Annoyed with Family

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoyed with Family

I'm 15 and my mom and I constantly fight. I don't really want to run away but, I want to stay with my friends or my boyfriend for a couple of days, they only live 15 minutes away. I know that I am going to want to go home I just want to get away, I can't stand it anymore. Are there any legal issues or anything here? I live in Maine.

Re: Annoyed with Family

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re going through a difficult situation at home with your mom, but were glad you reached out to us.

We’re not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. Although it’s not a criminal offense to run away, your mom can file a runaway report with the police if you were to leave home. Filing the runaway reports means that if the police find you on the street, they can bring you back home to your mom because you’re a minor. In addition anyone that you’re staying with can be charged with harboring a runaway. It sounds like things with your mom have been tough. Have you talked to her about wanting to leave? One thing that is helpful to think about is what would need to change at home in order for you to stay?

It’s nice that you have thought of a plan for yourself in regards to where you would go if you leave and who you can stay with. If you feel you need additional resources please feel free to reach out to us at NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) where we are here 24/7 and everything we discuss is confidential and anonymous. If you’re not comfortable talking with us we have a live chat Monday-Sunday from 4:30-11:00 EST. We wish you the best of luck and know that we are always here to help and listen.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X