No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help

    im 18, born in Ca, my parents separated when i was 8 and my mom brought me out to Ny remarried and had a son. im absolutely nothing like her, i only want the best for others and i strive to make others happy. her negative attitude has worn me down for years. the verbal abuse was enough to make me feel crazy, i honestly blame that stress for why i have to take anxiety meds. the verbal abuse turned physical a few times.. of course id never want to hurt her so i was just attacked.. im constantly getting grounded and over punished. my boyfriend of 5 months and his whole family adores me and would take me in. im thinking about leaving tomorrow night, i already wrote a note to my mother. whats killing me is that i dont want to hurt my brother, he adores me and i want the best for him, hes only 8 now. and if i do go ill still have rides to finish my senior year of hs and to and from my work. please help.

  • #2
    Re: help

    Hi there,

    Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot right now and we are here to help you out the best we can.

    It sounds like you have been having a hard time at home because of your relationship with your mom. You shared that she has been verbally and physically abusive in the past and it has contributed to your anxiety. Have you ever thought about making a report? You do not deserve to be abused in any way by anyone. You deserve to feel safe at home.

    It sounds like you have a lot of support from your boyfriend and his family which is really good to hear. We want to let you know we are not legal experts, but generally speaking at the age of 18, in most states, you are considered a legal adult. This means that you are legally allowed to make your own decisions. It sounds like you are still in high school, which understandably may complicate things. One option you have is to call your local police department and ask any questions that you have hypothetically. This can be intimidating sometimes, so if you want to call us at 1800runaway, we can make a call out with you.

    You said that you are worried about leaving your brother which has got to be a really hard thing to think about. Do you think it’s possible to leave home on some sort of terms that would allow for you to visit your brother sometimes? Is there any sort of compromise that can be reached with your mom regarding your living situation, and seeing your brother?

    We are here to support you in any way that we can. If you would like to reach out over chat from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST, you can do so through our website at, or you can call us any time on our anonymous and confidential hotline at 1800runaway.

    Good luck and stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove