Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to run away but have no where to go

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone! I am 16 years old, live in Florida and I cannot stand my father anymore. He is both physically and mentally abusive. He has been that way for as long as I can remember but in the past two or three years it has been just the worst. He has put me through so much in life that I can confidently say I hate him with all my heart. I resent him and feel disguisted because of all the stuff he has done to me. In fact, I hate all of my family. It is just so toxic and dysfunctinal. I have a job and do well in school (I am in 11thh grade) and plan to move out and go away for college after high school. But that means I would still have to live with my family for another year and a half, which honestky sucks so much. But then if I run away, it is likely they will find me and I do not know where I would go and what highschool I would attend if I ran away. I am ambitious and feel like if I run away I would kill the future plans, like going away to a good college and stuff. But the thought of having to live with my family for another year and a half is legitimatelly scary because I just hate them so so much and am so unhappy in this home.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your family life has become unbearable for you. It shows strength and resilience to have gotten as far as you have and it is important that you recognize that. Your ambition is clear in your work ethic and efforts in school and you deserve an opportunity to succeed and grow in a supportive environment. Any type of abuse or violence in the home is not okay and if you are interested in reporting or exploring what the reporting process might look like, please contact the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or childhelp.org.

It is wise to consider what you have to lose in running away alongside the potential benefits. While it is difficult for us to tell you what you should do because we do not have all of the information about your situation, we could definitely talk about what options you have and how you could approach them. If you are interested in doing so, please reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-422-4453 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

• I'm 16 and I want run away
    i have a girlfriend that might be pregnant and my family tries to help but I'll if they do they would deal with even more kids and emotional standers I don't want to keep them in one place so me and my girlfriend wants to run away but we don't know we're.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for your post. It can be very overwhelming when your significant other may be pregnant. From the way you describe the possibility of there being “even more kids” and “emotional standers,” it sounds like you feel like your situation might be a burden to your family. We want to let you know that you are not a burden! Everyone deserves love and support, especially when they find themselves in challenging situations like your own. You are worthy of support from your family if they are willing to help. That being said, if you and your girlfriend to choose to leave home, there are a few things to consider:

-Interacting with police: While we are not legal experts, we can say that if you leave home without permission from your family, your parents could file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you they may return you home.

-Safety: Running away is a big decision. You asked where to run away; often, young people choose to go to friends, family members, emergency shelters, or transitional living programs. For more info on shelters or TLPs, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. Having a place to stay can be huge in terms of your safety as staying outside can put you both in danger of physical or sexual violence.

-Healthcare: If your girlfriend is indeed pregnant, she may have to make a decision about what to do next—that is, planning for an abortion or planning for the birth of a child. In any case, your girlfriend may want to go to a medical professional. A great resource for prenatal care and other options, you can call Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526.

Thank you again for your message. Feel free to give us a call if you need additional resources or just need help thinking through your options. We are here 24/7 to listen and help in any way we can.

Sincerely,

NRS

• Hi I think my family is abusive but I don't know if they are. I've been thinking about running away for a few months now but I'm always to scared of what I would loose. I am 12 going on 13 by the way. I also am on the autism spectrum and I get really upset when anyone yells or says something to upset me but my family just get mad and says to get over it. I have a dad and a stepmom that also live in the same town but my mom makes me too nervous to ask to live over there. So now I am terrified and don't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. Everyone deserves to have their boundaries and feelings acknowledged and accepted. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you think you might be living in an abusive household. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• im 14 and in 9th grade

I really want to run away, I've been wanting to run away for almost a year. almost everybody in my house emotionally abuses me I don't want to be in my house anymore I feel like a mistake I feel like I don't belong anywhere and I have nowhere to go if I run away

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you have been thinking about running or awhile now, and you are feeling emotionally abused at home. That sounds so hurtful, no one deserves to be abused, and folks should be treated with respect. Here at NRS, we want you to know that you are not a mistake. You are not lesser than anyone else - not your family, not your peers or teachers, no one. You have a right to your own space and your feelings are valid.

Sounds like you are feeling like you do not belong anywhere and you will have nowhere to go if you leave. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety and if you do decide to leave we encourage you to make a concrete plan on where/how you will go places safely and still get your basic needs met. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you call or chat us, we can look for runaway youth shelters near you or talk through your situation with you and help brainstorm your options.

We look forward to hearing from you. You are not alone,

NRS

• hi i'm 13 i want to run away because my mother abuses me and i am 100% certan that i want to leave i have a bag ready to go with clothes shoes i've been thinking about running away for three year's now i tould my friend and she wants to adopt me but she cant my mother make's ,e feel useless and that i'm a big mistake i want to go somewhere where i wont be found i've been scared to contact you guys ive read on this website before but i finally feel safe to but i'm also scared like that governmet or someone's gonna be watching me now im scared of my mother

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Sometimes, I really want to escape my parents and my life. I sort of think that everyone I know expects me to be perfect because I have straight A's and I am two years ahead in math, along with the fact that I am a "gifted" learner. I think that I am ugly and dumb and I'll never be the daughter my parents are proud of. They used to hurt me, but now I know how to stay in the clear. My parents are Hindu and want me to be arranged to a nice guy, but I am a lesbian and I don't believe in anything. I don't have many friends, and they don't really understand why I feel this way. Sometimes, I think that suicide is a better idea. I don't know what to do, and if I live long I want to be successful, and I need school to acimpish my dream.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      HI there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. We’re really sorry to hear about all of that. It sounds like a lot of people have expectations for you that you that are causing you a lot of stress. You’re going through a lot, and it shows a lot of strength to try to push through things like you are.

It sounds like you’re achieving a lot in school, but you still feel pretty lost. That’s something we hear from a lot of people, especially people who have problems with their family not accepting who they are. You’re definitely not alone, even if it feels like your friends don’t understand why you feel that way. If you feel like you can’t talk with your friends about things, sometimes it can also help to talk to an adult – maybe a teacher you trust, a school counselor, or a relative you’re close with.

Being lesbian in a family that doesn’t understand that can be really hard for anybody. Luckily, there are a lot of great organizations that specialize in talking LGBTQ people through problems just like that. A great one is the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743 (or help@LGBThotline.org). I also see that you’re thinking about suicide. We’re truly sorry to hear that – nobody deserves to feel that way. The Trevor Project is an LGBTQ youth suicide lifeline that offers support specifically for LGBTQ people. You can call them at 1-866-488-7386, chat them online at thetrevorproject.org, or text them by texting START to 678678.

Nobody deserves to be hurt by anybody, including their parents. We want you to know that if you ever feel unsafe in your home, you can always call 9-1-1. You can also get in touch with your local child protective services agency if you want someone to intervene at home but you don’t want to call the police.

We’re also always available if you want to talk more! You’re being really strong in the face of real challenges, and we’d love the chance to talk to you about it. You can post again here, chat us on our website 1800runaway.org, or call us at 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the best of luck.

-NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X