my sister abuses me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my sister abuses me

I live at home with my parents and my 20 year old sister, and her 1 year old son. ( her husbands in prison, go figure!) I am 17 and a half, almost to the day. it seems like every week we (my sister and i) are fighting about something and she is always resulting to beating me up to the point I cant even walk straight. ( i am 130 lbs, 5 foot 5, she is 250 lbs 5 foot 9, quite a difference) she will fight me right next to her baby while he is balling his eyes out screaming. she will only beat me up when we are alone and not around my parents and since i leave before it gets any worse, they hear her story first, and blame me for the whole fight. every time we fight i leave, just to get away from her. i usually go to my aunts house, where i am safe. she wont let mom and dad come get me because she knows how my sister is. I am getting to the point i am scared to even go home because everything i say she thinks im talking crap about her or her very very bad parenting. but i'm not. I do not want to live at home anymore. i am graduating early from high school in a couple of days as well. i have a job, a car and my aunt will let me live with her, but my parents refuse to let me leave, even though I can take care of my self. what can I do?? I live in Missouri I heard that if you run away at 17 and can prove you can live on your own safely that your parents cant do anything about it. i am being abused and no one will believe me!! my parents aren't doing anything about it, and if they don't kick her bumming A$$ out I WILL run away. I have a very complex mind and I know I could get away with it and not get caught. But I want to be mature about it and do it the legal way, instead of disappearing off the face of the earth.

Re: my sister abuses me

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home and we are here to help you out the best that we can.

So it sounds like you have been getting in fights with your sister, both verbally and physically and it has been making you feel unsafe at home. It is totally understandable that you would feel this way and we want to let you know that you do not deserve any type of abuse from anyone. You deserve to feel safe at home. It sounds like you have tried to talk to your parents about all of this and nothing has changed which has got to be really frustrating. Have you ever thought about contacting Child Protective Services? It is possible to make a report about anyone that is harming you at home, it does not necessarily have to be a guardian-just someone else living under the same roof. If this is something you want to explore more, or would like help making a report, you can call us at 1800runaway (786 2929).

It is really good to hear that you have so much support from your aunt, and that you feel safe with her. It is really nice to be able to leave and go to a safe place with someone that cares about you. It sounds like your parents will not let you live with her long term, have you talked to them about what it is that bothers them about this idea? Do you know if your aunt has talked to your parents about it?

You asked about leaving at the age of 17 in Missouri, and whether or not the police would bring you back home. We want to let you know that we are not legal experts here, but generally speaking until you turn the age of a legal adult (18 typically), if you leave home without permission from your guardians they have the right to make a runaway report. If they do, and the police find you, they usually would just bring you back home. 17 can be more of a grey area in some states, and things like you staying with other family, and not feeling safe in your own home may be taken into consideration. One option we always let youth know is to call your local nonemergency police department number and ask any legal questions that you have hypothetically, to see how they would handle your situation. If this is something you are not entirely comfortable doing, you can call us and we can make the call out for you.

We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. If you would like to call us and explore your options further, we are here 24/7 and our line is anonymous and confidential at 1800runaway. We also have chat available from 4:30pm to 11:30pm Central time if you are more comfortable talking online.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X