Sort of running away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of running away?

I'm 18 years old and I live in Georgia. I live with my dad & my sister. My dad is an alcoholic and has been since almost as long as I can remember. Lately he has caught me smoking ciggaretes & I've called him out on his drinking (which he thinks my sister and I had no idea about). All of that is almost beside the point. I asked him to go stay the night with a friend tonight because it's my last night in town. He said no because of the cigarette situation & I told him I was going to leave anyways. He told me if I left I would come back in handcuffs. Is there anything the police can do if he calls them after I leave? I'm 18 & I've told him exactly where I'm going so I wouldn't be a missing person either...

RE: Sort of running away?

Hello,
    We are sorry to hear you’re having some issues with your family and feel depressed sometimes. That’s got to be tough to deal with. Maybe there is a way that you can talk to your parents about what you are feeling, including how you are being treated unfairly by your mom and sister. Here’s what looks like a pretty good website article that might give you some suggestions on how to talk to your parents.
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind....html#cat20448
    If you are considering running away you might want to think about where you would go, how you would stay safe, and how this might affect other goals you have. It’s a big decision, but you don’t have to face it alone. We are here for you if you want to discuss your options.
    You mentioned that you’d like someone to talk to. We are here 24/7 and are totally anonymous and confidential. Although we can’t tell you what to do, we are here to listen and help in whatever way we can. Maybe there are other resources we can look up for you. Just give us a call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

What

Your answer didn't even apply to my original post. I don't even live with my mom. I thought u guys would help.

Comment

Re: What

Hi there,

We apologize for the response you received to your original post. Due to the large amount of bulletins and emails we receive on a daily basis as well as the variety of different threads on the bulletin board, occasionally responses are posted incorrectly by accident and we apologize about this. We want to thank you for reaching out to us and for letting us know our mistake as well. We are here to help you out the best that we can.

So it sounds like you are living with your dad and your sister and things have been tough at home. You shared with us that your dad is an alcoholic and has been for a long time. This has to be a lot to handle as his child. Have you heard of Al Anon before? This is a program that is strictly for families and loved ones of alcoholics, whereas Alcoholics Anonymous is for alcoholics themselves. There are meetings all around the country, and the purpose of the organization is to offer support to loved ones that have seen/are seeing and dealt with/are dealing with the effects a loved one’s addiction has on them. If you are interested in looking for a meeting near you, or just learning more about what Al Anon is you can visit the website here: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

It sounds like because your dad has found out about your smoking cigarettes, things at home have gotten worse. You said that he is not letting you go to your friend’s because of the cigarette situation. How long have you been smoking for? We are not here to tell you what to do, because you know your situation better than we do. Our main priority is always your safety. It sounds like you have a safe place that you are trying to go to, and you shared that you are 18. We are not legal experts here, but in most states the legal age of an adult is 18. That means that if you leave home, you do not need consent from anyone to do so. If your dad were to call the police, they would likely not take a runaway report (assuming that in your state the legal age of an adult is 18 ).

If you do leave home at an age where legally you are recognized as an adult, but your guardians do not want you to leave the house yet, it can be tough to determine what steps to take. Things that are helpful to think about are how dependent on your guardians (or now former guardians) are you? Whether it be financially, emotionally, etc. If you do leave home on bad terms, and down the road you find that you need a place to stay or find out you cannot quite make it on your own yet, do you think they will be willing to take you back in? Is there anyone else in your life that you think you would be able to stay with if “plan A” does not go as planned?

We are here to support you the best that we can. If you would like to explore your situation further, either with possible options or resources, please call us at 1800runaway. You can also join us on chat from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X