No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls help... Im 13 and i cant live with my mom anymore and wanna live with my gparents and they want me 2 live with them. My mom is always screamung and pushes me around all the timem she says my gma is manipulating me but she isnt.. My mom is manipulating me into not liking my gma. I wanna go 2 court so my gma can get custody but idk how and my mom lives in my gparents house and the only reason they havent kicked her out is cuz she will take us with her and we will never see them again. Pls tell me what i should do. There is a lot going on that i cant type but i have evidence 4 court that shes not suiting. I started voice recording things and i have a scar in my head where she threw sumthing at me. She doesnt even wake up in the morning 4 school, my gma takes us 2 school, events, shopping, to the doctor, dentist, and anywhere else. The last tike i remember my mom taking me sumwhere we were shopping and had 2 leave so she put my items on hold and then she told me that she changed her mind ab it. Pls give me advide on what 2 do or how to give my gparents custody

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for contacting NRS, it takes courage to reach out for help. We are very sorry to hear that your home is such a difficult and violent place to live. It sounds like you might want to talk to your local police (911), or the National Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-422-4453). You can also talk to a teacher, school counselor, or someone with authority you trust. They could help you with custody and how to resolve things with your mother in a safe legal way. If you are thinking of running away or would like more information you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online.

• So, I wanna move in with my grandma and im 14, am I able to?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

The easiest way you can live with your grandma at 14 is with your guardian's permission. If you haven't already you might let your gardian know you are interested in living with her. You might also let your grandma know that you could need help talking to your parents about living with her. Sometimes it can help to have a supportive adult included in difficult conversations. If you leave home without permission, that is when you could be considered a runaway by local police.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or if you have more questions: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS

• I want to live w
    oth my grandma

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate doing so. Sounds like you are wanting to live with your grandma. That might be an option for you depending on your situation. The easiest way you can move is with your guardian's permission. If you haven't already you might try to talk to your grandma about living with her and then include her in on that conversation with your guardian.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

-NRS

• Hello I am 16 years old, I live Missouri and right now things at home are terrible. I recently have had 3 verbal fights with my moms boyfriend who hates me. He talks down on me all the time and so does my mom. I always watch my siblings 24/7. I don't get to watch TV ,we aren't allowed to go outside, I cook and clean all the time. My grandma is the only who knows and she is trying to get me out but she has no car so we are still figuring out how we are going to get this done. I have like 29 days left of school. I've already brought the situation to my mom and she got super defensive and was not helpful at all. My mom and her boyfriend are very toxic towards me specifically. I really need to get out of this place but I want to make sure that I won't be forced back "home" with the people that hate me just so my mom can yell at me for "running away" for my own sanity. Please Help!!!!!
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to NRS! From what you shared your mom and her boyfriend have created a really negative environment at home. Home should be safe and you deserve to feel loved where you lived. It definitely would be quite stressful to live somewhere with so many restrictions and no support. It sounds like your grandma is trying her best to support you and living with her would help you get away from your mom and her boyfriend’s toxic behavior.

We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information about running away. Running away is not illegal; however, leaving home without permission gives your mom the right to file a runaway report. If your mom or someone else notified the police that you were staying with your grandma, they would most likely return you home.
      You mentioned that you already tried talking to your mom about wanting to leave but it did not end well. Sometimes having another family member or person your mom trusts involved can help the conversation be more productive. Your grandma could try talking to your mom and ask for permission for you to stay with her so that you would not be considered a runaway. Also, we offer a conference call service where we can be on the line with you and your mom to make sure you feel your needs are being heard.

We encourage you to reach out to us by phone at 1-800786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about your situation or explore options more in-depth.

• Recently, my parents have divorced and it has been really hard on me. My mother is very close-minded and cannot support me and my sister without the help of friends, my father and my grandparents. I see my grandparents regularly and my dad every other weekend. I know by court orders that if I wanted to live with my dad, I could, however, he lives in another state and I am a couple of years away from graduating. Would it be possible to live with my grandparents off of one parent's permission or could I press this issue through some sort of court system? Thank you!

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You ask a good question. It sounds like things are getting pretty overwhelming at home. It seems like you’re working on putting together a plan on where you can go to get the support that you are looking for. That’s smart. So let’s see how we can help you out.

We are sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your mom, from what you explained, it sounds like mom has primary custody of you. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they would most likely bring you home.
      Sometimes people in positions like yours will try and get permission from both their parents to go to live with their grandparents. There might be a couple tips to help you get that permission. Thinking through what you are willing to compromise on might be helpful. (If you are asking something from your parents, then they might ask for something from you). You might be able to ask if you could spend the weekends with your grandparents or something like that. It can also be helpful to you get your grandparents on board with your plan, so contacting them next might be a good step. They might also be able to help have that discussion with you parents. We are glad to know that you have someone to support you. Something to consider would be to reach out to them and try to discuss a way to start a conversation with your mom.

We are here to talk more about what is going on and talk through more options at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
      Be safe, NRS

• I want to leave my mom's house. She is my only caretaker, my dad is out of this country. I would like to move in with my grandpa, and I have his permission. I am willing to go through any paperwork I would have to. The one problem is that my mom would do whatever she could do to prevent me from leaving because she is so possessive, and thinks if she can't have me no one can. Would I still be able to somehow leave? I am also located in Wisconsin just in case the rules may vary from state to state.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-10-2019, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Reply:I want to leave my moms house

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Although we are not legal experts we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore options towards change in your situation, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi, I would love to go live with my grandmother, because my parents suck. They dont treat me like their child they treat me like a slave, and I am sick of it. I also have a little brother who gets all their attention. They get him dressed, feed him and dont yell at him for anything. He is 10 years old. If he gets an F, nothing. If I get a C+ I am grounded. They also wont get me a therapist for my depression and I also have a concussion and they could care less. When I was probably 12. I actually grabbed a knife and cut myself. I am 13 now and feel like if I dont get out of this place I call hell I will kill myself.what should I do

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. We are sorry to hear about the way you have been treated at home. It sounds like the mistreatment at home is becoming more and more difficult to deal with.

It is totally understandable that would feel helpless at home given how your parents treat you compared to your brother. However, life is worth living, and your reaching out to us shows you have a great deal of courage and are willing to fight. A great resource to reach out to if you are having suicidal thoughts is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

If you have not already done so I would also consider reaching out to a school guidance counselor or relative that you feel comfortable with to discuss the issues you are dealing with at home. They may be able to find you help whether that be being able to see a therapist or talking to your parents for you.

You can also call into our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to explore your other options. It may help to discuss more about your specific situation and help us be able to determine some ways to help your living situation.

One of the services we offer as an organization is our conference call service. This conference call service is a moderated conversation between you, a member of the NRS, and your parents. In this conversation you set the guidelines and goals in order to have a productive conversation that can improve your conditions at home.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct. We can also be reached via live chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

Best Wishes

~NRS

• Sick of it

My parents seem to hate me. And i understand the reasons. I procrastinate, I swear, and I constantly blow up at them. But they are NOT perfect by any means. My mother screams at me, slaps me, calls me terrible names like wh*re and b*cth. My father has a policy where "if he doesn't hear it he can't do anything about it.". Which I know is bull****, because he seems to hear everything I say, but nothing of what my mother JUST said. They constantly tell me to "lose the attitude" when I don't have one, and they praise and baby my little brother, who is 5 years younger than me. My grandparents treat me like their own daughter, and they value my existence. My actual parents pretend that I don't exist sometimes. My mother said that if I lived with them, I would never be in the "real world" again, and that it was "her job" to keep me "in the real world.". She says it like she's a f***ing angel sent from God to straighten me up. PLEASE HELP!

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for reaching out to NRS – we are here to help you. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation at home. Nobody deserves to be yelled at or called names – we are so sorry that is happening to you.
          It sounds like your grandparents are loving and it sounds like you feel comfortable with them. Depending on your age, it might make it easier or more challenging to move in with your grandparents. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or begin a live chat with us from the NRS website, 1800RUNAWAY.org, we can explore more options for you. We are confidential and we are here 24/7 to help.

• So my parents treat me with no respect and are illogical and unjust to me and this has been going on for years and I’ve finally have started seriously considering moving in with my grandparents which wouldn’t change a lot of things considering I’ll still be able to go to my current school no complications, what should I do

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thanks for posting! Sounds like things are getting pretty stressful at home with your parents and you are looking for some options. We are glad you reached out!
          We are not legal experts and without knowing your age, it is hard to say what may work for you. We know that generally, 18 is the legal age in most states and leaving before that age without permission, your parents can file you as a runaway if they want to. If this happens, the police may return you home if they come into contact with you for some reason.
          One way to avoid this may be to ask your parents' permission to move in with your grandparents. Maybe your grandparents could help with that. We also offer conference calls with parents and could help mediate that conversation if you think having some extra support would be beneficial!

Again, we are so glad you are looking for some help with all of this. It is a big decision and we are here to support you no matter what you decide! We are 24/7 and can help best directly by phone (1-800-786-2929) and by live chat at the link on our website at the top of this page. Reach out again anytime!

• I want to move with my grandfather cause I have a mom who is always making me watch my siblings while she goes to work and she screams In my face and hits me she's really greety with food In the pantry and always gets snacks for her self and I had stepdads who've done alot of drugs like marijuana and crack cocaine and one of them is in prison for kidnapping and robbery charges and I want to live with my grandfather cause I want to happy and not around that

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for contacting NRS help! It sounds your mom has been making home unsafe and a very stressful environment for you. A parent hitting their child is never okay and it is not your fault. Your mom is supposed to care for you and provide for you. Home is supposed to feel safe and comfortable. From what you shared, it is understandable you would want to live with a family member who makes you feel happy.

If you were to leave without your mom’s permission then she would have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, if found by the police you might be returned home. In this situation you can tell police that you do not feel safe at home. We also encourage you to reach out to your grandfather for support and see if he might be able to help you talk to your mom about giving you permission to live with him. Another option for you could be through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. The National Child Abuse Hotline can help give you more information about abuse reporting and filing an abuse report if you choose to this route. You can call them at 1-800-422-4453 or look at their website ; childhelp.org.

We are available 24/7 if you want to explore options further or just need someone to talk to about your situation. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

• Hello. I'm 15 and my parents have disowned me a few times. My dad has hit me and my mom favors my sisters heavily. My guard parents want to fight in court to take custody of me, and I fully support that. Is that even possible? I am constantly suicidal because my parents do not love me, and I only feel safe with my grandparents. Help, please??

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, thanks for posting today. It sounds like things are really stressful and taking quite the toll on you. We are glad you reached out! Your safety is our #1 priority and you mentioned feeling suicidal as well as your dad hitting you. Having thoughts of suicide is not uncommon, especially when things are so hard and unfair at home. If you are ever in immediate danger of taking your own life, you can call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room for immediate help. Calling 911, someone will be sent to check on you. We are also 24/7 by call (1-800-786-2929) and live chat here on our website and are always open to talking to youth struggling with things like problems with their parents, custody, and mental health. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is also 24/7 both on the phone and online and they are another resource for when you feel unsafe: 1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

You mentioned you feel safe with your grandparents and that they are trying to gain custody of you. This is one option. We are not legal experts, but generally if another family member feels the youth is unsafe at home, gaining custody in court is possible. Contacting a local legal aid or lawyer is one way to get more information on this. We have legal resources throughout the country so feel free to call or chat us anytime and we can look some up for you! You said your dad has hit you and your mom favors your sister. If you think this is to the extent of abuse, you have every right to report it...if you want to! Child Help (1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org) is a resource that can provide more information on abuse and getting custody transferred to a safe adult, like your grandparents. If making an abuse report is something you are interested in, we can help you make that report too, as we know that can be a difficult step to take. We are always anonymous and confidential, so you can choose to call or chat without giving your name. But if you want our help in filing a report, we can get more information and do that too!

Reaching out and talking about these things is a really hard thing to do. We commend you for posting today! We are here 24/7 to listen and help so feel free to reach out again anytime! Be safe!

• I really want to get away from my parents and live at my loving grandparents house my head is a mess and I just want to get away from it and then I’ll go live at my biological dads house

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like it might be a tricky situation. There might be some legal issues with you moving out of your dad’s house if you are under age. You can always call us up at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org and we can discuss those issues further.

You mention that you feel like your head is a mess. You do not deserve to feel like that. You can always reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Their number is 1800-950-NAMI or you can text NAMI to 741741. They can help provide you support and answer any questions you may have regarding how you are feeling.

Stay safe!

• I am transgender and pansexual and my mom refuses to accept this. I am not getting the emotional support I need. I want to live with my Mema who is surprisingly supportive considering her generation. How old do I need to be to leave home and live with her without parental consent?

Comment

• Hi there,

First, we are sorry to hear your mom is not yet accepting of who you are and that you are deprived of the emotional support that you should rightfully have. Generally, once you are 18 years old you are considered emancipated, which means you no longer are under your guardian's supervision. But perhaps it's possible your mom would grant you permission to live with your Mema? Maybe you could explain what you want and how this would possibly benefit both of you.

We'd like to see how else we can help you, but it might require getting a little more information from you about your situation. The best way we can help is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 and can help you figure out what all your options are. We hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X