No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help

    I just turned 16 last September but I just can't deal with my parents anymore. Can I move out at 17 without parents calling the cops? My father is really military and my mum is religious. I just can't take the stress and crap they give me. Just last night he flipped on me and was whipping me with a towel bc I didn't do the damn dishes. And my mother just stood there and didn't do anything about it. Even agreed with why he was hitting me with it.

  • #2
    RE: help

    Hello there –

    Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. From your message to us, it sounds like you have are going through a very hard time right now and seem to be very overwhelmed with everything that is going on. It takes a lot to reach out of help and it’s great that you felt comfortable enough do to that with us; that is definitely very brave of you to do. No one deserves to be treated that way. You deserve to be treated with love and respect in the house that you are living in.

    Unfortunately, here at the NRS we cannot tell you in definite terms what would happen if you were to leave home without permission because we are not legal experts. Laws on that specific subject vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. What typically happens though; your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away, but since it’s only considered a statues offense the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Again this does depend on your specific state laws and police policy. There are some cases in which police won’t take a runaway report on a 17 year old because they feel as though they are adults; being able to move out of the house. Even if you didn’t want to discuss the situation you can just ask what the age of majority is in your area and if the police take a report or make a youth return home if they are 17.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp