Can they force me to come home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they force me to come home?

If you're reading, thank you. So I'm 16, and over the past few years I've realized that my home is extremely emotionally abusive. I've tried to talk to my parents about it. It didn't end up well for me. My question is, if I move out of here and go to live somewhere else (I'd go to my best friend's place, her mother's already said I could many times in the past and is kinda expecting me to at some point), will I be forced to come back?

If you're an ally of the LGBT* community, please keep reading. If not, please just answer what I've provided above or leave.

I guess it's sort of important to note that I'm a transboy. My parents, if it's not obvious, don't like that very much at all. If I don't get put on hormones soon I swear I may go insane. My plan in the future is to move to a new place, change my name (all of it), and start over as a new person. I don't want it to be known that I'm trans. I want to start hormones before I move away so that it won't be obvious that I'm trans... Really, I just want to know if there's a way to start over. To show my line of thinking a bit, my ideal situation would be that I fake my death or something so that my parents think I'm gone and then go start over somewhere as someone new.

Thank you again.

RE: Can they force me to come home?

Hello,

We are glad that you decided to reach out to us. Sorry to hear things at home aren’t going to well. We aren’t legal experts but we can speak generally. Since you are a minor your parents could file a runaway report, in which case if you had a run in with law enforcement or they had a reason to know where you were, you could be returned to your guardians. Have you spoken with them about possibly moving out?

It’s great that you are looking towards the future and how you want to pursue the rest of your life and know what will make you happy. It seems like your parents are denying you hormones and aren’t very supportive of your situation. That seems very difficult and frustrating. If you need more detailed help on LGBT issues you can contact the GLBT Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 or the Trevor Hotline at 1-866-488-7386. You can also contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We look forward to hearing from you. Good luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X