Can't stand mom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stand mom

So, I'm a male, 19, and I unfortunately still live at home. Well, at my mother's house with her husband. So to start off, ever since my mom divorced my father, I lived with her for 7 years. During those years, I hardly spent time with her because she was too busy with her career and having cocktails at her job. I was home alone most days so that took a toll on my psyche. I moved in with my dad because of this, lived with him for 7 years, and moved back in with mom because i couldn't stand my step mother. Now that I'm back with her, nothing is ever good enough for her. I hsve a job, got a promotion, bought my own car. But all she says is i should be doing better. I work my myself sick sometimes and she calls me a wimp. My brother or sister, who are from another marriage of hers, can't stand her either. We feel like she will only accept us if we are doctors or make 6 figures. That's all she cares about is how much money someone has. She goes on vacation with no one but her. She treats her co workers better then her children. Ive developed depression and social anxiety from the whole experience and I can't stand it and i don't know what to do. Every single decision i make she says is stupid, ridiculous and she looks at me like I'm not even her child. I don't know what to do anymore !

re: can't stand mom

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you have quite a bit going on at this point in your life. From what you have shared, it seems like you are pretty mature for your age and seem to have your life together. It is amazing that you were able to get a promotion and buy your own car. It shows that you are able to take things into your own hands and be able to support yourself if needed.

So, from what you have shared, it seems like you have had some troubles living with her in the past, as well as your dad. Have you considered talking to your mother about how you have been feeling? Sometimes the simplest things can make the situation better. Maybe you have tried talking to her in the past, perhaps this time you can have a different approach and think about how she might listen to you. Sometimes an approach that can work is writing your mom a letter and letting her know how you are feeling. It might sound a little corny, but this way you would be able to leave it for her somewhere where she would open it when you are not around. By doing this, she would be able to take in what you say and process the information and possibly react differently.

Also, from what you shared, you are no longer a minor. Have you considered moving out? This might seem like a long stretch but perhaps you would be interested in the Job Corps program where you would be able to do a job training program and they can also help you get on your feet. If this is something you are interested you can call the Job Corps hotline at 1-800-733-5627.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to, we are here 24/7 and will be more than happy to help you with whatever you might need. We wish you the best of luck with everything.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X