17 year old runaway turning 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: Less Than Two Months Until I'm 18.

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 17 will be 18 in may i want to run away

I am 17 and I'm on probation. I want to leave I feel like if I stay here I will kill myself. My boyfriend lives in California and he wants me to live with him. I live in Utah and I am on probation till I'm 20. I don't want to stay here and I need advice. I need to know what I'm getting myself into and I really want to know what will happen if I leave and I'm on probation with juvenile court. I need help I really want to leave. I want to run away.

Comment

• RE: I'm 17 will be 18 in may i want to run away.

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public bulletin board. From what you have told us about your situation it sounds like you have are going through a very hard time right now and seem to be very overwhelmed with everything that is going on. It must be very frustrating not to know what steps you are able to take to better your situation. You stated that if you stay at home you feel like you will kill yourself. If you ever feel like you are in danger of either someone hurting you or even hurting yourself, feel free to call out to the local police. They can come by and check up on things to make sure everything is okay.

Unfortunately, here at the NRS we cannot tell you in definite terms what would happen if you were to leave home without permission because we are not legal experts. Laws on that specific subject vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. What typically happens in state though if you’re under the age of majority (which is 18 in most states); your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do leave the house, but since it’s only considered a statues offense the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Again this does depend on your specific state laws and police policy.

You have also mentioned that you were currently on probation and you’re not sure of what would happen if you were leave the state. Now like we have stated earlier, we aren’t legal experts at all so we can’t tell you for sure what will happen. Probation can be tricky thing where based on what crime that you have committed to order to get onto probation to being with, the consequences might be a little different. Meaning that when you appeared in court and/or your hearing, the judge laid out what you were required to do while on probation. If you have any questions about what those might be or what are the consequences are for failing to meet them, you can probably get in touch with your current probation officer. They can give you a more direct answer to your question.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• 17 year old sister

Hi I have a 17 year old sister she is going to turn 18 in September, our guardians moved to a one bedroom and have been making her move from couch to couch. She has signed her self in to school not once but twice in the last 2 years. She is almost done with highschool I have a bedroom for her and every need she could possibly have. She is get verbal metal and physical abuse there. She wants a job, I have one lined up for her. Can she move in with me without getting into trouble or me getting into trouble??

Comment

• RE: 17 year old sister

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your message it sounds like your older sister is going through a very hard time right now with your parents making her sleep from couch to couch. It must be very frustrating not to know what your next steps are going to be when it comes supporting your sister in this situation. No one has the right your sister that way. Any abuse, whether it be physical, verbal/mental, sexual, or neglect can be reported to the child protective services in your city/state or to your local police. If she doesn’t feel like that is something that she can do on her own, she can always call us to help her with that process if she choose to go down that path. It’s brave of you to reach out during yours and your sister’s time of need.

Laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. Generally what typically happens in state though since your sister is under the age of majority (which is 18 in most states); your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick her up and bring her back home. The age 17 is always a little tricky because there are some instances where the police will not file a runaway report. They might see the youth as an adult and therefor letting them leave the house without parental permission; especially so close to being 18.

Your parents may give you permission to live with another family member, but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for her. Which means that they can also take away that permission at any given moment and take her back home to live with them once again while 17 years old. If your sister were to leave home and live with you, think about what your parent’s might do in that situation. Either give her permission or file a runaway report. If your sister would give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help her find resources in the area and could potentially help her brainstorm a possible solution to the issues she is having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).

Comment

• want to leave home

I'm 17 I'll be 18 in just four months I want to move out of my house but my mother won't let new I might be pregnant but not sure i don't wanna stay there any longer then I have to please help me

Comment

• Want to leave Home

Hello,
                Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you want to move out from your mother’s home before you reach your 18th birthday.
                It sounds like you also think you might be pregnant.

We would like to hear more about your situation so we might examine with you what options you are considering. Legally we are not experts at NRS but we can assist you with location local legal aid services that might assist you with learning what legal options you might have.
                How does that sound?

Please consider calling 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visiting www.1800runaway.org NRS live chat to consider some options or talk about your situation. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
                Let us know how we might help you.

Thanks again for reaching out to NRS.

Take Care

Comment

• 17 year old runaway wanting to stay with grandparents

I live in Oklahoma im 21 and my ex is 17 and graduated and wants to go to college but her mom will not let her cause she makes her babysit constantly everyday all day so wanted to stay with her grandparents who are amazing people and her mom will not let her and tryed forcing her to move away with her to Iowa so she ran away to her grandparents house and is hiding out in one of there other houses so she called the cops and filled a mussing persons report wich my ex did not know as soon as she found out she turned her self in and she refuses to go with her mom to Iowa and says she will run away again if she can't stay with her grandparents and go to colledg...if she refuses will the cops let her stay with her grandparents or will something else happen

Comment

• re: 17 year old runaway wanting to stay with grandparents

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us, this situation sounds very difficult and frustrating. It sounds like you care about this person's well-being and you want them to be safe. It's great that she has someone supportive like you in her life.

This sounds like a legal matter, and at the National Runaway Safeline we can only speak generally when it comes to situations that involve the law. In general, running away is a status offense and basically what that means is when you’re a minor and your legal guardian files a runaway report, that local police department is able to bring the youth home.
                    Again, we are really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to have the courage to talk about these things and it’s really great that you messaged us. If you’d like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here 24/7 and we are confidential.

Good luck to you,

NRS

Comment

• i am 17

When I was fourteen I ran away from home and police got me to stay at home, I'm 16 now and I'm still going out with the same guy who I was with. I will be graduating next year a month before I'm 18. What can happen to me if I do runaway from a state to state?

Comment

• RE: i am 17

Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life and at home right now that your considering leaving your home. We are here to help you in any way that we can.

Like we tell a lot of our callers, the laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. You could ask hypothetical questions that they can answer for you. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. This is of course if you had any interaction with the police directly or if they stopped you to ask you a few questions. There are times that the police won’t take a police report for someone that is so close to turning 18 because they consider them adults. So that is why we suggest calling your non-emergency police number to find out for sure.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).

Comment

• 17 & pregnant to turn 18

What can happen to my bf whom i am currently living with (23, my parents know and are OK with it) goes to the clinic with me? Can the clinic press charges on my bf or does that only correspond to my parents and myself?

Comment

• RE: 17 & pregnant to turn 18

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your post on our public bulletin board, it sounds like you are going through a hard time right now trying to figure out your next step. We are here to listen and here to help in any possible way that we can. Seems like it’s getting very overwhelmed with everything that has been going on. It’s brave of you to reach out during your time of need.

Now we can’t speak for every clinic in the United States and the types of questions that they are going to be asking you, but if you’re going to the clinic for your pregnancy then it might be safe to assume that your doctors/nurse might focus their questions on you. If you’re worried about how they might react because of the age difference between you guys depending on your state you might be already over the age of consent. Meaning that you can legally consent or agree to have sex with someone else. For your more information on your specific state you can visit this website (http://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/) which lays out rules that pertain to having sex, being safe, sex ed, pregnancy information, etc. If you’re still worried about the clinic that you’re going to, you can always call them directly and ask them more information about what kind of questions they might be asking you at the time of your visit.

Comment

• I don't know what to do.

Hi,
                              So a couple days ago I got into trouble with the police and my grandparents took everything from me including where I want to live. They tried secretly sending me to Alabama to live with my dad but I heard them talking about it because they took my door off in my room. I said I wasn't going and they said that, If I left, they wouldn't look for me. So I'm thinking about running away. Most part is because I don't wanna move and they are talking about Home schooling. I turn 16 in 5 months but that's too far from now. My friends parents talked to me and said I can stay with them for as long as I need and I have a job so I can afford the things that I need. Its not like I'm bad at all. That was my first time getting arrested and I'm never going to hear the end of it with my parents. Especially because I'm not allowed to go anywhere and they took my phone and tried to give it away to my cousin. I really need help because I don't wanna get in trouble with the police. Is it illegal to run away? Please help.

Comment

• RE: I don't know what to do.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your situation with us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Unfortunately we are not legal experts at NRS so we can only speak generally about runaway laws. Now each state has their own set of rules regarding runaways, but typically if someone under 18 years old leaves home without permission their legal guardians can file a runaway report. This would mean that there could be legal consequences for any adult who the runaway youth is staying with and that the police could bring you back to your legal guardians. If you would like to know more about the specific legal consequences in your situation we have a large database of resources that include legal aid services that we could provide to you with if that would be helpful.

Have you considered discussing your situation with your grandparents? Perhaps through a letter or email to figure out the best long term option for you? If your grandparents were open to discussing your situation, what would be your goal for the conversation (as in where you would want to live)? If you don’t feel like that is something you feel comfortable with doing, we can surely try to help you with that communication with you and your family. We offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where your grandparents, yourself, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. How do you feel about that?

At NRS we are available 24/7 via our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929 to discuss your options and situation. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org). We could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X