don't know what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't know what to do

I'm 18 and I can never seen to get along with my parents. About a month ago I said I was unhappy in the house and they said it was lack of communication. My mother has been in an awful mood the past few days and has barely spoken to me. I am rarely allowed to go anywhere and my parent's reasoning is that I don't try to communicate and I don't help out around the house. They always say everything is my fault and I'm the problem, I should be punished. I have other people who side with me so I know I'm not the problem but I have no idea what to do anymore. They won't let me go to my gramas apartment and I really do not want to be in my house but they won't willingly let me go anywhere. If i leave I am afraid they will stop paying my phone bill and insurance on my car and I don't make enough to cover all of it.. I don't know what to do.

RE: don't know what to do

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. It sounds like your family dynamic has been changing and things are hard for you right now. No one deserves to be blamed for everything and punished all the time. We are so sorry to hear this and we are here to listen and support you.

It sounds like being at home is putting some stress in your life. You mentioned that you don’t get along with your parents. It must be really hard to reach out them about how you feel being at home and have them respond in that way. It sounds like things are pretty difficult for you.

You mentioned that you no longer want to live at home and you are wanting to move in with your grandma. Being 18, in most states you are allowed to leave home without their consent. We understand that your parents are helping you out financially, with your phone bill and car insurance, and it can be difficult to break away from that. This is a great time to think about other ways that you would be able to have your phone bill and car insurance taken care of. Some examples could be finding employment with a company, or asking people around you if you would work for some extra money. Another option could be to think about is if living with your grandma is worth not having a phone or a car until you are able to pay for those items yourself.

We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail then you can always call us at 1800.786.2929 or you can chat with us every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We wish you the best of luck and happy New Year.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hey its okay

You're situation sounds a lot like mine. I know how hard it is right now. I'm almost 18 and i plan to move out because my parents are super controlling. Try getting a job? or staying with a friend? idk.. i know its really hard and you're probably stressed because i know i am and thats why im on here trying to find answers for myself. Just know that things'll work out eventually

Comment

Re: Hey its okay

Dear "Hey its okay,"

Thank you for your support and hope that "don't know what to do's" situation will work out eventually. We would also like to let you know that we are here for you if you'd like to talk about your own situation. Good luck!
        Last edited by ccsmod3; 01-05-2015, 11:16 PM.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X