im almost 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im almost 18

I want to leave but i dont know where to go or what to do. I'll be 18 in a few weeks. I cant stay here at home anymore but i dont know where to go. I still have school which makes things even trickier because i need to graduate. I cant live with the people here though because theyre abusive and i just cant do this anymore. Knowing that im almost 18 has kept me going but now that im so close to it, i dont know where to go. I want to just leave now but i cant. I have to get away from here as soon as i turn 18 i have no other choice really. I dont know what to do.

Re: I'm almost 18

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us. So sorry to hear that the people you live with right now are abusive. It sounds like you feel the need to leave when you turn 18 in a few weeks, but you don't know where to go.
    This sounds tough. Even when you are a legal adult, it can take time to save up money or find someone safe to stay with. However, there are shelters and transitional living programs in many places where you may be able to stay while you get on your feet. You can continue in high school while staying in a shelter.

We can help you look transitional living and shelters over the phone, if you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We can also conference call these programs with you. You may also consider whether there is anyone who you might be able to stay with, if this would be preferable to a shelter.

Please feel free to give us a call anytime.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

almost 18

Thank you for replying so quickly. Ive looked into places in my area such as homeless shelters for teens or anyone really and i cant find much. Im not sure how its going to work out if i stay at a shelter thats acros town from where i go to school. I dont have a job and i dont have much money. Im scared that i'll end up on the streets and thats really not where i want to be since im a girl and the possibility of bad things happening to me dont look good. I really need to leave this house but i'll be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I need to know where i can go and where it will be safe for me until i can get on my feet. I have no way to call you guys because i have no phone access so im very glad i have this at least. I need help and soon because i am worried about what might happen.

Comment

re: almost 18

Hi again,
        It sounds like you need some help finding a place to go, but it's complicated since you don't have access to a phone. You mention that you already did some research on your own, but if you would like to provide your city and state, we can share with you the information that we have about nearby shelters.

You might also consider contacting us online through live chat tomorrow. You can chat with us between the hours of 3:30-11:30pm Central Standard Time using the Live chat button on our website. That way we can discuss your options with you iin some more depth.

best,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

almost 18

Gilbert, Arizona
          I turn 18 in 3 weeks and im a girl if that makes any difference :/ please help me and thank you for what youve done.

Comment

Re: almost 18

It looks like, as you mentioned earlier, the nearest youth centers to you are not in your town. However, it may be helpful to talk to a worker there and learn more about their programs, including how young people manage getting to school from the shelters, and what kind of support exist for commuting to school.

Since you don't have a phone at the moment to call shelters, you may consider talking to someone at school such as a counselor or teacher to see if they can help you find shelter. They should be able to use a phone there to contact shelters or other resources and help you find a safe place to go. Please also feel free to use live chat to reach out to us during the day tomorrow.

These are the closest shelters that we found:
            Rapid Rehousing Young Adult Program in Mesa, AZ. Their number is (480) 969-1691

Tempe Youth Resource Center in Tempe, Arizona: 480-966-2036

Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development in Tempe, Arizona: 1.877.966.TYRC

All the best,
            NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X