No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all of my life my mom had been ridiculing me. making me insecure about my body and forces these high standards on me. I don't think I can do it anymore and was am really trying to move in with my grandma but I know she won't let me. I feel like I'm drawing ad I don't know how much longer I can go through this. and I'm only 13.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation at home. It is incredibly unfair of your mom to place such unrealistic and high standards on you and it is not okay for her to talk down to you or to ridicule you. Your body should not be a topic of criticism with your mom. She should be encouraging you to do things that make you fee healthy and to feel good about yourself rather than tear you down. You deserve to feel loved and supported. It is understandable you would want to live with your grandmother instead.

It sounds like you have gotten quite overwhelmed at home and we want you to know you are not in this alone. It is very important to have a support system during challenging times. We want to encourage you to reach out people that you trust to talk to about how you are feeling. This could include friends, family members, a counselor or another trusted adult. Sometimes having an adult on your side to advocate for your needs can make it easier to communicate with parents. If you do reach out to a trusted adult perhaps this person can be a mediator to help you talk to your mom. If you are not quite ready to reach out to anyone in person yet you can speak with a counselor at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org or by texting "connect" to 741741.

We truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time. If you would like to talk more in detail about what has been going on or brainstorm your options together, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay strong,
      NRS

• so i came and live with my grandparents because there was a school near here for me to go and now i wanna live with them but my mother don't want to because she says its her decision of which school im going to and i don't like the way she treats me differently from my siblings and when i was with my grandparents they knew everything that was going om in my life and my mother bearly knew things about me and she wouldn't call me or text me how was i doing and my grandparents would always be aware of everything like if i stayed after school or things like that and my mother wouldn't even know where was i and that's why i want my grandparents to get full custody of me

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It may be beneficial to speak with your grandparents directly about your desire to live with them. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod3; 07-05-2020, 07:36 AM.

• Me and my mom is in a really bad realationship I reallly wanna live with some one else I am 13 boy

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear things at home have been so tough, and we hope that we can help you today.

Sometimes things at home can get really hard for various reasons. It sounds like in your case, your relationship with your Mom is causing you stress or hurt, and now you are considering leaving home and living with someone else. It’s good that you know what you want. It is always important when thinking about running away to also think about where you will go, how you will get there, and what you will do to survive once there. In your case, because you are 13, you may also consider what you might do if your parent(s) reports you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but if your parent(s) reports you to the police, the police can become involved in trying to bring you back home. At your age, you technically cannot go live with someone else without parental consent, yet young people do all the time. It is up to you to decide what is best, and to consider what might happen if the police become involved.

If any of this information is confusing to you, or if you have further thoughts, we encourage you to reach out to us at any time of day at 1-800-RUNAWAY or via instant message at 1800runaway.org. This is not an easy situation, and there is not an easy solution, but we trust that you have the ability to make a decision that is right for you.

Please stay safe and stay strong.

Sincerely,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X