No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 16. My mother passed away in 2011 and after that my father has never been the same. I lived with my aunt and uncle for a little while but then moved back in with my father. I've been living with my father for I think around three years now after I left my uncles. And I just can't live here with him his fiancé and her 2 kids. I'm going insane doing it. I need to get out. I want to move in with my grandma I'm just wondering the legal issues I would have to go through to make this happen. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like life has gotten pretty tough after your mother passed away. You definitely deserve to be loved and supported in your home. While were not legal experts, we might have resources for legal advocates in your area that can talk you through changing of custody, if you'd like to call in our safe line we can go through the options and resources. Talking to your grandmother about moving in with her and maybe asking her to help you ask your dad if you could stay with her could be a good non-legal option. Again, if you'd like to call in or try out messenger; we are more than happy to talk over your options and give you resources in your area. Our number is 1800-RUNAWAY

I am 15year old.. from Last 6 years i was living with my grandma.. But know from1 year i m.. With my parents.. I really dont wanna here... Theyare just opposite frombmy nature... And they dont understands my feeling...they also dont want that i live with my.. Grandma.... Know i really cant handle this problem.... They are so unfair

Comment

• ccsmod14
      ccsmod14 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. Your safety and well-being is important, you do not have to face this alone, and there are different forms of help out there for you.

It can be beneficial to think about who your support system is in a time like this, whether it be friends or other family members. It might be helpful to have someone that you really trust to know what is going on with your and your feelings, they can always provide you with direct support in person if you needed it, (i.e close friends, family members, school counselor, etc).

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat to offer local resources as well.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

http://www.1800runaway.org/

Take care,

NRS

My mam stepdad and sister are moving to another country and my dad died nearly 3 years ago so if I don't want to move with them could I live with my grandmother as my two grandfathers are dead and other grandmother can't take care of herself let alone me

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your family is planning on moving to another country but you would prefer to stay with your grandmother instead. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents.
      Another alternative could be using our conference calling service. This is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your mother not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
      Again thank you for reaching out to us and we hope this information helps. If you feel comfortable yo can give us a call anytime 1-800- 786-2929
      Best,
      NRS

i can't stand how my parents treat me. i want to move to my grandparents house in tennessee. how do i do that???

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. We're so sorry that you don't think you're being treated right at your parents. We understand how that must be frustrating and make you feel misunderstood. We are glad you feel supported enough by your grandparents to want to move in with them.

Moving to another relative's house can be kind of tricky. It may be a good idea to first off talk to your parents about how you're feeling. Talking to your grandparents about wanting to move in with them could be a great step, too, just so they're aware of your situation and can give you permission before you get to their place. If you're set on the idea of living with your grandparents one thing you can do is talk to your grandparents about filing for custody of you. They would have to go to court and it can be a lengthy process, but in the end if i t worked out they would be your official guardians.

If you left without permission your parents could file a runaway report for you with your local police department. Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. This means that you would be put into a national database and the police would be looking for you, but they would not arrest you if they found you. Usually what they will do is just bring you back to your parents' house.

If you want to talk more about what you are going through please feel free to reach out to us again. We are 24/7, so you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.

We wish you the best of luck with everything!

I moved from my mom's to my dad's a little over 3 years ago. I have been having on and off trouble since I moved. Most of it comes from the lack of help around the house. Five people live in this house and none of them help do anything but only 3 of us work. I have played for anything I needed for school since I moved here and since I recently turned sixteen I have been paying my phone bill, car payment, and insurance. Which is I guess understandable and I don't mind it. What I am getting at is my grandparents, that my step mother doesn't like, have asked me to live with them for a while. I really want to be able to consider it but I wanted to know my chances of an Alabama jugde actually allowing me to live with my grandparents.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like a difficult situation at home and you are thinking about leaving to live with your grandparents. It’s good you are thinking through your options.
      We’re not legal experts here but can give you some information. In most states the age of majority, where you legally become an adult and can make your own decisions, is 18. Until you reach that age, your parents or guardians are responsible for you and you would need their permission to leave. There might be several options to approach the discussion to get permission, for a long or shorter time, and several other factors to consider. If you call us here at the NRS on our 24/7 safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us during chat hours, we can listen to you and understand more about you situation. We can also discuss options, work out a plan, and recommend resources.
      We want you to be safe, and will look forward to hearing from you soon. Best of luck,
      NRS

my friends parents treat her like a disgrace her mom hits and even her sister trys to attack her they wont let her leave but shes thinking of suicide what do i tell her? pls reply soon cause i told her she should ask to live with her grandparents but they would just get mad at her and punish her

Comment

Reply:my friends parents treat her like a disgrace

Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you have a friend that is experiencing some possible abuse at home and you would like to try and help her.
      Good for you.
      It’s good that she has a friend like you she can reach out to.

Since you mentioned she has thoughts of suicide you might consider giving her the number to the National Suicide prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255
      She does not deserve to be hit or threatened, it is unfortunate that she is experiencing this behavior against her.
      It is not her fault that this is happening.

If she would like help reporting any abuse she can contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453

NRS is also here to listen and here to help. NRS can also assist her in reporting abuse as we are mandated reporters.
      Our contact information is 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live Chat).

You both are welcome to reach out and let us know how we might help.
      You are a good friend for seeking help for her.
      We hope that she is safe and well.

Take care,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-03-2017, 03:24 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 17 in the state of Georgia and I was wondering if I could legally move into my grandma's until I'm 18, without my parent's consent.

My parents are extremely restricting and suppressing and I'm unable to do anything and I do not mentally feel as though I can stay here. We have a good bit of family problems and I'm tired of being more aware of what's going on than the others around us, besides my parents because they are the cause of it all. I was wondering if I could live with my grandparents until I'm 18, but without my parent's consent (( because I know they would say no )) and it wouldn't cause any like legal problems?

Comment

Reply:I'm 17 in the state of Georgia

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
          In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian.
          A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police.
          What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Does that make sense?

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Hi I'm 14 in the state of Washington. I live with my mom, stepdaughter, 6 year old sister, and 4 year old brother. My dad left me at about the age of 10 give or take. About a moth ago I got in a fight with my mom and stepdad and they found out that I hate it at home. They were super mad. My mom said she would never let me go so I looked into emancipation but I know I won't survive another 2 years in that house. I suffer from depression so I never feel like doing anything and I just get yelled at for it. And it makes every time my mom and stepdad yell at each other so much worse and that is just a tip of my messed up familey. My grandma is the only person I am truly happy with. Is there any way I can live with her without my mom's consect?

Comment

• Reply:Hi I'm 14 in the state of Washington.

Hello,
              Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline .

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18.
              The easiest way to leave home is with your parent or guardians permission.

We understand that might be challenging, however maybe there’s a way for your grandmother to help communicate how you’re feeling.
              The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly is one you mentioned, that being emancipation.

Sometimes things become overwhelming and it’s difficult to see just how to cope.
              If you are feeling depressed you might consider counseling as an option to help cope with your situation.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also chat with NRS at www.1800Runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
              NRS

Comment

• Hey I'm 15, my parents are divorced and I only get to spend about 2 days with my mom then I'm off to my dads for 2 days. I'm sick of this constant transitioning and I want a constant home to stay at. Also both of my parents have been putting emotional stress on me. I'm worried about my mom finding a job and being mentally stable for me. My dad also seems to be pushing me away (he had never really been involved in my life until my parents divorce), but he doesn't seem to be doing this with my younger sister which I find odd. I have grandparents that live in another state and would most likely be willing to have me come stay with them. I'm comfortanvle with the area they live in and I already have friends there as well. I was just wondering what my first step could be to trying to move in with them (I would like to do it within a month so I can start a new school year)?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It is understandable to want to move away from your home since you feel that it is causing you stress. But, we cannot tell you how to move out or help you to do so. If you have any other questions or want to talk more about your situation you are welcome to call or chat with us.

NRS

• Hi, so recently I moved from a big city near Dallas Texas to a very small town probably 1/16th the size. It probably takes 30 minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store and about 35 minutes to get to school. Here, there are about 90 people per grade when im used to around 300 per grade. There's only a few class choices for school, which none are ones I would feel the need to do to get to where I want to be in life. My grandparents live about an hour and 1/2 away from here, next door to Dallas Texas. The schools there are pretty big and they have everything I want. I haven't brought it up with my parents yet, but I would really feel better living with them. I have a few too many siblings who don't help with the situation I'm in, and a lot of people at my school bring me to a negative attitude. Is there any way I would be able to live with my grandparents for a year or so and go to the school there? Would we have to sign papers or tell anyone? Thanks

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Most of the time if you want to live with another family member legally, your parents have to file paperwork with court. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

• My dad is a mental and sometimes physical abuser and my mom is severely ill. The past few years we have been homeless and now I am living back in the same small state with my grandparents and they both have told me to just get away from my dad and come live with them. But I don't know what will happen if I try to go live with them. My dad is mental unstable and physically handicap. As well, I just want to feel happy and be aloud to be a kid and not have to keep inableing him. I am 16, have never been in trouble with the police, have a 3.7 gpa average and just want a better life. I want to know I will have food and clothes to wear and a bed to sleep in. But mostly no one is going to be constantly putting me down and making me be his slave. He does nothing for himself and I have to do everything for him or else he acts irratically and says horrible hurtful things. I don't want to not visit my parents just not be around that situation the entire time. I've spoken with my grandparents and they both agree this is probably what's best in light of the situation.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

Sounds like your dad has harmed you and your mom is severely ill so you want to live with your grandparents. That is so understandable, you do not deserve to be abused in anyway and you should feel safe at home. You seem like a great person, and we truly want to help.

You do have the right to report any abuse at home with child protective services. If they find that the abuse and neglect is dangerous they would remove you from your parents’ care. If you are removed, they typically look for relative like your grandparents where you can stay. To learn more about reporting you can contact the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453.

You can leave home at any time with your parents’ permission. They can technically retain custody of you while you live at your grandparents’ house. You mentioned that your grandparents agree that you should live with them. You might have them talk to your parents for you, if you are having trouble getting permission from them.

If you would like to talk more about your situation so we can help brainstorm additional options and provide support, please call or chat us. We are here by phone 24/7, and you should not have to go through this alone.

Best of luck,

NRS

• USA IN,

So last year at school, was rough. And id feel more safe and comfortable in online school. Where I can be home. Our school has had bomb threats and shooting threats. And mean people all around it seems. And I have to pay for 2 computers that accidently got ruined that belonged to the school. And considering they raise the price on you if you don't pay on time is harsh. I asked my mother if I could do online. And she said she doesn't know how to sign me up. And I let her know that I found a school that's free. And has many good qualities. But she still says no. I'll be 16 Dec 27 but school starts July 31, and I know you can leave without permission(I'm 15 turning 16) and if they feel you're in danger they can take you back. But I plan to live with my grandmother or aunt. My grandma lives in the same state but my aunt lives in Alabama. Mom knows this will benefit me and my grandma and Aunt have agreed to take me in and care for me. When I was 3 I had to live with my aunt all the way in a different stay than my mom. And my grandmother was there too. So I feel theyve done this before and can handle it. So is it possible I could leave at 15 even tho I'll be 16 this year, before I turn 16 that is..

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you are understandably feeling pretty unsafe at your school, and your mom will not let you do online schooling so you are looking to live with your grandmother or aunt. Here at NRS, we want to help.

You mentioned that your mom knows that moving to either your aunt or grandmother’s will benefit you. The easiest way you can leave is with your mom’s permission. She does not have to give up custody of you to do so. If you are having a hard time talking to her, you might include your aunt or grandmother on the conversation with her to help advocate for you moving for your education.

You’re welcome to reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to talk through these issues in more detail. We’re also available via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you the very best of luck and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Stay safe!

-NRS
                  Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-29-2017, 09:41 PM.
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X