Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me out?

Hello there!

Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is not always easy to ask for help and it is very courageous of you to do so. You sound like you have been holding strong for a while now during your tough situation. You mentioned not liking the school you are at and wanting to go to your grandparent's house. We are not legal experts here, but generally if you leave without the permission parents can get police involved in an an effort to locate and return you home. It is not illegal to leave home, but it does mean that police can get involved in this way. It is great that you have your grandparents as a support. It could be a possibility that your grandparent's and parents can't talk and come to an agreement to go about this verbally. Other legal ways of going about this would also require parental consent (emancipation, guardianship). It sounds like you are going through a lot right now with having to go to your school.
    You mentioned self-harming and being on anti-depressants. We hope that talking with someone with professional mental health background counselor help like a counselor, therapist, etc. This may not solve all problems, but could possibly be a great way to get coping skills to be able to survive and get through this. You can always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1800-273-TALK.

Please call us to talk more about options or to just get some more support.
    Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

I am a grandparent to a 14 year old girl. She lives with her mom and step dad. She states she wants to get out of her situation because she can't take it no more. This has been going on for a long time.Mom is very paranoid. Her mom and real dad have 50/50 custody. Her real dad my son has not been able to see her. My son does not have the money to spend on lawyers and neither do I. She feels she can confide in me. She states she can not remember the last time she could talk to her mom as a girl should be able to. She is afraid to go to the school counselor because she knows they will only contact mom which will make things worse for her. She states her mom always makes her feel like she is talking back when she tries to have a conversation with her. She at 14 is not able to stay home alone. Needs to go everywhere with her even if its just the grocery store. Any suggestions would help.

Comment

Reply: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Aside from the legal issue with visitation or custody rights you might consider just continuing to be supportive of her feelings and looking into some form of legal aid.

Since she is afraid to open up to the school counselor perhaps she might consider calling NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with
        NRS at www.1800Runaway.org
        She is lucky to have you in her corner it’s a great thing you are doing for her.

We hope that she is able to reach out to us. NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I don't know

I want to leave my parents and move with my grandparents because of my parents my life is alright but lately I've been feeling threatened by my father and mother since my father always gets mad at me it's face to face encounters all the time and I just don't want to deal with them hating me and calling me ungrateful for nothing like recently I ripped a tag of my pants I was going to return and my dad said what you dumb fata** couldn't f****** restrain yourself so you ripped this s*** and I said sorry and he just got angrier and I showed my mom and she had a disappointing face showing disapproval and I felt bad and my dad said that's funny right I replied with no I'm not laughing and he immediately got up and speed walked to me as if we were going to fight but i don't want to fight him there are so many stories I can tell I just want help so I'm contemplating calling my grandparents and telling my mom if I can leave what do you guys think

Comment

re: I don't know

Hi there,

It seems like you are feeling that your parents are being more aggressive towards you lately. We imagine it must be hurtful to hear those things coming from your dad. You mentioned that you wanted to go to live with your grandparents. We are non directive here at NRS so we won't be able to tell you whether your idea is a good one or not. You would need to determine whether the consequences of you leaving is worth it. If you leave, there is a chance you could be sent back and things could end up being worse at home. We trust that you will make the decision that you feel is best. If there is anything that you feel we can help with, let us know.

Take care,
            NRS

Comment

Plz help me I'm a 12 year old girl who is so unhappy with my life I want to live with my grandparents but my mom won't let me plz help me to convince her to let me go it's either I runaway or I commit suicide and it's also I hate my school it isn't fair and all the teachers embarrassed me every single day!My grandparents don't yell at me like my dad does and they r sweet I'm so unhappy plz plz help me or I will choose between running away or death!!!
              HELP!!!!!

Comment

RE: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation, and we are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time at home with your dad and at school. It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. It can also be helpful to reach out to a counselor at school, or an adult that you trust.

Sounds like you feel living with your grandparents would be a better situation for you. If you run away without permission from a parent, your dad could call the police and have you returned home. Your grandparents could get into trouble for keeping you. Your grandparents might consider talking to a lawyer about getting custody of you from your dad. We could help you find legal aid resources if you would like. We are here to help however we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

I need help

Is there a way my grandparents could like let me live with them legally? My dad is never home and cheating on my mom and my mom is always verbally abusive and I've gotten anxiety from it all. I can't live with them a second longer

Comment

RE: I need help

Hello,
                    Thanks for posting on the National Runaway Safeline forum today.
                    We’re so sorry to hear about how things are going at home. It sounds like a really tough situation when your father isn’t being faithful and mom seems to be treating you badly. It’s understandable that you’d have anxiety from all this happening.
                    We’re not legal experts here, but we’d be able to refer you to a legal aid resource to see if there are any legal options for you at this time. We’d just need you to reach out to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via our Live Chat right here on this site. We’re unable to share phone numbers for private businesses due to the public nature of our forum.
                    We wish you the best of luck in this time. If you’d like to vent about your situation to someone who will listen we’re here for you.
                    All the best,
                    NRS

Comment

Can I live with my Aunt?

Hi so my parents are always arguing with me and each other about simple things. They always get me in trouble because of my little sister. I get everything blamed on. My mom is never at home because she works and after she goes to her moms house. She leaves my house at 6:30 am everyday and goes to my grandmas house in which she comes back home at 8:45 at night everyday! When she's at home she just argues with me and my dad. My dad and I are both tired of my mom. My dad has left my mom twice already but they always get back together because my mom promises my dad they she'll change but she never does. My family never had that Mom figure at my house. I want to move in with my dads sister which is my Aunt. Over at my aunts I feel safe and stable, my aunt is like a mom to me. Is this possible in CA and I'm also 15 years old?

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you’ve been going through a really tough time at home. We’re here to support you and help you in any way we can.

That sounds really hard to not have that mom figure in your house and to have a lot of arguing going on around you. That seems really difficult, but it sounds like you have a positive support in your Aunt. The easiest way to leave home when you are under the age of 18 is with your parents’ permission. If they give permission, you can live at your Aunt’s house. It sounds like your mom might not give you permission, but your dad sounds pretty understanding and supportive. You might try asking him for permission since he is aware of your mom's problems and how she treats you. Without permission, running away from home is not a crime, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and the person you’re staying with could get in legal trouble. There are also many resources that could help you get more information about leaving home, working through struggles with your family, or help you through any other challenges you’re facing. If you want details about these resources, or if you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. You’ve been going through a lot of tough things, but you’ve shown strength by reaching out for help. If there’s anything we can help you with in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

Comment

please help

Ok well it's been really hard and both of my parents have found new happiness yes I have tried talking to both of them about it but both say either go stay with your mom or move back with your dad because they say that they are happy and us kids can't take that away from thim and I can't take it.. ok so my dad's girlfriend is now having problems and now wants me to go back with my mom but the thing is that is not something I want to do. I want to move in with my aunt but I'm only 15 and I don't know if I can do that I have convinced myself that is probably the best thing I can do at this point and so has my aunt but the thing is I don't know if I can convince them I am just looking for help. I hope I can get it

Comment

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way we can.
                            In most states, because you are 15, you are still considered a minor, which means that you would need your parents’ consent in order to leave home. Every state is different with regards to these laws.
                            Without this permission you may also be putting your aunt at legal risk for harboring a runaway. A good option maybe if your aunt and you could speak to your mum and/or dad and see if they are ok with you staying with your aunt. Something to think about is if your parents would be open to you spending some time with your aunt and some time with them. Would school be an issue if you stayed with your aunt?

If you ever find you want to talk with us further about how your feeling, you can always give us a call.
                            Thank you again for reaching out to us. We are always available by phone or via chat if you want to explore any of the above options further.
                            Take care,
                            NRS

Comment

I want to live with my grandparents

I am 17 and I want to live with paternal grandparents . My parents never have been together . I currently live with my mom and step dad and 2 younger brother's . All we do is argue nonstop and you can always feel tension in the house. We got in an argument and she kicked me out and then called me in as a runaway so I am now on probation till march 2017 . We have had many incidents in the last year . My mother and I are taking family therapy but doesn't really seem to be working . I am also taking individual therapy . My dad and paternal grandparents live in the same town as me . I was just wondering if I am able to move out without court being involved??

Comment

re:

Hi,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X