X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation, and we are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time at home with your dad and at school. It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. It can also be helpful to reach out to a counselor at school, or an adult that you trust.

Sounds like you feel living with your grandparents would be a better situation for you. If you run away without permission from a parent, your dad could call the police and have you returned home. Your grandparents could get into trouble for keeping you. Your grandparents might consider talking to a lawyer about getting custody of you from your dad. We could help you find legal aid resources if you would like. We are here to help however we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

Plz help me I'm a 12 year old girl who is so unhappy with my life I want to live with my grandparents but my mom won't let me plz help me to convince her to let me go it's either I runaway or I commit suicide and it's also I hate my school it isn't fair and all the teachers embarrassed me every single day!My grandparents don't yell at me like my dad does and they r sweet I'm so unhappy plz plz help me or I will choose between running away or death!!!
    HELP!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: I don't know

Hi there,

It seems like you are feeling that your parents are being more aggressive towards you lately. We imagine it must be hurtful to hear those things coming from your dad. You mentioned that you wanted to go to live with your grandparents. We are non directive here at NRS so we won't be able to tell you whether your idea is a good one or not. You would need to determine whether the consequences of you leaving is worth it. If you leave, there is a chance you could be sent back and things could end up being worse at home. We trust that you will make the decision that you feel is best. If there is anything that you feel we can help with, let us know.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't know

I want to leave my parents and move with my grandparents because of my parents my life is alright but lately I've been feeling threatened by my father and mother since my father always gets mad at me it's face to face encounters all the time and I just don't want to deal with them hating me and calling me ungrateful for nothing like recently I ripped a tag of my pants I was going to return and my dad said what you dumb fata** couldn't f****** restrain yourself so you ripped this s*** and I said sorry and he just got angrier and I showed my mom and she had a disappointing face showing disapproval and I felt bad and my dad said that's funny right I replied with no I'm not laughing and he immediately got up and speed walked to me as if we were going to fight but i don't want to fight him there are so many stories I can tell I just want help so I'm contemplating calling my grandparents and telling my mom if I can leave what do you guys think

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I want to live with my grandparents.

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Aside from the legal issue with visitation or custody rights you might consider just continuing to be supportive of her feelings and looking into some form of legal aid.

Since she is afraid to open up to the school counselor perhaps she might consider calling NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with
    NRS at www.1800Runaway.org
    She is lucky to have you in her corner it’s a great thing you are doing for her.

We hope that she is able to reach out to us. NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I am a grandparent to a 14 year old girl. She lives with her mom and step dad. She states she wants to get out of her situation because she can't take it no more. This has been going on for a long time.Mom is very paranoid. Her mom and real dad have 50/50 custody. Her real dad my son has not been able to see her. My son does not have the money to spend on lawyers and neither do I. She feels she can confide in me. She states she can not remember the last time she could talk to her mom as a girl should be able to. She is afraid to go to the school counselor because she knows they will only contact mom which will make things worse for her. She states her mom always makes her feel like she is talking back when she tries to have a conversation with her. She at 14 is not able to stay home alone. Needs to go everywhere with her even if its just the grocery store. Any suggestions would help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    replied
    Re: Help me out?

Hello there!

Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is not always easy to ask for help and it is very courageous of you to do so. You sound like you have been holding strong for a while now during your tough situation. You mentioned not liking the school you are at and wanting to go to your grandparent's house. We are not legal experts here, but generally if you leave without the permission parents can get police involved in an an effort to locate and return you home. It is not illegal to leave home, but it does mean that police can get involved in this way. It is great that you have your grandparents as a support. It could be a possibility that your grandparent's and parents can't talk and come to an agreement to go about this verbally. Other legal ways of going about this would also require parental consent (emancipation, guardianship). It sounds like you are going through a lot right now with having to go to your school.
    You mentioned self-harming and being on anti-depressants. We hope that talking with someone with professional mental health background counselor help like a counselor, therapist, etc. This may not solve all problems, but could possibly be a great way to get coping skills to be able to survive and get through this. You can always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1800-273-TALK.

Please call us to talk more about options or to just get some more support.
    Best Wishes,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    help me out?

I'm 16 and i hate the current house and school I'm in. my parents moved me from my home school and I've tried to like this school for about 3 years and I can't do it anymore. I've been put on anti depressants and have self harmed, it just makes me depressed to walk through those doors everyday. but my step dad and mom will not even listen to me about moving back to my old school and live with my grandparents it's only bout 20 mins away. I've talked to my grandparents and they said it would be fine, and they can afford it. I need out of this place 😔😔

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: I want to live with my grandparents

Hello,

It sounds like your recent move has been stressful for you. Based on what you shared, you want to move back to Utah to live with your grandparents. We are not legal experts here but we can speak generally about this. In general, being that you are 13 in order to legally live with someone else you would most likely need permission from your mom. She would probably have to go to court with your grandparents to give up her custody of you and that could take a while. We don't know if there are any short term solutions that will allow you to leave home without permission. In most cases, if you do leave home your mom can file a runaway report for you and the police could take you back. Legally what they would do depends on what the police decide to do at the time, but most likely because of your age they would respond to your mom because she is your legal guardian as of now. For more information, you could have your grandparents call the a legal aid resource and ask what they could do legally to have custody of you.

Best of luck to you,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I want to live with my grandaparents. My mom recently got married to somebody in Texas. I am 13 and originally from Utah and i just wanna go home because i am always sad. My mother doesn't seem to care and i am trying to find out what i can do legally about this.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    Re: Re: I want to live with my grandparents.

Congrats on your upcoming birthday! Thank you very much for writing to us; we’re here to listen and here to help! Sorry to hear that your parents are not the best role models for you and do not provide you with the stability and safety you need. It is also great that your grandparents would like to take you in. Have you considered asking your parents if you can stay with them temporarily? If not, your grandparents could look into obtaining custody of you/becoming your guardian through the courts if you parents do not agree. We are not legal experts, but we can refer you to someone who could help you more. From the way you used mum, it appears that you may be outside of the US. If this is the case, we can connect you with someone in your own country. To find legal aid near you in the US click here:

http://www.nolo.com/lawyers

In the UK, click here:

https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/overview

https://www.hg.org/firms-united-kingdom.html

Please reach out to us so through chat or phone so that we can provide you with more individualized assistance.

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Im 16, turning 17 in a week and I don't know how much longer I can stand living with my parents. My mum and dad are always high and prioritise their smokes, alcohol and pot over everything els. They also have this love hate relationship where my dad moves out nearly every other week. They are also really abusive towards each other and I always find myself scared that they are going to turn on me. I also suffer with an EDNO and my mother is always triggering me and getting in my head. She can be quite mentally abusive but can twist every situation to make sure she sounds like a 'perfect mother'. We are always arguing and my grandparents know what my parents are like and said that I can move in with them.Ive wanted to do it for some time now but am not sure if its allowed? Can my parents stop me?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: redo from I hate living with my mom

Hello again,

It seems like you feel that you didn't get the answer you were looking for from the last time you contacted us. Based on what you shared now, we don't know if there are any laws in your state where you get to choose who to live with. We aren't legal experts so only a juvenile court would know something like that. If you do decide to leave home you may want to consider the consequences. Leaving may not make your problems go away, it could make things worse. It's understandable to feel frustrated at this time, and we are here to help. We can't tell you what to do though. We can help you talk through your options. Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Redo from I Hate living with mum

I have recently messaged you guys and come to find it got answerd but my answer was not correct maybe I would think I don't know but anyways I have talked to my grandparents about it .its just that we think if we mess it up I will never be able to see them again and if we do it now the judge or whoever will be on her side cause I'm eleven and not older so is there any laws that state I'm allowed to choose and like I said originally my dad is a little bit crazy he never talks to me listens to me or anything I don't see my grandparents often and they are going through a tough time now so it's even harder for all of us and they don't have any money for a family itourney and we could go to court but like I said he probley won't accept my favor I just don't know what to do anymore I have wanted to runaway and at nights I go in the living room and cry and cry because I hate it here I and I miss my grand parents it's to out of hand and I'm about ready to take it in my own hands down she does something crazy to me like the time she choked me anyways sorry for getting a bit personal I just thought I retry thank you for
    Your time and

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod14
    replied
    Re: I want to live with my aunt

Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you are interested in living with your aunt and want to know some possible options as far as making this happen. We’re glad you reached out, we’re here to help as much as we can.

We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if a minor (someone under 1 leaves without consent from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they typically would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. It sounds like you like your aunt and would like to live with her-it’s good to know you feel supported by her. One way to make this happen may be to have your aunt work with your current legal guardians to have guardianship transferred.

If you would like to talk further, we’re here 24/7 to help you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat.

Best,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X