No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm currently living with my mom and her bf my mom calls me names constantly she calls me biscuit instead of ********** now because of my brother shes kind of judgmental too..but her bf constantly gets mad at me over the littlest things and stares me down and I dont really feel safe around him hes really bipolar and is either ok or irritated me and him argue every day and I end up getting in trouble I tell him to stop and I still get in trouble he will make these mean jokes and says stuff about me on my period and he said someone about my boobs getting bigger my mom tells him like everything abt my personal buisness and I cant live with my dad because hes a alcoholic and hes addicted to cigarettes and other drugs i desperately want to leave and live with my grandparents but my mom wont let me I'm getting tired of it here everytime he comes home i go to my room because i cant deal with it anymore I'm only 13 please help

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and we want you to know you are not alone.

You do not deserve to be called names, just know that people who call others names usually have their own insecurities and are self-conscious. If you feel like you are being emotionally abused, you do have a right to file a report. There are a few ways you can make a report; one option would be to talk with a school counselor or teacher about what is going on. Another option to consider would be to call Child help at 1800-422-4453 and they would be able to take a report. You can also call or chat with us and we would be able to help with making a report.

We know you mentioned wanting to live with your grandparents but your mother will not allow you to do so. One option to consider would be talking to your mom about possibly staying with your grandparents for a week or weekend. She may allow you to stay short term and you would still be getting a break. During all of this self-care is important, it may be helpful to do things for yourself to keep your mind off of everything going on.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation, please reach out if you have more questions or would like to talk more. We are here 24/7 by phone or by chat to provide you support. Best of luck,
      NRS

• My mom isn’t abusive physically but she is mentally if my grandparents wanted me to go live with them and I’m only 13 if I say where I want to live in court will I be able to live with them if they hire a lawyer because I don’t want to deal with this anymore and I know I would have a better life with them. It all depends on if it will work because I don’t want my grand parents to go through that if they don’t have to.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-04-2020, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts and would not presume to predict what might happen in court. Speaking with your grandparents and then seeking legal representation sounds like a good place you might consider starting.
      You don’t deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault that this is happening.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
      NRS

• Living with my grandparents

I'm 15 and I live with my military grandparents. They hate everything I do and every step I take seems like they think I'm lying or not listening and I don't know how to fix that. Cause I had gotten a reputation for lying and they believe nothing I say so anything I do they think I'm being "purposely deceitful" I already got away from my mom and I have no place to turn so maybe should I just go toward the system?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. It takes a lot of courage to reaching out for support, whether it is from someone you know intimately or do not know at all. It sounds like your home environment is very difficult to navigate. We all make mistakes that can have a negative impact on an important relationship, but you deserve to given a chance to show growth and improve that relationship. We will try to respond to your concerns, but it can be difficult to give more personal and specific resources through a forum. If you want to dig deeper into the issues you are having, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via online chat (www.1800runaway.org) or thru our 24/7, confidential hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It can difficult to rebuild trust once it is lost, but that does not mean you do not deserve a chance to make amends. Talking to your grandparents and asking them how you may be able to establish a better, more genuine relationship could help start the mending. We know that may sound daunting and can be difficult to make sure that conversation keeps everyone on level ground. If you have someone you trust and would be willing to sit on your side while you have that conversation with your grandparents, it could help keep things mature and civil. If you do not have someone you’d trust, we do offer a conference call service. We will talk to you about what your goals are and then work to maintain a productive conversation with your grandparents.

You mentioned going towards the system. I am not entirely sure what you mean by this statement, but if you would like to reach out to us, we can discuss what exactly you are thinking. We are not legal experts, however, and if you have legal questions contacting a local legal office, may be able to offer insight. If you choose to utilize governmental systems, be sure you know what your goals are and you have someone willing to help you as they can be very complex systems.

We encourage all those that contact us to take some time and consider their options, depending on their situation. That sounds like a tall task, but there are resources and organization out there to help inform your decision, making sure it is the best one for you. Again, do not hesitate to reach out to us either by chat or by phone, if you would like resources local or national to help you. We are here to listen. Here to help.

Take care and stay safe,
      National Runaway Safeline

• I want to live in DC with my sister and grandparents because my dad only wants me for the money that I get because my mom die

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re very sorry for your loss and to hear about your dad. When thinking about living somewhere else it can be important to consider how your life might change if you move, how you are going to get to your sister and grandparents, and what you are going to bring with you. It is can also be important to ensure your sister and grandparents are on board with your plan. We'd be happy to talk through a plan with you if you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at our website. The whole process could also potentially go smoother if your dad is on board as well, so talking to him about where you want to live could be helpful too. To do this you could talk with a friend, family member, or trusted adult, like a friend’s parent or school counselor. We do also offer a conference call service in which we could mediate a call between you and your dad if you would prefer to talk to him that way. Thanks again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Feel free to give us a call or chat with us anytime. We are available 24/7 and are completely confidential.
      Best of luck!

• hi there i live in pa but my grandma lives in ohio my mother has been screaming at me for every thing i have done no matter what it is and i just cant take it any more she has taken me to a point where i feel worthless and my grandma has seen it is there any way someone could reach out to me asap be i cant take it any more in the last month i have tryed to end it all about 5 times i cant take it any more every time i turn around she yells at me the things she tells me hurt alot i am 17 ill be 18 oct 1st but i cant take any more of it she takes all her anger out on me i have been putting up with it since i was little and i just cant do it any more it is messing my mental and physical health just someone please help me

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS

• I wanna live with my grandma my mom died and now it’s me and my dad but I don’t like living with him

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are soo sorry for your loss. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I am only 13 but I want to move in with my grandparents. I hate the environment and I know they would not sign the papers for me to move out. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

• Hey I’m a teenager boy (13 year old) I can’t handle my mother anymore and I want to live with my grandfather, what can I do for I can live with my grandfather with no issues

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

We are not legal experts but if you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider asking your mom for permission to stay with your grandfather. Also you could speak to a school counselor about what is going on at home.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!

NRS

• I need some advice on what to do. I'm currently living with my parents, in June 3rd I turn 18 but I just can't wait anymore. They are always on my tail about school and they took away my teenage life. By teenage life I mean I couldn't ever hang out with friends and I can never invite a friend over to my house, I'm 17 and still don't have a phone, my dad trusts me with driving his car but not with a phone and it's just so frustrating. Lately I've been sneaking out to go to my girlfriends house because she calms me down and understands what I'm going through. I want to move in with my grandparents but I don't know how to address that I want to move in with my grandparents to my grandparents. My parents are completely blind about me moving out, but they know I been sneaking out but haven't confronted me about it. Can anyone help me and give me advice on my situation, please?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are in such a frustrating situation at home. It’s understandable that you want some freedoms and the ability to live a teenage life. You say you want to live with your grandparents. If you’re in contact with them, you could consider asking them to intervene on your behalf. Your parents might be more receptive to their requests. NRS also offers a conference call service where our liners serve as mediators in a conversation between you and your parents. This allows you to establish the ground rules, and we help keep the dialogue civil and respectful. If you are interested, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our lines are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

You say that you turn 18 in June. As you may know, the age of majority is generally 18. That being said, some police departments are less likely to pursue a 17 year old (nearly 1 as a runaway, especially if they are in a safe situation. You could reach out to your local police department’s nonemergency number and ask how they might handle this type of situation. We recommend this regularly; police are accustomed to these types of questions.

If you want to call us, or have a digital chat (available through our website, www.1800RUNAWAY.org), we can discuss your situation, options and strategies. We are here to listen and to help. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,

NRS

• hey im 16 and live and a small town ******* i really hate the way i live some times i wanna run but there is no where to go i wanna live with grandma

Last edited by ccsmod5; 02-21-2021, 12:49 AM. Reason: Confidentiality

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us and reaching out. It sounds like it’s been pretty tought at home lately. Depending on who you live with and who your parent or guardians are, you could try to have a conversation with them about leaving. We could assist if needed, you would need to call us and ask about conference calling services. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      You could try to have your grandma take full or partial custody of you, for that you might need some legal aid which we can help find.
      We hope this helps!
      Stay safe,
      NRS

• hello, i feel the need to live with my grandma
    for the past 4 years my life has gone down hill very much. It is a very toxic place with physical abuse from siblings, and mental and emotional abuse from both parents. i have been in and out of the CPS system also with juvenile detention. But no one gives me the chance to speak. my family manipulates everyone and makes it seem like im lying. so nobody believes a word i say and it hurts me. i have no one who loves me at home, no one cares for eachother at my house hold. im only 14 and im ready to leave here ASAP. the trauma and emotional damage i have been through is tremendous and heartbreaking. i have been to court many times, and recently talked to my attorney, but they tell me that only my parents can decide where i move to. but i keep saying i really cannot be here any much longer. My grandmother has been there for me since day 1 and loves me and cares for me. but please tell me is there ANY chance i can get out of here ASAP

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      First of all, thank you so much for reaching out today. We know it can take a lot of courage to do so especially in such a difficult and scary situation. We are so sorry to hear that you have gone through so much trauma the past few years. You do not deserve to be treated with physical, mental and emotional abuse. You deserve to live in a household where you feel loved and supported.
      You mention that you have been in and out of CPS for a few years. It sounds like you have been through a lot with your family and you feel like you need to leave. It is not illegal to runaway from home. However, if your parents do decide to file a runaway report to the police, the police may come looking for you. If they do find you, they will most likely have to bring you back home. You are the only one who knows the full extent of your situation, so if you feel like leaving is the best option, you know your situation best. We are glad to hear you have your grandma as a support system.
      Lastly, you are more than welcome to reach out to us anytime to talk about your situation more in depth or talk through some other resources through live chat at 1800runaway.org or over the phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available 24/7!
      Best of luck and stay strong,
      NRS

• i understand, but i have ran away before 2 months ago and the police found me and took me back home and didnt let me tell my story. im in and out of juvenile detention because of my situation. it has brought me close to drugs and being on the streets. which i have been doing since i was only 10. im ready to leave ASAP but i no one will listen to me and its hard.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Be safe, NRS

• i live in delaware ohio. My house/ family may not seem that bad to others but when you live in it, it is awful. I'm a 16 year old girl who is failing in school, depressed, falling for this boy but my parents don't like him so they say i can't date him, and i'm somewhat being abused. my dad yells at me and curses at me all the time and my mom hurts me. Yesterday she burned my back with my flat iron because she wanted my phone. Yesterday was my last day that i wanted to deal with all of this. when got to school i told my teacher what i am going through and she sent me to the police who works at my school. He called more police and we tried to press charges on my mom. My mom told the cops that she never knew she burnt me and all these lies. The police did not arrest her. At 5;00 today that child service will be talking to all of us but i don't have a good feeling about this. They took away my phone, car, door(bedroom) and literally my life. I'm 16 so i have a bit longer till i can move out. If this meeting doesn't go the way i want i will be stuck here. I know that things will just get worse and i'm scared of what i might do to myself. I want to live with my grandma but both of my parents do not have a good relationship with her and i know they will say no. I want to runaway but i know the police will find me. I'm so scared of my family sometimes. I love them but i hate them. I need help! can you help me?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there!

First of all, thank you for reaching out to NRS today. We know it can be a scary and difficult thing to do. It takes a lot of courage! We are so sorry to hear you are struggling so much at home. Being yelled at and hurt are not ways to make someone feel safe at home, and everyone deserves to live in a safe and supportive household. You are brave for sharing your story with your teacher and advocating for yourself.

You mention being scared of what you might do to yourself. Your safety is our first priority here at NRS. In the case that you ever feel unsafe to yourself, a great resource to reach out to (available 24/7) is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can reach them at 800-273-8255.

In terms of leaving home and living with your grandma, it is not illegal to runaway. As you mentioned, however, at age 16 you are still under the legal custody of your parents and they may decide to file a runaway report with the police. In this case, the police may go looking for you and if they do find you, they may decide to bring you back home. To learn more about the policy of the police in terms of runaway reports in your area, you can reach out to your local police station’s non-emergency number.

Lastly, if you want to talk about your situation more in depth or gather more resources, you can always reach out to us through live chat by clicking the chat option on our website, 1800runaway.org or calling out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929). We would be happy to discuss the situation with you and see if we can think of some other options. We are here for you and do not want you to feel scared in your own home.

Best of luck and stay strong,
      NRS

• i want to run away i am getting abused

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I need help my dad and my step mom have been treating me terrible threatening to send me to military school if I fail 1 class and I’m done with it I want to move to my grandparents but idk how I would get permission

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for reaching out to us, we understand it can be difficult to take that step.
      18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      If you were given permission to leave and arranged to stay with your grandparents, then your dad would still be your legal guardian but he would be giving consent to you staying with your grandparents for any given amount of time. If you need help having a conversation like that with your dad, try asking someone he might trust around you to help you communicate this to him. We also offer a service where we can help you talk to your parents about something through a three-way call.
      We hope this help!
      Stay strong,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X