Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family...

Ok soo Today June 4, Was the last day of skool 4 the summer so its a good day but im Depressed bcuz I said bye to alot of good friends and it has been exactly 10 months since Ive seen my dad. My parents are divorced and I live in FL. And my dad lives in Mass. My dad travels cross country b cuz he is a truck driver so he never knows when he is going to be home. I am suposed to see him this summer but who knows b cuz of his job. He was in FL. Like 2 weeks ago and He was not able to see me the weekend he was here. When hes home he sees my half bro + sis and buys them Things. When he realy never sees me and when my mom needs Child support to pay the bills he cant send money. He shut my phone off in september or october b cuz he couldnt afford it and so I cant get a hold of him that much Bcuz we dont have a house phone and my mom brings her cell to work with her b cuz her car doesnt run to good. And He always expects me to call him b cuz he doesnt like calling me when he has bad news. well theres alot more but I think u get the picture. So what do u think I should do??

Re: Family...

Hello,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to check in with us at the National Runaway Switchboard and we empathize with your situation greatly. We imagine that struggling with your family issues can be overwhelming and recognize your efforts to change things for the better. Its a good sign when someone so young cares so much for the important things in life. We are glad to hear that you have something good to look forward to for the summer and that today started off on a good note for you. Do you not live in the same town as most of your friends? Are there any particular feelings that you go through that make you feel depress and got stirred today? Are you suffering from lost of any kind or was it a matter of distance between you and your father that caused you to feel a lot worse? What could have happened differently to make you feel less sad about leaving your friends behind for the summer? Are you able to find time to get together with your friends for special events or sleepovers?

What are some things you are considering filling your days with in order to distract yourself from thinking about too much of the negative stuff? Is there ever a time that your father gets vacation to spend time with you or is he always on the road all year? Have you considered working out a neutral territory to meet up with your father? The distance between Massachusetts and Florida is a great one. Have you thought about going to visit where he lives to get away for a bit from your current residence? Do you get along with his current family? Have you considered staying with them for a few days? It sounds very frustrating for you with his lack of follow through on plans to visit with you? How are you coping with your feelings and thought around the issue? What do you plan on doing with keeping your communication open with your father? Since you are no longer in possession of a phone right now, we can tell it is going to limit your chances of reaching out to people you wish to stay in touch with. Have you thought about writing to him to express how you are feeling?

We are not in a position to tell you what to do but we want to be there for you in case you are interested in our services or resources. If you feel we can help by just listening, we want to help with that also. We imagine that it is not going to be easy to reach us without a phone but you can call from any pay phone for free. We are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week at 1800-RUNAWAY. We hope that you find ways to stay distracted until you are able to figure something out with your father or confide in someone that you trust because we imagine it is not going to be easy dealing with these issues on your own. The other legal issues, such as child support should be something your mother try to figure out, with the courts if you and her are struggling without his help. Another way for us to help you is to locate the right people to contact to find out more about these legal issues. We hope that you give some thought to what we stated and we wish you all the best for a much better summer.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Well I am used to not seein my dad for long periods of time but it has never been this long. but i am sure to get over it b cuz I am due to see him within the next few weeks so I should really be happy not upset...So thats what I am happy! Well The reason I am upset about my friends is I wont see them over the summer and 1/2 of them Are goin to new skools next year Its justthe end of the year sadness everyone gets I guess. But thanx 4 everything and Ure Abstinence Program is great Ms. Glanville is an Awesome person and Instructor!!

Comment

Hello,

So nice of you to write to us so soon with regards to your feelings surrounding the difficulties you are facing with trying to stay connected with you father. We are excited for the news that you are going to see him in the next few weeks and hope that both of you can find some time to sit down and discuss ways to make it easier to connect on a more frequent basis. We imagine it is hard for you to have such a large distance geographically but that in time, both of you can stick together as you figure out ways to maintain a sound relationship. Have you decided what you might say to your father when you get the chance to see him? Ten months is certainly a long time but we wonder if you can go visit with him even when he cannot come to see you right away.

We hope that you are not too hard on yourself but you have every reason to be upset. It sounds like you really care for your father a lot and if seeing him more often meant remaining happy we see nothing wrong with that. Therefore, we imagine that you are truly looking forward to more good things this summer as you try to figure out what direction your relationship with your father is headed in but also those of your friends. Are you also considering going away to school? We recognize that visiting friends in distant schools can be a drag and that you need proper planning ahead of time to visit everyone. Have you thought about looking into those friends staying in touch with you or visiting home often, if you decided not to leave town for school? What are some things you can concentrate on in order to keep communication open with those you are worried about not having enough time to see?

Are you able to talk with your mother about setting up an easy way to get around to seeing your friends during breaks? We are not certain of your age or whether you are talking about high school level or college. However, we imagine it is going to be easier to stay in touch with high schools friend because their parents can stay in town. College on the other hand is a completely different level but friends do come home in the summers or other seasons. We encourage you to start talking to friends, if you are comfortable with it, to start sharing information to stay in touch. However, we empathize with your disheartening situation. Thank you for keeping in touch and we look forward to helping in any other way we can. Good luck.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X