I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey
    I really don't want to live with my parents anymore they get on my last nerves and my grandparents just treat me better they listen when i talk to them and they always hear my side of the story which my parents do not do i want to go with my grandma because she is into church so i think her house it a way better environment for me my parents household is so toxic but i don't think they will give me permission to live with my grandma. Any advice

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there! Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like the situation is rather uncomfortable with your parents. It’s good that you do have a set of adults that you feel comfortable talking with and being with, like your grandparents. We would love to be able to help you figure out what your options are, or just hear you out for a little bit. Reach out to us at 1 (800) Runaway or you can connect with a crisis counselor through our chat online at 1800runaway.org.

• I am a 14 yr male.. my mom passed away when I was 8.. I lived with my grandma after for 1 year.. them I decided to move with my dad because I missed him... 4 months ago, he started become an alcoholic..... he starts calling me names for no reason. I really need to move back to my grandma’s house again.. any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      It seems like you are wondering if you can go back to living with your grandma, this is likely a possible solution, especially if your grandma still maintains guardianship or custodial rights over you in some way. Otherwise she might need to go to court to try and show she is a better custodial parent to you than your dad due to his alcohol abuse. You might also consider reporting the emotional abuse to child/family services, although emotional abuse can be harder to prove. Since you have a biological family member who may be willing to take you in they might place you with her at least in the short term. You can go to www.childhelp.org for more information about abuse reporting.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

• My Dad has given me a pretty good life, but ever since my Dad has started dating things have been pretty tense. His girlfriend is only nice to my Dad and my sister, so they think I am making things up, and whenever I talk to him about moving in with my Grandma, he says this is my home and where I belong. I know, though, that it would be better for both me and my Dad if I moved in with her. I have thought of running away, but I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to survive on the streets, so this was my backup plan.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

It is unfair that your dad’s new girlfriend is not nice to you, one option to consider would be talking to her about how this is affecting you. Also it may help to provide her with examples of how she treats you differently, so she would know what things to change. You can also consider talking with a school counselor about what is going on at home, they would be able to help provide you with support.

We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen if you were to leave. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. It is a possibility that you can be brought back home. You could always talk to your grandparents and maybe they can talk to your dad about you living there.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here for you 24/7, we wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• Im almost 16. And dont want to live with my parents. I want to move out. They are emotionally abusive. And i cant take it anymore. Do i have to have there consent to move out

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      HI there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on at home. We are sorry to hear that your parents are emotionally abusive. That's wrong and it's certainly not your fault. If you want to make an abuse report on what's going on that is your right. Usually CPS will attempt to help the situation through other means before removing an abused youth from the home, but we cannot say for sure what exactly would happen if you reported. If you decide to report you can do that through us or through www.childhelp.org (1-800-422-4453).

To answer your question about consent very directly: if you leave home before 18 without your parent's permission they have the right to file a runaway report on you and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway. So it definitely is a tricky matter that could end up with some legal ramifications. Just so you know, there typically are three ways a youth can move out before turning 18. These are: 1) with their parent's permission, 2) after filing an abuse report and Child Protective Services determines you are unsafe at home, 3) going through the court system to be granted emancipation. The last option usually involves proving to a judge that you are able to take care of your physical and emotional needs and are capable of being independent.

We'd like to discuss this matter further with you and help you explore all your options. The best way we can do that is if you call our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also chat with us via the chat button found at the top of our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are here to listen, here to help. Hope to hear from you soon!

Stay safe,
      NRS

• PLEASE HELP ASAP. I live in Pennsylvania. I'm 15, turning 16 on 7/31/21. I have a boyfriend whos a "legal adult" and we agreed to be intimate till I'm 16 so that there is no illegal stuff going on. My STEPDAD is going ballistic and tried calling the cops on him. He said if we have any form of contact he will call the cops, and file a report/lawsuit. He doesn't like my boyfriend in any way shape or form and refuses to meet him even though my mom and grandmother have met him and enjoy him very much. What the hell do I do? I want to go live with my grandmother or something, just get away from him. Living with her would ruin a lot of things for me but I can't stand him for another minute. He's tried to control every aspect of my life and blames his failed marriage on me. Please. HELP.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your dad not liking your boyfriend. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. For example, your grandmother could help talk with your dad about allowing you to stay with her temporarily. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• i am 12 and i want to live with my grandparents because i am tired of the way they treat me my dad calling me a girl and my grandparents they just treat me better and i think i would do better over there
    ---
    I want to move back with my grandparents but I don't think they will approve and my mom and dad never her my side of the story.
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 05-24-2021, 07:12 PM. Reason: Edited due to double posting

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are going through something really hard at home with your dad calling you a girl and not being able to tell your side of the story. It was really brave for you to reach out to us.
      We would like to talk with you more about your situation and support you in what you are going through. You can chat us through this website or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24/7
      We truly hope to hear from you soon.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

• confused & tired...

to start off: i love my mom. unfortunately, she can just barely take care of me financially and physically since she's disabled, and our relationship has become strained because we resent each other. we just got into a fight and she's trying to find me a different place to live because she's "over my disrespectful sh**". i'm 17 years old (18 in February) and want to visit my grandparents over the summer so we can both have a break, but she won't let me. my father has visitation rights but he hasn't used them since he's a deadbeat parent (not to mention physically, verbally, and mentally abusive). my only option is foster care but i'd like to avoid that, if possible.
    i've tried for two years to find a way to get through to her but i just don't think she loves me anymore. i've tried talking to her for a long time, but running away and coming back seems to be the only way she'll listen to me, and then after that nothing ever changes. this honestly just makes me want to die. can you provide me with some options?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• Can I live with my grandparents they are so much nicer and my sister keeps getting me in trouble by making me mad and I think I have anger issues so whenever I'm mad I spoke to break things and I broke something today and my mom started yelling at me and then I asked her if I could live with my grandparents and she didn't say anything so I just really want to live with my grandparents

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what is going on. If you are under the age of 18, in most states, you are considered a minor and would need parental permission to live elsewhere. If you do not have parental permission the police could get involved and make you go back home if your legal guardian wanted. If you would like to talk in more detail you can best reach us via phone or our live chat as we can only respond to forums twice. Our phone number is 1800-RUNAWAY and you can find our live chat at www.1800runaway.org.
      Hope to hear from you soon.
      NRS

• I want to live with my grandmother instead of my mom I don't want to live with her because she not financially stable and she's living with other people....and she threaten to bust my lip and said she going to keep me stranded once I move and she want to come get me do I have to go? I can just go move with my grandmother

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X