No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I'm 15 and I can't stand too live with my mom anymore she has anger issues and everything and I'm worried if he might try too hit me cause we're in a conversation about me saying with my grandmother and that I want my full child support money cause she's always been keeping it and my other too siblings money and she's all angry and stuff talkin about being disrespectful and I'm currently at grandmother house so if I call the cops if she try's too come and get me can I tel the cops that I'm worried that she might hit me cause I am will they let me stay with grandmother & my mom has full custody

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We are here to help you and support you as best we can. It looks like you might be in a very frustrating situation, but it’s very courageous of you to reach out and ask for help.It’s understandable to feel like you can’t live there anymore. What you described might be considered emotional abuse.

It’s not ok to be fearful of your mother, or feel threatened by her. No one has the right to make you feel that way. You asked whether you can call the cops and tell them how you feel.

If you don’t feel safe at home with your mother, please call the cops immediately and let them know how you feel. Calling the cops is a good option, but you also have many other options.We will offer some of them, provide some resources for you, but the best way we can help you is by offering resources based on details you provide while talking over the phone or by chatting online.

Another option you have is talking to school personnel. Have you spoken to your counselor or social worker at school? You can also talk to your favorite teacher about what is going on at home with your mother.

If you’re not enrolled in a school, you can try talking to other relatives. Maybe they can help your situation by talking to your mom. Have you considered spending some time living with other relatives other than your grandmother? Is that an option available for you to consider? Will your mother be ok with that?

Here at NRS, we offer 2 mediation services.The first is a messaging service. We can relay a message to your mom on your behalf. For us to do this, however, you must call us and give us the message over the phone.We also offer a conference call option. If you call us, we can mediate a conference call between you and your mom.

Again, it’s not ok to be treated the way you are being treated, it might be considered child abuse. Because of this, another option available to you is filing a child abuse report.

We have many other resources for you, but would need for you to call us or chat with us online through our website. Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.

You can reach us online at www.1800runaway.org or by phone at 1-800-786-2929

• I'm 17 in R.I. and my family has gotten kicked out of the last three houses we lived in. I'm currently living in a campground with my family and they are planning on moving to Wisconsin. I don't want to go with them for many reasons. I was planning on joining the R.I. National Guard, I have to leave my girlfriend and all of my friends, my family has no money like there is almost never any food unless someone gives us some and I am depressed and am always angry now. I cant get emancipated because I don't have a job (because of the situation) and I also don't have a license. My aunt and grandfather both said I could live with them but my mom is refusing to let me stay. Can I just leave and go live with them?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-19-2017, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Im 17 in RI

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline .

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your family has fallen on some hard times that have led you all to experience homelessness.
      We are sorry to hear how difficult it has been for you. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this rough time.
      Moving in with your grandparents sounds like something you feel would make things more stable for you. The legal age to move from your parent’s home is 18 however given the circumstances of your lack of housing you or your grandparents might consider seeking legal counseling for emergency transfer of custody in family court. We are not legal experts on the issue, but we may be able to provide you with some legal aid resources in your area.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 15 years old I live with my mom and step father I am from Puerto Rico where my grandparents live I want to come live with them because I am living in an environment that I believe to be not healthy at all. I know my mother loves me and I don`t want to make her feel bad that I want to go live with my grandparents. The reason I want to go live with is because my step father is really abusive and does not respects you in general. I am scared for mine and my sister’s safety please help.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-31-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• I need some advice my parents are emotionally and physically abusive and I don't feel safe around my dad but I don't have any marks or anything I don't know what to do we just moved to Texas from Portland and I have no one here but I have a lot of relatives and friends in Portland that would be more than happy and have offered to house me but I don't know what to do to get my parents to let me I’ve talked with them about it before but they don't care and just dismissed it as unrealistic.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-31-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I'm 15 years old i live with my mom and step father

Hello,
            Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being.
            If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate.
            If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household.
            It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.

Take care,
            NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Reply: I need some advice my parents

Hello,
              Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being.
              If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household.

It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

You don’t deserve to be abused by anyone and it is not your fault that this is happening.

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
              Take care,
              NRS

Comment

• I'm in the same position in a way. I mean I'm not getting hit or anything like that but my parents play mind games with me. for example if I get a b I'm grounded even though ive tried my very best. They don't believe me when I tell them the truth. They take my phone away for months on end if I do one thing wrong. I get screamed at and called stupid if I cant do something right. For example: this was so stupid; my dad told me to wrap the bread up in tin foil for the grill and I thought I did it right. he walks in and sees I didn't do it right apparently, he then goes on to scream at me and curse me out and tell me I'm stupid. He then threatens me to not be able to do anything with my friends if I do something wrong. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We hope that our response will be helpful and we want you to know that you’re not alone in this.

From what you mentioned in your forum post, it sounds like you’re being emotionally/verbally abused at home. Emotional/verbal abuse can be just as painful as physical abuse. Your parents should never be screaming at you or calling you those names. It sounds like you’re just trying your best to help around the house. You are definitely able to make an abuse report. We at NRS can help make those reports for you. There’s also Child Help (800) 422-4453 , they can make abuse reports for you but they also help youth find ways to get their custody transferred to a safe adult or family member in your life. Talking to a school counselor or a teacher that you’re close with about home life and how your parents treat you, could give you some additional support and maybe help think up options. We are also here if you’d like to talk more about home life and go over some more options.

Again, you’re not alone and we’re here to help in anyway. If you wanted to talk more about the options that we listed, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our number is (800) 786-2929 and we’re 24/7. We also have a chatting service through our website, but it’s not open 24/7.

Stay safe, NRS

• Heey , I'm about to be 16 in a couple more days . I moved with my daddy when I was younger .. but now that I'm in age it's like my daddy don't even care no more his main concern is about work he is selfish with us time . At one point he started to put his hands on me that leaded up to 2 more times I'm just so tired . My cousin is adopted and we have been so close I was wondering if her adopted mom can take me in also

Comment

• ccsmod0
                  ccsmod0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it and do have the right to report it. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support. We say this because generally, the age of majority is 18 which means that until that age you have to live where your guardians tell you. So if you leave home without guardians consent they have the right to file you as a runaway and have the police look for you. If the police found you they would return you home, unless you report abuse or neglect. You also mentioned that you are hoping that you cousins adopted mother can adopt you as well. While we are not legal experts we do know that adoption is a lengthy legal process that is usually used for children who family cannot take care of them anymore. Maybe your cousin will be able to talk to you more about how they became adopted.
                  We want to let you know that you have our full support with whatever you decide to do. We care about you and want what is best for you. You are welcome to give us a call and we can talk about your options. 1-800-786-2929
                  If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                  Best wishes,
                  NRS

• I want to live with my boyfriend mom how can I go live with her

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us through our forum! We appreciate you taking the time to post about your situation.

We’re not exactly legal experts, and you asked about being able to move out. It really all depends on your age. 18 is usually the age that youth are able to legally move out. Some police will allow 17 year olds to move out early. It really all depends on your states laws and the police protocols. If your parents are able to give you permission to move in with your boyfriend’s mom, then you should be okay. We offer conference calling between youth and their local police, if you want to call then we can talk to them together. We can also try to find legal aid resources that would be able to answer your legal questions.

If you’d like to explore those options, don’t hesitate to call into our safeline. We’re open 24/7 and we also have a chatting service on our website. We’re always here to help!

Best, NRS

• I want to live with my grandparents because my mom and her boyfriend keep breaking up and getting back together with him and I can't take it any more.

Comment

• ccsmod8
                  ccsmod8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It sounds like your mother and her boyfriend constantly breaking up and getting back together has emotionally exhausted you. Turning living at your family home into a very stressful situation for you. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

As you have probably read in other threads, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your mother would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you just leave without telling her and going to your grandparents house.

Your mother may give you permission to live with another family (i.e your grandparents), but without getting an official document from the court she would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that she can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with her once again. So that can be an option for you if you feel like your mother might respond well to you living someplace else. Maybe coming up with a solid plan about what you’re planning on doing, how everything is going to work, and any miscellaneous things could be helpful in them seeing how much work you have put into this plan. Perhaps talking to your grandparents about your wishes to come live with them is a good idea so that you can plan together how it would work and possibly ways to talk to your mother about the plan together.

It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. We certainly want to help you. If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you potentially brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you.

• I want to live with my grandparents and my mom doesn't treat me right and I've always been happy there

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation and we hope we can be of help.

It sounds like you’re wanting to live with your grandparents because your mom isn’t treating you the way she should. It’s completely understandable why you want to live with your grandparents. We aren’t exactly sure what you mean by not being treated right, we don’t want to assume, but if there is abuse going on you have every right to report it. If there is abuse going on and you would like to make an abuse report, we can do that with you. If you don’t think your mom is going to allow you to move in with your grandparents, there is an organization that helps youth find ways to get their custody transferred. It’s called Child Help (800) 422-4453. If you think there’s a possibility that your mom could let you move, we offer conference calling between youth and parents. So we can help you have that conversation with her.

We are here to help in any way we can. If you want to call in and explain more about your situation, we can possibly come up with more options and find more resources. Please don’t hesitate to call out to our 24/7 safe line, and we also have a chatting service via our website (that service is not open 24/7).

Be well, NRS

• Hi,

I've been having really big fights with both of my parents recently. It would help if I could actually go to school but I'm only 13. If I don't get out of here soon, I'll kill myself. WHAT DO I DO?

Comment

• ccsmod0
                  ccsmod0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a difficult time living at home with your parents. We do not want you to feel like you have to kill yourself. Although we are not experts on the issue of suicide and if this is something that you would like to focus on then we can certainly provide you the number for the National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-TALK they may be able to help you more because this is their area of expertise. They can help direct you towards support and or services for your needs. In the meantime, we hope that you can give us a call directly to get some emotional support. 1-800-786-2929
                  Best of Luck,
                  NRS

• I'm 17 years old and i want to run away to live with my grandma can I?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                  ccsmod1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. You ask a great question. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway, which means your grandma could get into trouble. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. You can reach out to us if you have any more questions. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can.

• My mom and dad are separated. I live with my mom and I have ever since I was born, I used to go to my dad's house everyother week, but my mom moved me and my sister 500 miles away, when I was 15, so now I can't.
                I'm 17 now and my mom has become increasingly more mentally, physically, and verbally abusive.
                I've been punched, kicked, slapped, screamed at, called worthless, awful, a child of satan, and so, so much more.
                My dad and grandparents live in near each other, both 500 miles away from me, and I've been able to secretly talk with my grandparents and they have told me that I have a place to go, should the need ever arise. We have talked about where I would live, go to school at, and all the other necessary things.
                I'm not sure what I should do to prepare for telling my mom that I want to move. I know that when I tell her, there is a high probability that she will lash out and I'll be in danger.
                What is the procedure that I should follow?
                I have been trying to live through this for the past 3 years, but I can't keep putting it off. At this point I just need to get out of the house. If that means living with my grandparents or dad, which would be best, or, as juvenile as it seems, death then so be it. But I can't handle this life anymore.
                I am a 4.53 GPA student who has never gotten in trouble at school, I'm in the 11th grade while I do dual enrollment at a local university. I say that to let you know that there is no foundation for how she treats me. I've never been anything but compliant.
                Please help me, I really need it

Comment

• ccsmod0
                  ccsmod0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. After reading your post we found this reply that we thought would apply for you too. If you still have questions please feel free to give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929.
                  Originally posted by ccsmod10 View Post
                  RE: i want to live with my grandparents

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It was very brave of you to share your story and seek for the help that you may need. It sounds like you are being treated unfairly by your step dad. No one deserves that type of treatment. You are strong for having gone through so much already. We are here to listen and help in the best way that we can. There are a few things that you could consider. Reporting the mistreatment that receive from your step-parent can be something to think about. If that is something that interests you, we can help navigate that option if you call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. Another aspect to consider is As far as you moving to your grandparents’ house, we are not legal experts, but generally if you are considered a minor in your area, then typically you would need permission from your parent to leave home. Without the permission gives your parents the opportunity to file a runaway report that would require the police to return you back home.

You mentioned that you have the support of your grandparents, which is great. Have you talked to them about what you are experiencing? Are there any other friends, family, teachers, or school counselors that you confide in? It may not be able to get you the outcome you are exactly hoping for, but it could provide some support through this difficult situation.

It sounds like you have thought about how things will be if you do not get out of the house. It is sometimes very easy to feel like you are in a hopeless situation and it can be very overwhelming. If you want to talk about those feelings you can always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or the National Suicide Hotline at 1800-273-TALK.

Stay Strong,
                  NRS
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X