Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

Can I still live with my grandparents if I was born in Mexico

Comment

• ccsmod8
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

RE: Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello there –

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen to what has been going on. From reading your post here on our public forum, it sounds like you are a little worried about staying with your grandparents. Now we aren’t legal experts here so we can’t tell you for sure what will happen. Immigration status isn’t something that we normally deal with or have much knowledge on unfortunately. If you were able to stay with your grandparents would have to depend on who your legal guardian is and if they were okay with you staying with them. If you are under the age of majority and you have ran away from your parents, then they have the right to file a runaway report. Since it’s not a crime to runaway the only thing that would happen is that they bring you back home to your parents. But if they are okay with your living with your grandparents and know where you are, then with their permission you are able to live there. Just know that your parent or legal guardian can take it away whenever they want to have you return home.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every day.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Unregistered

why do my family hate me

they dont care if i die today they think its all fine because i smile and never EVER ask how im doing never once its sad... F*** LIFE

Comment

• ccsmod2
          Super Moderator
          • May 2007

re: why do my family hate me

Hey there,

It sounds like you're having a tough time right now and you feel like your family hates you. It must be frustrating to feel like that. We would be happy to talk with you more about your situation and do our best to help. If you are feeling like harming yourself, you can can always chat with the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline for assistance as well. Their number is 1-800-273-8255.

Hope to hear from you soon,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

I understand where you are coming from. I feel like this alot -I hope this helps so you don't feel like your the only one.

Comment

• ccsmod1
              Super Moderator
              • May 2007

RE: Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing! It is always good to hear that you are not alone. Thanks for your support for other youth in crisis. If you want help with your situation, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

• 15 year old PLEASE HELP

I cant soldier on anymore

I have been dealing with my moms insecurities and worries about me for 4 years. I cant take how just because she was a drug addict and still an achoholic, she believes I have the "isms". It didnt help that I brougt back three Coors light from a party in Oklahoma with my uncles. She recently found them and has forced even stricter rules on me, and because of my depression from living with my mom in the first place, she believes I am trying to escape reality. Thats not the case, just since I first tried a sip, I will often thirst for a can. It is really complicated but I will explain my best in the next few posts on how I am living, and what happned tonight. I really want to live with my dad again. I moved out four years ago because of my stepmoms alcohol abuse nd I asked to try living with my mom because I hadnt seen her since I was five. (This was when I was 10, and im crrently 15 in march). I really miss my dad and family I grew up with and my stepmom is doing alot better, she even quit smoking! Now im here with deptessing problems with my mom , and I broke.down tonight and valled my dad back agter he dropped me off. My mom set me off and I sobbed in mydads arms . I cant take it anymore
                Im finished with these mentally depressing vhallenges. Please help meI dont know what to do I want to move in with my dad.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2007

Re: I cant soldier on anymore

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the help and information that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot at being at home with your mother or it’s not what you would like it to be. You are so strong for having gone through so much already with being with your step-mother and with your mother. It sounds like you have a great support system and relationship with your father. If going to stay with your father or another family member is an option, maybe having both parents come to a compromise to do so. Somethings to think about is the possibility that you will be unhappy or things will not be as you would expect them to be when you go to live with your father/or other family member, in this event what will be your plan b?

If the problems at your current home make you feel unsafe, please by all means do what you feel is necessary to reclaim your safety. If this means notifying the authorities, reaching out to a trusted friend, family member, and teacher for support can all be great options. If you are considering leaving home, it is not illegal to so. We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to run away or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home.

If you feel like you would like to talk more we are always here to support you at 1800-RUNAWAY.
                  Best Wishes,
                  NRS

Comment

• Unregistered

I want to live with my grandparents.

I am 11 yrs old about to be 12 and my parents got split apart when I was a baby and I lived with my mom and she treated me badly and she still does and I just can't take this anymore so I want to figure out when I can go to court and get filed to live with my grandparents and how to do it!!

Comment

• ccsmod8
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2007

RE: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello there –

Thank you for getting into touch with us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad that you were able to reach out to us on our public forum. It’s very brave of you to do so. After reading through your post, it sounds like you have been having a really hard time living with your mother at home and you really wish that you could just go live with your grandparents. No one deserves to be treated badly at home. Now we aren’t legal experts here so it’s hard for us to answer your question with a direct answer. There are parts of the court system that we don’t understand ourselves. If your mother has custody over you, it is to our understanding that in order for you to go live with someone else she would have to go to family court and relinquish guardianship over you and you grandparents would have to petition to take you in.

Now have you ever talked to your mother and/or father about all these feelings and emotions that you have been feeling lately, especially about running away to live with your grandparents? We can surely try to help you with that communication with you and your mother. We offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where your mother, yourself, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. That might be something we can all talk about together because she might not even be aware of what is going on or how it is effecting you. How do you feel about that?

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every day.

Comment

• Unregistered

i am 15 and i want to move in with my grandfather

My parents treat me unfair. I am15 and i just want to live with my grandfather. Can you help me on want to do

Comment

• ccsmod1
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2007

RE: i am 15 and i want to move in with my grandfather

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. We are sorry to hear that you feel you are treated unfairly by your parents. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. Since you are under the age of 18, if you leave home without permission from your parents, you could be considered a runaway. This means that your parent could call the police, who might force you to return home. Running away is not a crime, however anyone who allows you to stay with them could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway. Your parents could press charges against your grandfather for letting you stay with him without their permission. If you have any questions or you need help talking through all your options and making a plan to deal with your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and we wish you the best of luck.

Comment

• BaleighNicole

i want to move in with my mawmaw

lately ive been feeling really down and depressed because i cant seem to tell my mom that i want to live with my mawmaw(my grandma). how do i tell her without hurting her feelings.

Comment

• ccsmod1
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2007

RE:i want to move in with my mawmaw

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. We are so sorry to hear that you have been feeling depressed. That sounds very difficult and painful. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. It sounds like you are worried about telling your mom that you want to live with your mawmaw. It sounds like that might be a difficult conversation and you are concerned about your mother's feelings. That sounds tough. Some people find it easier to have hard conversations when they have prepared by writing down what they want to say. You know your mom the best, so you can wait for a time she can give her attention to the conversation without feeling distracted. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to us to talk through the situation and come up with options. We can talk about what makes you want to move out and help you come up with a plan to deal with your situation and stay safe. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

• Unregistered

I don't want to live with my parents anymore

I live in West Virginia with my mom and stepdad but I used to live in Kentucky with both of them but also my grandparents. My parents treat me like I'm not their child I get grounded for not putting a toilet role back In the slot when it's empty, I just love being around my grandparents more then my parents because my grandparents actually listen to what I have to say and they understand it better. When I lived in KY with my grandparents I had all A's and B's but I still have them but I'm really struggling in some of the topics especially math but I try so hard but my parents don't help me but they expect me to make A's and B's and if I don't they ground me. I just don't want to live with my parents anymore is their anyway I can live with my grandparents instead?? I know I will be much much happier!!!!!
                                Is their any advice?????

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X