X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you were trying to run away from your home, because of your mom and her alcoholic boyfriend. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, We’re not legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you decide to leave you mom’s home without her permission, she can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, can face charges for harboring a runaway. If there is abuse going on in your home, you can contact the national child abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453. . You can call anonymous, and if necessary, file a child abuse report and someone from child protective services would be in contact within 48 hours.

If you feel like your safety is ever at risk, is ever at risk, you can text the word safe and your location to 44357. The National Safe Place will send you a nearby location to go to, and if necessary, a case worker will go out to assist you. Safe places location vary by city and state, to learn more you can look it up online at the nationalsafeplace.org.

We hope these options and resources have been of some help. If you need additional sources, or want us to call somewhere on your behalf, you can reach out to us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    I am a fifteen-year-old boy I live in Braselton ga and i cannot stand my mom or her alcoholic boyfriend and I just have thought about a lot of things like should I run away but the thing is. I have already talked to my grandparents and both of them know that I am leaving my mom's house when I turn 16 and I'm not coming back.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. You said that your parents aren't that great at actually being parents, if you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

It may be beneficial to speak with your grandparents directly about your desire to live with them. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am adopted and my parents aren't that great of parents and I want to live with my grandparents but I don't know how I can legally live with them

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot lately, you do not deserve to be put down. If you feel like this could be emotional abuse you can contact Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave your home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. One option to consider is to have a conversation with your parents and grandparents about how you feel. We know that these conversations can be difficult, at NRS we offer conference calling. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to provide support to you. You can also consider talking to your school counselor about what is going on, sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I am 14 years old and I cannot stand the way I get treated by my parents. They call me the worst names,always putting me down,assuming that I'm a liar, I just can't take it anymore. I want to move in with my grandparents but I want to do it without having to go through court. My parents do not know I feel like this and my grandparents do not know I want to move out. What do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hello to anyone listening... or reading. I am a 16 year old girl (I am biracial, just for clarity later), I live in Georgia, I have 2 siblings that live with my mom, her (new) husband and I; as well as 2 siblings who live with my father and his wife. Today something bad happened and it was my fault because I wasn't thinking, it's a long story but my (verbally and emotionally) abusive mother was very angry with me, not going to lie I probably would be too b/c of what I did. (It's not drugs or alcohol or anything illegal or sexual, I am a very good teenager.) Anyway, not the point my mother has always been very emotionally and verbally abusive. For example, she once threw my toilet seat at my head, a mason jar at my head, along with a dresser. She has held me down and chocked me before as well. She hasn't hit me or done something crazy like those examples before in a while but it's just a matter of time. She takes her anger out on me and my (real, not half) brother, I cry often because I dont want him to go through what I have with her and I can already see it happening. My mother curses at my brother and I often, she screams and yells, calls us useless (so does my "step-dad".) There are many more things she has done and said that is just a handful. My "step-dad" called me a ni**er once before when mom and him were arguing, I wasn't even doing anything just standing there. Okay so that's just some background but I have been asking my friends (who know my mom well) what they think I should do and etc. they have always called her crazy and I am just now starting to see it. My whole family knows how crazy and strict my mother is, they are all always checking up on me and looking out for me. Anyway my friends said I could choose to live with my dad or one of my grandparents, and we would have to go to court and if we won my mom would have to give up her rights or give them custody of me, etc. Any advice? I don't know what to do. I have been wanting to live with my grandmother for years and I am just now getting the guts to act on it. Please help!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us we know it can be difficult to talk about what you’re going through sometimes. We want you to know that you do not deserve to be treated or spoken to that way at all. It is valid for you to want to leave the situation and we are glad you are reaching out for help. You mentioned past physical abuse as well as ongoing verbal abuse, if you feel it is necessary and are comfortable with it we would urge you to consider filing an abuse report. You could get some help filing an abuse report by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or calling Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at 1-800-422-4453. We know it can be difficult to talk about abuse to strangers but we are here to help and support you. It seems like your main goal is to go live with your grandparents who have rights to see you and who have cared for you in the past. If your mother was to file a runaway report when you leave and the police were to find you they would try to get you back home to her, but since there is a type of case between your grandparents and your mother there might be a chance for your grandparents to take the case to court again with new evidence of neglect and abuse and possibly gain full custody of you. So basically, you can leave and decide to runaway to your grandparents without informing your mother or Jeff, but that doesn’t guarantee they won’t actively search for you. It does help your situation though, that you are with relatives and that those relatives have taken the situation to court before. We wish you the best of luck with either decision you make or hope you find yourself in a safer place soon. If you feel the need to find a temporary shelter at any point we can also provide those resources for you through a call or chat. You have been very brave and resilient going through what you’ve been dealing with. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to start a chat with us or give us a call, Child Help is also a great resource to reach out to if you would prefer to contact them.

Guest replied
    I am 16 and live with my mother, younger brother and his father. I am wondering if i can live with my grandparents without telling my mom, my mother is very verbally abusive, any time she gets mad at anything, this includes work and random things like spilling a drink, she takes it out on me telling me how I am worthless and that she does all of the work around the house, when she lost her job a few years back she blamed it on me and it made me feel horrible, anything that happens to her it seems is always my fault so she is always yelling at me. When i was little my mom split from my dad and she and I stayed with her parents, my grandparents, who i loved dearly since i lived with them from the age of 2 to 5, but when she got mad at them she decided to take me away and move in with one of the neighbors. This man's name is Jeff, when we moved my grandparents took my mom to court for custody of me because they knew that my mother is not able to handle stress without taking it out on others, they ended up getting visitation rights for every other Wednesday and the 4th Sunday of the month, keep that in mind. Jeff ended up being my brother's dad Jeff used to physically hurt me when he got mad and one time the child services person came to my house and my mom made me say i was fine and then got mad at me afterwards. Jeff is not physically abusive anymore now that i am bigger than him but still both Jeff and my mother are both very verbally abusive and any time i try to tell them about anything that they are doing wrong or when i try to defend myself they say that its my fault and make me feel sad to the point i cant say anything more to them, this applies more to my mother than Jeff, i was just wanting to know if there is some way i can go to my grandparents and stay there without having to talk to them about it

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a challenging situation. Unfortunately, If you or your brother are minors and you mom has guardianship and you leave without her permission she could file a runaway report. If you were to stay with a friend and the police locate you they could be charged with harboring a runaway. We are not legal experts but basically you would need your mom’s permission to move with someone else. If you want to explore this further, give us a call at 1800-Runaway. We are confidential and here to help!

Guest replied
    I can’t stand the way my brother treats me and my mom, is there anyway he could leave or I could live with my grandparents (maybe not permanently because he might me going off to the military), any advice would help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

From what you shared, it sounds like your parents have been very controlling and have been putting a lot of pressure on you. It is really responsible of you to recognize that getting some space could be good for your well-being. The easiest way to leave home before you turn 18 would be with your parents' permission. Perhaps your grandmother would be able to help you talk to your parents about living with her. Sometimes having an adult advocate who your parents trust can help open communication and keep the conversation calm. We are also available to be an advocate and support for you while you navigate this challenging situation. If you are able to call our hotline (800-786-2929) we can facilitate a conference call with your parents to advocate for your needs and make sure you feel heard.

Do not hesitate to reach out anytime by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in detail about your situation and explore possible options. We are here to listen and help.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My parents are divorced and they both have different points of view on how my life is going to go. I feel as if my opinion doesn’t matter anymore and I honestly want to get away from it even only for a little bit. I was thinking about moving in with my grandma for my remaining semesters. The high school by her is pretty nice and I might move back with my mom after I finish the year. I just need a break. Is there a possibility I could do that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you have really been through it and leaving school did not work out as planned, and has made things worse. That cannot be easy to deal with. Your feelings of being depressed and significant and you deserve to be supported during this difficult time.

As hard as it is, you might think of ways to approach your mom about how you are feeling that she would best respond to. If your grandmother is supportive, you might try to let her know how you are feeling too. Maybe she can help you talk to your mom about it. She might also be able to help you get local mental health treatment if you are interested in doing talk therapy. If it is too hard to talk to your mom and grandmother, sometimes writing a heartfelt letter explaining how you are feeling and what you need could help. Here at NRS, we do have a conference call service, if you would like to have a mediated conversation with your mom about how you are feeling. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are interested in that service.

It seems like you are maybe nervous to tell your mom everything since she initially gave you the choice to leave. It's understandable that you are feeling that way, however, you always deserve to have your feelings heard when you are feeling like this. To "just suck it up and deal with the depression" could make things even worse in the long run. There are options and supportive service out there that might be able to help. Plus it seems like your mom took how you are feeling into account when making decisions about your schooling; maybe she might want to know if you are unhappy with the current arrangement so she can try to help again.

Please know that you can always call or chat us: 1-800-RUNAWAY, www.1800runaway.org if you would like to talk to someone or help looking for local resources. You might also consider reaching out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) if you would like to focus on the depression 1-800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741.

Best of luck,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X