No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me my mom n dads house gives me ptsd from when they were on drugs and fought each other their house is like a 2 minute walk , I’ve been staying with my grandparents but they are trying to make me come home

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It seems like your parents have created a scary environment and it's understandable that you would want to remove yourself from the situation. It's so great that you have been able to stay with your grandparents and that they have been able to offer you some support.

You mentioned some things about drug usage and fighting and it raises some concern about your well-being. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust (like maybe your grandparents) as far as transferring custody. It can be really hard to live with someone who struggles with addiction. We want you to know that you are not alone. If you’d like to talk to other young people who are dealing with friends or family members who use drugs you may want to look into Narateen. You can find more information about this support group, or find a local meeting here: https://www.nar-anon.org/narateen.

You said that the environment at home has given you PTSD. It can be really hard to live with mental health issues and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-800-662-4357 or you can go to their site at samhsa.gov.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I really want to move in with my grandparents, they treat me way better then my mom and step mom, They talk about me in bad ways behind my back, they call me very rude names/words and sometimes makes my feel like I don’t belong there anymore. I’ve been putting up with it for at least 1 year. I’m not trying to say I hate my parents, it’s just they treat me like crap and it really sucks. I cry every night because I want to move but they would never understand. Please give me some advice.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your parents. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
      NRS

• So me and my parents havent gotten along for the past few months since my dad moved back and so ive been staying with my grandma well today my dad yells at me and says im coming over and i told him im not my gram is litterly on the same porperty as them could they make me go back to their house when i really dont want too.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It seems like things have been rough at home lately.
      We are not legal experts but do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without your legal guardian’s permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. If your grandma is on the same property the police may still make you be at home and not your grandparents.
      We hope this will answer your questions. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are her 24/7 to listen and to provide support.
      Best of luck
      NRS

• I wanna live with my grandparents.

I am a 13 year old boy. My mom punishes me for everything that I do. Also I can never talk to her. She always thinks I've done something wrong. I feel so comfortable with my grandparents. I can even talk to them too. Every time I ask to go live with them my mom says no.

What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• I can’t handle the pain my stepdad causes me, he rarely says I love you and spoils my sisters but not me.it really hurts and if I do chores wrong they slam me but not my sisters! I just wanna live with my grandparents! They treat me right!

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're sorry to hear that you're being treated unfairly. That sounds really difficult. You ask if you can live with your grandparents. A lot depends on your situation. If you are under 18 the best way to do that would be ask your parents for permission to live with them. We'd like to help out further but really would need more information from you about your situation. The best way to do that would be for you to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via our main page: www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon!

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I can't stand the way my parents treat me. Can I live with my grandmother instead? I've been putting up with it for a while now and I just can't stand it I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't get away.
    same here i love my mediate family of four but sometimes it is so afwful and im the oldest kid so they expect a lot.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.
      Thank you, NRS

• I want to live my grandparents
    i get yelled at everyday as soon as I walk through the doors and just cry 24/7 and I have even packed a bag at one point to leave they treat me like I’m not even there I asked to do something like go to a friends and they just yell “ your out to much I want you home “ like why do you think I always want to be at a friends dance cause I don’t like y’all and my stepdad went through my phone and read me And my best friends texts and was like “ why do you not like living here” And I told him why then he yelled at me and i just don’t wanna love at my house

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you’re feeling really frustrated and overwhelmed. No one deserves to be yelled at or ignored.

If you feel like your mom and stepdad’s behavior could be abuse, you have the right to report it to the authorities at any time.
      Childhelp, an organization we work with that focuses on preventing child abuse, defines abuse as: when a parent or caregiver, whether through action or failing to act, causes injury, death, emotional harm or risk of serious harm to a child. If you’d like to ask more questions about abuse or the reporting process, Childhelp has an anonymous hotline you can call at 1-800-422-4453.

When you’re living in a tense situation at home, it can be helpful just to have someone to be able to talk to and get things off your chest, like a friend or a family member you trust. Even parents of friends can be helpful. You can also check if your school has a counselor you can talk to. Activities like writing your feelings out in a journal, exercising, or finding ways to spend less time at home (like joining a club or team at school) can also make things a little easier on you.

We’re here for you 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you’d like to talk more about your situation or brainstorm other options.

-NRS

• I have a good home and everything but u just feel like I should of stayed with my grandad as he never tells me off only occasionally and always cook good food and so does my auntie and uncle but I just felt much better there the way I am right is that I get so angry and frustrated and simple things like the Internet or like when they tell me off for something small idk why but I just wish I stayed but I don't want to tell them cause I thing that they will ask many questions and why but I don't want to make them upset so what do I do

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
      NRS

• My mom isn’t home 70 percent of the time I’m either home alone or with my grandparents I cook clean and have taken care of her many times when drunk and many other things I’ve had countless times tried to move in with my dad or grandparents on his sad and my mom refuses at sixteen can I move in with my grandparents on my dads side or dad and say I won’t go back?

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      As of right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

• i hate my mom i just wanna live with my grandma

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Sounds like you are really frustrated with living with your mom and wanting to stay with your grandma. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X