Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to runaway...

I'm 15 years old and I'll be 16 in 8 months, I'm seriously considering running away. i live with my mom and dad and 4 siblings and my nephew in Nevada, I'm Home Schooled and have been for my whole life. I have 1 friend and all of my family lives really far away, I don't really leave my house at all, my parents and I are constantly fighting. I hate my life, i don't know what is considered physical abuse, my mom hits me sometimes and she grabs my arms and drags me to her room and makes me sit in the floor for hours.... My parents always tell me that they do everything for me and I have a perfect life, they call me lazy and they tell me that I'm messed up, that they messed me up... I don't know if I'm over reacting, but the fighting has gotten worse ever since my papa died... They took my door off the hinges. My mother is always treating me like a mental patient saying how she thinks I am trying to act bad so they will send me to boarding school or saying that I'm trying to become anorexic so I can
    Live in a hospital... I dont know why they hate me. I can't take it anymore, I've tried to fix it but I cant... I want to go live with my dads cousin in California but she probably doesn't want me either.. And my parents wouldnt let me. Someone please help. I don't want to get the law involved or anything like that because of my siblings...

I want to runaway

Hello,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like you have been suffering emotionally and physically as a result of the treatment you receive in your home. No one deserves to be abused physically, emotionally or mentally.
    We are sorry that you are having this issue at home. It must be very hard for you.
    You mentioned that things have gotten worse since the passing of your Papa. Losing someone can be a very difficult life change. We are sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one on top of everything else you have been going through seems to have you considering running away. Is that right?

We understand how overwhelming all of this must feel and it’s great that you are reaching out.
    A question we would like to ask of you is have you exhausted all of your options for help?
    Running away is one option but is it a good option for you?
    It’s important that you consider your safety. Have you given any thought as to how you will survive should you decide to leave?
    Being at home sounds like it has really been tough for you we just ask that you think about being safe.
    You wrote about possibly staying with a relative have you explored that idea?

We would like to hear more about your situation and address some of the issues you brought up in your post. You might consider calling our 24hr crisis line at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to speak with someone about your situation. You can also reach out to NRS via chat by visiting our website www.1800Runaway.org NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST).
    How does that sound?

It must have took a lot of courage for you to reach out to NRS it’s not always easy to share your feelings with someone. Good for you. We appreciate you.
    We understand your concerns about involving outside entities so can you think of how you were hoping NRS might be of help? We do have a national data based with information and referrals to try and fit around your needs.
    Here at NRS you can talk freely and anonymous about your situation. We are here to listen- here to help.
    Does that sound okay?

We thank you again for reaching out to NRS and hope things improve for you.
    Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I want to runaway

I would call but my parents took my phone. I really have tried everything to fix this mess of a life, but everything I do seems to make them angery. I don't know what to do here, I want to leave but I have no place to go. I would go live with my cousin in California but my parents would never let me and I don't know if she would want me there.

Comment

RE: I want to runaway.

Hello there –

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and writing on our public bulletin board. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. From what you are telling us here in your post, it does sound like you are going through a very difficult time right now living with your parents. It sounds like the situation at home is getting pretty overwhelming and stressful for you. It’s really brave of you to reach out for help and it sounds that you’re really mature as well. When you state that you’re trying to fix the mess in your life, what is it that you mean by that?

Unfortunately, here at the NRS we cannot tell you in definite terms what would happen if you were to leave home without permission because we are not legal experts. Laws on that specific subject vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. What typically happens though; your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away, but since it’s only considered a statues offense the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Again this does depend on your specific state laws and police policy. There are some cases in which police won’t take a runaway report on a 17 year old because they feel as though they are adults; being able to move out of the house.

It sounds like you have been thinking about leaving for quite some time now. What would your overall plan be (i.e housing, transposition, financial stability, school options, access to food/clothes, etc)? You have also stated that you weren’t sure if your cousin would want you to say with you, if you were to reach out to him or her how would that conversation go?
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Yes I am very overwhelmed, and I was saying that there is a mess in my life I was saying that my life is a mess. I am mature, I'm sure most teenagers say that but I really am, I do everything for myself except pay my bills.... I cook my own dinner, I keep my room clean, i take care of my self and I make sure that I do everything I need to do every day. As far as supporting myself I'm trying to get a job (which is hard because my mother took away my phone) and I do online school idk if I will be able to to that if I leave but I'm not so worried about school. Also I guess I'll just have to use the clothes I bring with me until I get settled in, the only thing I'm worried about is finding a place to live. My plan is to find a job and a place to live and when I turn 16 I can get emancipated. I have $110 in cash now I know that is not much but I can use it to buy some cheep food or something to eat. I know it's not a very good plan but I can't live here for 3 more years. I think my parents might kick me out, last night my mom told me that I was an inconvenience and that she can't wait until I leave. I can't take it anymore, I'm crumbling. I don't know what would happen if I called my cousin, I have only met her like 3 times... I don't know if she would want to have me there, I think she would just tell my parents. And then they would be really really mad and I don't know what they would do... I can't talk to my parents because they always just say that I'm being overly dramatic, they think it's a phase but it's not a phase its my life, I'm a real person with really thoughts and feelings. Also I can't drive until I'm 16, I don't know how I'll get around.. But I need to get out of here.

Comment

RE: I want to runaway...

Hello,

Thank you for your response. It sounds like you have really put some thought into how you are going to survive if you did decide to leave without your legal guardian’s permission. We are so glad that you are thinking through a plan for yourself. If your parents do kick you out you have an option of filing a Neglect report with Child Help USA at 1800.422.4453, or you can call us on our hotline at 1800.786.2929.

We want to thank you for reaching out again. At this time we have provided you with multiple bulletin responses. For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. We wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Comment

running away

I'm 10 and I feel like my only hope is running away because every day I go outside and I love the freedom my mom yells at me every day and I have gone through alout I seem to only have one friend I dream of freedom and I have got everything ready to leave I want to ho and never Come back I meed freedom my parent does let me go places and I'm greatful for that but I need freedom and the closes thimg to that I ever got was going on a walk with my only friend who is older than me so he is going to a different school and he's moving so once again I will be alone with no freedom and life for me is hard so all I want to do is leave it all behind and I need this freedom because at one point in everyone's life they need freedom I feel like I'm all alone in the world all my brothers do is bully me well one does the other one sits at home all day my step sister is a brat that gets everything she wants my stepdad is a stupid persone wiho seems to care only about his daughter my mom always yells at me then me the seemingly invisable little 10 year old. With no friends that's why I need my freedom but I wouldn't know were to go I don't know of any shelters here in Canada Sydney mines

Comment

RE: Running away

Hello,

thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. If you have contacted NRS today through another means, for example other bulletins postings, for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X