "I will kill you", "dont test me". She has mood swings and will scream at the top of her lungs as soon as me or my dad try to explain or say something bc she always thinks she is right. I could keep going but it would actually take me hours. I just really wanna leave this house and never come back I love my siblings and dad but I cant stand my mom. I always avoid being in the same room as her.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. . It also sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 12 and I live with my grandmother because DFACS took me away from her when I was 5 because she had mental illnesses and she was on drugs and my father is always in jail but I keep in contact with him. I’m good in school I get A's and B's I rarely get in trouble , unless I get suspended for fighting and I’m always getting punished because of what my sister does and she always trying to control me and my grandma always yelling at me for no reason and I just wanna get away or I’m gonna kill myself or either run away because I’m not happy and I just wanna have a normal life like any other girl and I just need to get away because they probably wouldn’t care that I ran away.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-01-2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I'm 12 and i live with my grandmother

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are upset about the living situation you are in. Your father is incarcerated but you keep in touch with him. Good for you.
      You sound frustrated that you get yelled at by your grandmother and punished for things you did not do. How awful. Somehow that does not seem fair. We understand your frustration over this. You seem to be getting good grades. That must feel good.
      On the other hand you have been suspended for fighting. It sounds like the situation has become so overwhelming for you are not sure what to do. That must be frustrating for you. Sometimes talking about your feelings might help to relieve some of the tension you might be experiencing.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can’t tell you what to do you know your situation best. We can speak with you and explore options and that might give you some since of a plan on next steps. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are feeling at risk or having thoughts of suicide we encourage you to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255

You did great reaching out today.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I want to run away for a few nights but i dont have anywhere to go. I live in west virginia and im 12 years old.
        Last edited by ccsmod7; 03-03-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you doing so. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It sounds like you are wanting to run, but have nowhere to go. If you call or chat us, we can look for local runaway and homeless youth shelters in your area if you need. We can also talk through your situation and help you brainstorm your options. Please know that you are not alone.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

• I just want to run away and disappear from everything and everyone. I hate my sister my bestfriend treats me like ******** and I spend hours crying myself to sleep because iff jer snd it’s not good and I’m crying as I’m writttin this. I want to run away but I don’t know we’re to go like all the sights say I should go to someone’s house who I know but like I want to be alone with no one around me asking questions but then I can’t stay on the streets cause I might be raped or something even worser so I don’t know what to do. I wanted to die but the. I thought to myself I will try live for any other year but not sure if I would be able to make it so I’m deciding to run away but do t know were I live in England so please someone help me and I’m 13 and I girls btw

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time right now. It must be hard to feel your sister and best friend treat you unfairly and to feel like you want to be alone and not be asked a lot of questions. It is understandable to want your own space and privacy. We are sorry to hear that you wanted to die. We would hope you are being supported in some way, as that is a hard thing to go through alone. It may be beneficial to reach out to an organization called The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their hotline 1800-273-8255. You would be able to speak with a professional who would help you navigate those emotions when and if you feel them again. Your mental health and safety is important and there are resources for you. If you have not tried to already, it may be beneficial to speak to an adult you trust about what is going on and explore some ways to communicate with the adults you live with about how you are feeling. This may be beneficial to hopefully come to a resolution about some of the things bothering you are help you explore some ways to cope. We would love to be able to talk with you further and be of support to you. Please, feel free to give us a call at any time on our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org. We wish you the best of luck.

• Hey, this isn't a reply, but I do need some help. I'm 16 and I want to run away, I've been planning this since I was 13 years old. I used to live with my mother and step dad for the last 5 years, I felt like everything I did would spark an argument. My mother called me a "Manipulative **********" when I decided to live with my dad, hoping that it would be better. My father used to be abusive when I was little, he beat my mother and mentally abused my siblings and me. I thought maybe he had changed when he remarried, but I was very badly mistaken. My step mother has hated me since I met her, my oldest brother ran away, my closest brother has been saving up his entire life to leave both households. You would think they would learn by the third kid. But no. So I just came here to get this decision off of my chest, I told my little sister what I was going to do tonight, and she wished me good luck and I cried, I don't have the heart to tell my best friends. I really need some pointers on what to do, and if I can live a regular life after running away, what jobs can I get, where can I stay safely, what can I do to stay off of the streets overnight. Please tell me what I can do, I can't stay here anymore.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-06-2019, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hey, this isn't a reply,

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are trying to decide what to do about leaving home or staying but have some questions. Though we can understand being frustrated by a situation it’s good that you are taking your time in making a decision. Unfortunately we can't predict the future. One thing we can say is that running away probably will bring changes in and questions as to how you will survive. Some things to consider are where you will stay? How will you eat? How do you keep yourself safe? Basically the question you might ask of yourself is: Will running away make my situation better or worse?
          We understand that it has not been a good situation for you. Your feelings certainly matter.
          Sometimes being able to vent your feelings about a situation might open the door to exploring other options not yet thought of. Being able to express emotions is another way to exercise self-care.
          You did a good job reaching out today.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          It is times like these that it would be nice to have a listening ear.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options on keeping safe and off the streets, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• I am 13, my life is falling apart! My life used to be that home was a safe place a place that I waned to be, were I never wanted to leave. But theses days I would rather be in math class then at home. My parents are being so rude to my 11 year old sister and I. I’m grounded all the time for doing nothing other then sticking up for myself! I have thought about running away but my school and house are near nothing! I don’t know what to do! My friendships are falling apart becuase of the stress I have carried to school from home! Here’s a situation in which all of this happend. So I had been really exited becuase I had gotten a new phone! An iPhone finally! I bought it myself I pay for it myself I do everything for it myself! My dad yells at me saying that I am grounded and can’t touch it, the only reason that I got grounded was becuase I got a C on my report card in math, but come on, it’s middle school and it math and you guys say that it’s hard all the time! That it’s the hardest time growing up! So cut me so slack, like I’m trying to not fail school, make sure the drama with my friends doesn’t go too far,and I’m trying to make sure the whole family doesn’t fall apart! I know that this is a really bad thing to say but sometimes I just wanna cuss my parents out! But then again they would probably do the same. I don’t get why fathers and mothers are mean to the things they made! Like we were inside of them! They always say “oh honey your the best thing that ever happened to me!” Well then parents treat us like it! My mom doesn’t know who’s side to take, but she is more on my dads side becuase he can hurt her like he does to us! I hate them so so so so so much! I just want this all to end! My dadas favorite thing to do is make us to chores, which then makes it so that we can’t ever do homework or our own thing which makes us fail school and then they ground me again! I just want all of this to end! Please help!

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you very much for reaching out! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate: School being difficult, friendships, and your parents not understanding you and making you feeling supported. Middle is a rough time anyway, especially if you do not feel comfortable or relaxed in your own home.
              Parents can be tricky no doubt! And it seems like you have tried to reason with your parents but they have not changed their behaviors. How would you feel about writing a letter to your parents and handing it to them detailing your feelings and what you would like of them? Sometimes a letter is a nice way to communicate because it keeps things from escalating to an unproductive argument. In addition, we offer conference calls here which means that we can mediate a conversation between you and your parents to try to make sure everyone expresses their feelings and hopefully we can help you reach a middle ground. If a conference call sounds like something you would like, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
              Once again, it takes a lot to reach out. A lot seems to be going on for you and we also want to make sure you are taking care of yourself. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are here to listen and here to help.

• Hi there!
            I'm 23, first of all, I wanted to say that I'm not into a super difficult situation, it's just, I live with parents, one sister, I have a simple life, but the thing is I don't want to continue, I know it could sound a bit superficial or whatever but I feel that I'm this non-purpose life, just like, breathing or doing paperwork, I had once thought of hurting myself but, I didn't do it, I think I can continue ignoring the agony in my chest of... don't know, live, experience new things, stop feeling like a weirdo, or completely ignorant, I feel really alone, even surrounded by lots of people I know that many people could think that it's just depression or whatever, but I really feel miserable, like I'm no longer worth it... I just wanna to run away...

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since you are 23 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.
              Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
              If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
              We hope to hear from you soon. Be safe and stay strong, NRS

• I just broke up with my girlfriend and I’m only 13 but I really loved her I just feel like getting away from it all I think about committing suicide on a daily basis and just want to run away and get away from it sll
            i feel like I’m not good enough I feel like I’m not worth anything

Comment

• ccsmod8
              ccsmod8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here on our public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. Hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations as you that can benefit from you reaching out to us today.

Sounds like you’re going through a very difficult time right now in the wake of your more recent break up. Of course it feels like your world is ending right now after you have parted ways with the person you love more than you though you could ever love someone. It’s not easy to see now but the pain of breaking up does fade away eventually. This isn’t going to happen overnight, in the next week, or even month from now but it will happen for you. What stays with you is going to be what you learned from your experience in a relationship and what works and doesn’t work. Now you are able to think about what you need from a partner verses what you want from someone that you are dating. If you do want to talk to someone about what you are going through right now there is a teen dating hotline that can give you 24/7 friendly, non-judgmental support. Talking to someone about relationship issues can be hard to talk about with just anyone, but they are always there to listen. They can be reached by calling (866.331.9474 / https://www.loveisrespect.org/), they also have a live chat that you can access from their website.

Since you stated that your thoughts sometimes turn to harming yourself or completing suicide, it might be best to reach out to the other agencies for some help. That is a very serious thing to be thinking about. If you are ever close to hurting yourself like you said you can call out to the police for some direct services, they can come by and check up on you and make sure that you are okay. You shouldn't be afraid to tell other people what you are thinking about doing especially if you are thinking about hurting yourself. You are certainly not alone in this and there are many many people that are here to help you. A good resource might be to call the ‘National Suicide Hotline’ for someone to talk about what thoughts you might be thinking at the time. Their number is 800.273.TALK. They also have an online chat service that might be of help to you especially if you don’t feel like calling in (https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/).

We hope that this responds helps! Feel free to reach out to us if you need further support.

• I am only 10 and in 5'th grade. I have messed up a lot in life. I cannot turn back. I was wondering where I would go?

Comment

• Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you have been going through some tough times and are trying to move forward. We are not legal experts here at NRS, but we generally know that running away is not illegal, but one thing to consider is if your parents would try to find you. Your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. If you find someone to stay with they could potentially get in and charged with “harboring.”

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. Another options you could consider is finding someone to talk to about the things that you believe you messed up in your life. You can contact NAMI to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-NAMI or NAMI.gov. You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your parents how you have been feeling what you have been going through. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Wish you the best
              -NRS

Comment

• I'm 12 years old and I want to run away but nowhere to go. I'm not worried about my parent because they're the ones who told me they don't need me and that it's their home so they can kick me out. But I love my baby sister so much and I don't want to leave her. I live in Australia and there isn't many places I can go. I know how I can do it I was going to walk out of school instead of going to my dad's car. But I don't know where to go. Ive planned everything except for where I'm going to go.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                  ccsmod5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi,
                  Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a stressful situation and it is very hurtful that your parents would tell you they don’t need you in their home. That’s not an okay thing to say to anyone, especially your child, and it’s understandable that you would want to remove yourself from that situation. It could be helpful for you to know some general information about runaway laws. Since you are based in Australia, we are uncertain of the laws around runaways in your area. A helpful resource could be Kids Help Phone, which has a hotline as well as a live chat. You can access their live chat at https://kidshelpphone.ca or you can call 1-800-668-6868. It sounds like you’ve already thought about how you might leave home, which shows that you’re looking ahead. Having a safe place to go is important: you might consider staying with a friend or family member; another option might be a shelter. We wish you the very best. Stay safe and stay strong!

--NRS

• I feel like running away.

Okay, so I am 13. Most Lost of the kids at my school bully me because of my girlfriend. Mostly all of them hate her and they are teasing me because of it.. So there is a lot of stress going on there. At home is maybe worse for me (I don't know your opinion yet). There is my sister, who will likely tease me for no reason. My little brother can get annoying at times but we still get along. And here is my parents. My mom just wants everything to be 'perfect' and lectures me about having the shower curtain the wrong way. And there's my dad. Probrally the worst.. He first physically abused me when I was a baby. For wiping poo on the wall. He had me clean it even though I didn't know how to use it.. When I recived my first pinkslip (you know, the ones that you get from the bus) My dad would literally tip the whole kitchen table. Then when I was like, 7, my mom almost. Had it with dad and ran away. Some part of it , I was stuck with dad. He slammed me to the ground headfirst for telling him to 'stop' yelling. The other part I was with mom. My dad brought us over to my cousins house and then that morning (thank god dad is a heavy sleeper) mom came and snuck us out. We stayed over at Mom's sister's place for a few months. Then Dad found us and somehow my mom was happy. My dad has gotten a little better from the last 6 years after that, but still, he could get hot-headed when he sees something he doesn't like. Like when I was mowing the lawn, he got mad because I was moving slow. And he blamed me because of his actions! Just to sum it up, it feels like I'm the least liked in the family, my dad could go on psycho mode any second I could make him mad. I just want your opinion before I make my move. It would be nice for some feedback.
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello There,
                  Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it sounds like you have gone through a lot of difficult situations. You are very strong and brave for going through all of that and having the courage to reach out for help. First off we want you to know that you do not deserve to be treated like that and any type of abuse is unacceptable. If you ever feel like you are in immediate danger you can always call 911. If you would like to make an abuse report you can call The Child Help Hotline at: 1800-422-4453. We know that making abuse reports can be scary if you would like our help you can call us at any time.
                  Also you do not deserve to be bullied, a teacher or school personal should put a stop to it. Many times people who are bullies do it to get a reaction, sometimes if you do not react they may stop. One option is to talk to a school counselor or trusted teacher about what is going on. After hearing about the incident the school counselor or teacher hopefully will help with resources or eliminate the bulling.
                  We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
                  NRS

• I want to run away I'm not understood in my home I am 14 i have someone I love who betrayed me in a harsh way I live in Englewood, Colorado but I don't have money where could I go???
                Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-21-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X