No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im in the middle of depression because my parents keep going behind my back about things. I have told them i will run away to my grandparents if they do ot again and they did. Can they fill in a runaway report if they know where i am? Or do i need permission. Please help, i need it quick before i do anything bad.

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the national Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor, under 18, and you leave and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home, especially if they know where you are. There could also be legal consequences for your grandparents or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Okay so my mom never listens to anybody and she only wants what is good for her, she likes to argue and stay with my step dad who is rude and mean like her most of the time. She only cares about him and she doesn’t like to see me happy but she won’t amit to it. I want to live with my grandma but if I go to court my mom would bring up my grandmas past with abusive people and stuff but my grandma doesn’t act like that now. Could my grandma still win custody of me. I just turned 14 on Saturday.

Comment

• My mom is never in a stable home she always moves around this is my third school this year and I’m missing to much school. I want to live with my grandma because she wouldn’t make me move around and I’m happier with her but if I go to court can I pick where I want to live. I’m 14 and my dad is out of the picture because he is in jail right now I’m pretty sure but I don’t want to live with my mom and I don’t know if I have a choice to pick another Guardian Other than my parents at 14.

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your home is a toxic environment and you think it would be a safer to live with your grandmother. We understand that you want to live with your grandmother now but realistically it is really hard for birth parents to lose their rights, especially if your grandmother has a checkered past. The best way to figure out what her chances are would be to get in contact with some legal representation. They would be best suited to answer any questions you have regarding the legalities of you being able to live with your grandmother.
            Additionally, having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
            Take care,
            NRS

• I want to move in with my grandma could I I'm tired of the way my mom and her bf treats me and it's alot to handle I'm 17 I really need to get away from them asap in bout to my breaking point

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us, we know its difficult to ask for help in times of need. Its really unfortunate to hear that your mom is not treating you the way you feel you deserve, and that you feel that you need to get out of your own home. We are here to help.

We unfortunately don’t know what the details of your situation are so we cannot tell you if you can move to your grandmother’s house. Also we are not a legal service so we cannot give any advice that way, but we do know if she has some sort of custody over you that would be a good sign that you could. It would be a good idea to call us directly and we would be able to help you further with finding legal aid resources. Those are lawyers who help youth for free and would be able to find ways for your grandmother to have custody over you.

Thank you again for searching for help on your own, we would be more than happy to help you further over the phone.

• Sometimes I feel like I want to run away because my step mom hates me and only hits me when my dad is not around I feel like I live with my bully she wants to fight me in the street one day and she is almost 30 and I'm only 12 people at my school said I'm aloud to pick who I want to live with I pick my grandparents because they are comfortable to talk to and I brave when I'm around them

Comment

• Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and listen to you in your situation. It seems like you are going through a very difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be bullied and hit, that is never okay. When you say your mother hits you and fights you in the street that can be considered abuse. If you would like you can report that to The Child Help Line at- 1800-422-4453. We know sometimes it can be scary to make those reports if you choose to report that and would like our help you can call us and we would be more than happy to assist you in reporting that. Also you mentioned your mother only hits you when your dad is not around, have you thought about mentioning this to your father? It is great you feel comfortable and brave around your grandparents! Unfortunately at age 12 you cannot legally pick who you live with, without your parent’s permission. You could consider getting your parents’ permission to stay with your grandparents for a while. If it is not possible for you to get their permission we will explain the runaway laws. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. What that means is if you runaway and a report is filed the police would most likely not arrest you instead they would bring you back home. Also your parents could charge your grandparents with harboring a runaway, which takes time and can be costly. We are not legal experts so to find out exactly what could happen you may want to call your local police department’s non-emergency phone number.

We hope this information will help you in your situation, and we wish you the best of luck. Remember you are not alone in this, stay strong!

NRS
            Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
            https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Please help me I a child that does have a mom she died when I was5 I love with my dad he call me stuppied and he sells drugs I got prof go on Facebook search Calvin dawes like at his page and he makes me stay with 1 grandma she hurt me two and God help me I wish I stay with my other grandma Janice woods he hit me to I have a mark help me you can't come to house he would kill me when you leave please help today let me move please and think you

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help when times are hard and we want to commend your resilience. It sounds like you are living in an extraordinarily stressful and abusive environment. You might want to consider reporting and contacting the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org. They can help you understand what that process might look like and how it could end up. If you feel like you are in danger, please do not hesitate to contact 911 with your emergency. If you want to talk about what other options there might be or if you have any questions, please call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

• What happens if i runaway and the police find me but they dont catch me could i get arrested for not following the cops orders?

Comment

• ccsmod16
                ccsmod16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,
                Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our online forum service.
                Running away is not illegal, but if you do run away and your parent or legal guardian files a runaway report, then the police are obligated to return you home if they do locate you. We are not legal experts, so we are unsure what would happen in the situation that you try to run from the police. You can make an anonymous call to the non-emergency police number in your area and ask them what would happen in that situation. You can find this phone number in a search engine by searching the name of your city and “non-emergency police number”.
                If you do decide to run away, it is important to have a plan for your safety and ensure that all of your basic needs will be met as well (food, shelter, etc.) At NRS, we would be happy to talk to this plan with you and answer any additional questions about running away you might have. We can also call out to the non-emergency phone number for you or with you. Please feel free to contact us at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY (786-2929) or chat with us online at 1800runaway.org. Best of luck with everything!

• Hi I'm in foster care since 2017 now and really what to live with my grandparents that are ill but my social worker is not letting me go there and I have trade to the that and they are not listening to what my wish are because I'm so use to helping my grandparents and I tried to run away as well as self harm.I don't know what to do next ?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like what you’re dealing with is very difficult and hopefully we can assist. It seems to really be hard on you that your social worker isn’t agreeing with you being with your grandparents and that you have been self-harming as well as running away. Sometimes things seem too hard to deal with and we all need support. You are very strong to have made it this far. If you are self-harming because you are feeling suicidal, it may be beneficial to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their number is 1800-273-8255. We would love to talk to you further and discuss some resources for you as well as discuss your matter further. We are here to help. Feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline by calling 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting 1800runaway.org.

• hi, I can't stand my mother's biased opinions against me, she picks my siblings sides over mine no matter if she saw it or not. My father, on the other hand, is fair in his disciplining unless my mum is home when my mum is home he agrees with her, I'm not sure why but I can't take it anymore. My anger is getting worse and I'm getting more impulsive the longer I'm staying around them. I just want to go live with my nan and grandad (who live in the nearest city to mine). I tell them I want to stay with my grandparents, but they just laugh at me with sarcasm. I am seriously considering emancipation, however, I am only 14 and I don't think I will be ready to that, one thing for sure is id rather be emancipated then live with them. Thank you for your time.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello there, thanks for reaching out today!

Sounds like you are going through so much right now. Unfortunately we are based in the United States and do not know what international runaway laws look like. Your might reach out to the UK's Childline: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/.

Best of luck to you and we are sorry we are unable to help.

-NRS

• I’m in a stuck situation. My dad was killed and now I am raised by my mom and step dad. My step dad is a super insecure human being and takes advantage of me. He is rude to me and always says when I’m winning an argument,”you have an easy life.” I have an easy life until he comes back. I really want to live with my grandpa. I’m only 13 years old, I can’t put up with this. Could I move in with my grandpa at age 13?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there

First of all, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re dealing with a stressful situation with your stepdad. It sounds like your situation may be abusive and we want you to know that abuse is never okay. You deserve to live in a safe and healthy environment.

We can’t say for sure whether it’s okay to live with your grandpa, because there are a lot of factors that we don’t know from your original post. We are also not legal experts. Typically, however, you can live anywhere with your parent’s or guardian’s permission. So the first thing to check is whether your mom would be okay with it.

If you ran away to live with your grandpa without your mom’s permission, then your mom could file a runaway report. If she does that and you are picked up by local law enforcement, it is typically not considered a crime. It’s just a status offense, which means it doesn’t go on your criminal record. But usually that means that law enforcement would return you to your mom’s home.

If there was abuse in your home, law enforcement would contact Child Protective Services instead and look at finding a safe place for you to live. For this reason, you may want to consider filing an abuse report if there has been abuse in your home. You can call child Help at 1-800-422-4453 to do that.

Again, it sounds like you’re dealing with a lot and it’s great that you reached out. If you’d like to discuss this further, please call us anytime 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

• I cant stand my mom and her boyfriend any longer im 12 and my mom wont get rid of him he has been with us for at least 8 or 9 years he calls me names and hurts my mom. Sometimes its like my mom chooses her boyfriend over me and my brother im not going to runaway but I would rather live with my grandparents were they don't treat me bad. My mom and her boyfriend even think im emo and gay but im NOT I just really need some help on how to legally get to live with my grandparents.

Comment

• ccsmod3
                ccsmod3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to provide help through resources and explore options. You have every right to feel safe at home, and you have the right to remove yourself from an unsafe situation. Abuse it never ok- whether it’s verbal, emotional, or physical.
                Because of your age (12) you are considered a minor in the eyes of the law. This mean that if you were to leave home without permission, there is a chance that your legal guardian could file a runaway report. Your legal guardian is in charge of where you stay until you turn 18. Your grandparents could potentially petition for legal custody- that would be a discussion you would need to have with them.
                Having someone you trust to turn to for support is very important- perhaps there is a school counselor or trusted teacher you can talk to about how you feel? You can also always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you ever want someone to listen. We are 24/7 and always here to help.

• Hey I been living with my grandma ever since I left the hospital and now I'm living with my mom she took me from my grandma the police got involved and now I'm leaving here with my mom but I don't wanna be here I don't like it here I really just wanna run away

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what you’ve been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way. You’ve been very courageous to reach out for help and try your best despite the circumstances.
                Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. Guardians could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.
                In regards to your plan of living with your grandparents, we would encourage you to speak with your both your mom and your grandmother if you haven’t already about this. Some things to consider would be guardianship, school enrollment, how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety if something were to happen. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding.
                If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
                We hope this information was helpful and take care.

• I'm on my nan's phone now. I want to live with my nan but my dad won't let me. I haven't told him, because I'm scared. My mum died in a car accident 3 years ago, and my dad doesn't let me see my nan much at all. I see her once every two weeks or even three. I've wanted to live with her ever since my mum died. But I don't have the courage to say anything to my dad, because I'm terrified. He isn't abusive or anything, although he calls me pathetic sometimes. It's just that I'm really unhappy where I live and I have a step mum and two step sisters who I very much dislike. I also have anxiety and I feel that my anxiety won't be as bad as it is now if I lived with my nan. If anyone reads this, please tell me how I can get back with my nan. I miss living in the countryside with her. I need help to get back with her.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X