I want to live with my grandparents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there
    I live with my parents but they don’t let me do anything. I’m not allowed to say at my friends house and haven’t stayed at any ones house in 3 years. I want to live with my grandparents because my parents are always yelling at me. I’m think I’m a good kid and I have good grades but my household is terrible it’s making me disobedient and making me become a badder kid. Please help!!

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. It sounds like your parents are strict and you want to live with your grandparents. The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with parental consent. You could try asking your grandparents if they would talk to your parents about the possibility of you staying with them. Another option that you have is to contact Child Help (1-800-786-2929) for information on how to transfer custody. We hope that this information is helpful, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• I want to live with my grandparents because I just feel more safer with them they actually pay attention to me and treat me a way a kid wants to be treated I live in ash flat Arkansas but my grandparents live in Scranton Kansas which is about 6 hours and 30 minutes away from grandparents house I am almost 12 years old and I just feel safer with my grandma and grandpa

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you feel safe and more comfortable with living with your grandparents. Glad that you feel supported by them. It may be good to have a conversation with your current guardians about how they treat you and if that is an option for you to be able stay with your grandparents or if there is a way something at home can be improved.
      If you want to leave, you would need your parent’s permission to go until you are 18 years old. We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.
      NRS

• I wanna move with my grandma, but she lives in arizona.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. It sounds like you want to move with your grandmother. You could try asking your grandmother if she would speak with your guardian about the possibility of you stay with her. You may also want to consider contacting Child Help (1-800-422-4453) for information on how to transfer custody. We hope that this information is helpful, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) if you have any questions or just want to talk.

• I'm 18 and I live with my dad and step mom. My step mom has verbally and mentally abused for almost 10 years to the point I contemplated suicide multiple times. I still have a good relationship with my dad but he just gives in to everything my Stepmom says. I have 2 very young sisters as well that I love but I just can't stay any longer. Before she married my dad her 2 year old daughter suffocated from a plastic bag while she was passed out not 10 feet away after drinking(she was also a married woman at the time and still called my single father dad and asked him to stay home from work to help her because the child eas driving her crazy while he responded he could not). I mostly believe he married her out of guilt. I can't yet afford to live on my own and my grandparents have told me they would be more than happy if I moved in with them and I want to, but I don't want to abandon my dad and sisters as she is abusive to all of them and can't even be trusted to watch the kids alone. I now also must pay rent. I'm not sure what to do I guess I need some kind of push to leave.

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about all that you have been facing and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. Because you are a legal adult, you would be able to leave your home and live with your grandparents or whomever you would like. It is understandable that you would want to protect you dad and your sisters as well and shows just how much you care about them that you would be unsure of leaving because of that. Your sisters would have the right to report the abuse or neglect and you could help them to do that. Or we could help you to have a conversation with your dad about how you are feeling and about how you feel he should put your sisters as a priority. It's obvious that you care a lot about your family, but you also have the right to put yourself first and pave the best path for yourself.

If you want to walk through options you might have or if you want us to help you have that conversation with him, give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I want to go live with my grandma she can take care of me i have a home and clothes and stuff i just hate my dad and thats a fact he treats me like crap and cheated on my mother multiple times and brings me down want to see me fail in life ill do better with her i know i will i cant take it anymore
        Last edited by ccsmod3; 08-22-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runway Safeline. We appreciate you contacting us in your time of need, it was very brave of you.
          It sounds like your parents are putting you in the middle of their issues, which isn’t fair for you and must be really stressful on you. We aren’t legal experts here by any means. If you’re wanting to live with your grandmother, an option you may want to consider is reaching out to a legal aid. They’re lawyers who help youth for free and you can ask them some questions regarding what it would take in order for your custody to change. If you are able to give us a call, we would be more than willing to provide you with a resource where you will be able to do so.

It may help to talk to someone you trust about how you’re feeling. If that discussion is hard to have with your parents, you may reach out to a close friend, relative, counselor, or teacher. We offer conference calling services here, between youth and parents. If you ever want our help calling out to your parents, we’re here to help with that call.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong, NRS

• Hello, please help me, I need some advice, and quick!

Im 14 and im still going to school but there is a problem you see... Everyday I wake up about 5 in the morning feeling very tired only getting 6 hours of sleep because everyday I have to watch my brothers and sisters and cook while my older brother and sisters dont help me watch them. I dont get a chance to nap because my sister is being a douche and a hypocrite to go sleep for herself when she stays up all night touching her technology. My brother he is very lazy and doesnt help around the house. He also wants to fight me sometimes for various reasons. My parents always think im touching or abusing my phone because everytime they see me Im touching my phone and that is what they say always! For school, I have to be dropped off from my house to my grandmas because I take the bus there and the bus is no where near my house. I'd rather live in an old house than a family hell hole because I cannot focus on school, have friends, and get enough sleep while everyone makes fun of my height because i need sleep to grow!

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for us. We are sorry to hear about your home situation. It is unfortunate that your older brother and sisters are not helping you with duties that should be evenly shared.

Have you talked to your parents about how you feel? Do your parents know how little your older siblings help you? Have you talked to your grandparents about living with them? If they are okay with it maybe they can talk to your parents for you. Perhaps you could alternate between parents and grandparents which would assure that your older siblings would have to do the chores while you are not home.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We know how hard it can be to reach out to others for help when one is trying to figure out their options which you are trying to do. If you would like to discuss your situation with us further please feel free to call or chat with us at any time. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best, NRS

• I have talked to them but they don't listen to what I have to say. Its always me who is targeted because once targeted always targeted.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          That must be really difficult to not feel heard. We are here 24/7 if you would like to talk to us here we can better help you problem solve. Perhaps someone at school or another family member or friend's parents could help too.
          Unforunately, we can only respond to forums twice because of the high number of messages we get.

We can help you directly 24/7 if you reach out by live chat online or by phone at 1-800-786-2929

Best of luck!

• I want to live with my grandpa in California but i live in Tennessee and im 16 can i live with him???

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out. We aren't legal experts, but can give some general information. In general, you are considered a minor when you are 16 years old. If you would like to live somewhere different than you live now, you would need permission from your parents or legal guardians. If you would like to speak more specifically about your situation, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Take care!

--NRS

• I want to love with my grandparents but I don't know how to approach my parents and I just hate the way they treat me and my siblings too I applied to a school in Nashville so I can live far-ish away from my parents what do I do?!

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are sorry to hear about your situation as you do not deserve that kind of treatment and hope that we can provide some helpful information.
          Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. Your parents could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.
          If you are not a minor, then you are legally able to make the choice to leave without your parents’ permission. It can be difficult to discuss this with your parents, but if you’re just wondering how to approach this topic, some important things to consider would be how you take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, education, healthcare) if you were to move to your grandparents’ or elsewhere. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding. This includes you being able to speak about your desire to live with your grandparents. We could also role-play a conversation between yourself and your parents and brainstorm how to discuss your school decision.
          Whenever you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
          We hope this information was helpful and take care.
          National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

• I'm 12. Whenever I'm at home I feel unsafe. My father always yells and swears - I feel like I'm treading on eggshells most of the time. Sometimes he's in a good mood and is sweet, but anything can set him off. He slapped me a few months ago - I can't trust him. I want to live with my grandparents, but I just don't know how they would react. I feel like they would reject me, no matter how hard I plead. I can't tell anyone - It has to be a secret. I don't trust many people; definitely not enough to tell them about what's going on.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.
          It sounds like you are having a hard time at home. You don’t deserve to be hurt in any way. You have the right to file an abuse report. If it might be an option for you to call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453, they can help you provide more information on filing an abuse report. It can be helpful to have pictures of any bruises or marks you may have to have as a proof. If you are safety is ever at risk you can call 911. It sounds like you trust your grandparents. If it might be an option to speak to them how you feel sometimes talking to someone you trust can be helpful. Also we do offer a conference call service where you can call us and we can conference call with your parents and advocate for you.
          It sounds like things are really overwhelming sometimes talking to a school counselor can also be helpful. You can also contact SAMHSA national hotline at 1-877-726-4727.

You are acting strong by reaching out for help. If it might be an option for you to call us at our 24 confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we would be happy to listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

Best,
          NRS

• I’m staring to become into a deep depression and I barely feel happy I want to live with my grandparents but I don’t know what to do because I’m only 12 I mostly feel happy when I’m with my grandparents. I feel stressed all the time I cry almost everyday I’m at my moms house. I’m not sure what to do besides runaway to their house.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there, thanks for reaching out! That takes a lot of courage! We are here to help!
          It sounds like home is super stressful and has been harmful to you. You seem really unhappy at home and sounds like you are looking for some options.
          The easiest way to leave home under 18 is with permission. Is there any chance your parents would allow you to live with your grandparents? Perhaps your grandparents can help you talk to your parents about this option. We also offer conference calling with parents so you can call us here at 1-800-786-2929 and we can help you talk to your parents about living with your grandparents if that is something you think could help.

You also mentioned feeling depressed and crying often. Maybe talking to a favorite teacher or a counselor at school could help. We also have resources for local therapists, counselors, and support groups. If you want more info on that, feel free to call us or live chat through our website and we can get you some more resources.

You have been really brave in reaching out and posting tonight. It really is a hard thing to do!

Please reach out anytime! We are here to support you 24/7

• The school that I’m going to right now is terrible and I go into high school next year and I don’t think I can make it through the next 4 years here. If I get permission from my mom to move in with my grandparents next summer when I turn 15 would I be able to if she gives me and my grandparents permission

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach to us.

It sounds like you are going through a stressful time at school. School can be challenging in a number of ways. Talking to your parents, teachers, or school counselors can be helpful in many situations. If there is anything which puts your safety at risk at school you can call 911. If there is any bulling at school, it is not ok. You can find more information on bullying at https://www.stopbullying.gov . You can also contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-877-726-4727 and they can provide you counseling resources. It sounds like you have been thinking about leaving home and moving to your grandparents. It can be helpful to think and talk with your grandparents if that is somewhere you can stay for a long time, how you might pay for food and other living expenses. If there is anything you might not have access to if you were to move to your grandparents, being able to meet friend etc. While we are not legal expert speaking generally with your parents’ permission you can go to any place safe. However if your parents do not give permission and they are to file a police report the police can bring you back home and whoever you are to stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

This can be a lot to think about and we are here to support you through this process. If you call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or live chat with us we can listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

Best,
          NRS

• Hello, my mother and her boyfriend fight a lot he likes to break her stuff and call her very innapropriate names, my mother does not want me to live with my grandparents and neither does her boyfriend. However my father who is now in work release says he thinks it would be better for me if I were to live with my grandparents. I was wondering if there is any law where I can legally live with my grandparents with only half parents consent.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our online forum. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation at home with the way your mother’s boyfriend is treating her. You deserve to live somewhere that you feel happy and safe.
          Living with your grandparents would not be illegal on your part. It is possible that if you do live with your grandparents, your mom may call the police and file a runaway report. In that case, your grandparents could be charged with harboring a runaway. We can’t predict how the police will respond or if your mom will file a report, but if your father gives consent for you to live with your parents it may lessen the likelihood of any charges especially if your father has legal guardianship over you. It could also be helpful to try to speak with your mom or write a letter to her to share your feelings about wanting to live with your grandparents to see if she can get on board with it.
          You also mentioned that your mother’s boyfriend fight a lot and that he sometimes breaks her things. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a great resource to talk with about this situation as well, and they can be reached at 1 (800) 799-7233.
          If you have any further questions or want to devise a plan to move out, we are available 24/7 at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best of luck with everything and hope that this information has been helpful.

• It’s it possible to move out if your parents are separated to the other one.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runway Safeline. We appreciate you contacting us in your time of need, it was very brave of you.

It sounds like your parents are putting you in the middle of their issues, which isn’t fair for you and must be really stressful on you. You should have a say when it comes to which parent you’re going to live with. Whichever parent is your legal guardian,is the only one who can give you permission to live elsewhere. So that means that if you did leave to live with your non-custodial parent, without permission, they could report you as a runaway. If the police find you, they will return you to your custodial parent.

We offer a conference calling service, between youth and their parents. If you ever wanted our help talking to your parents about which you’d rather live with, we're always here to make that call with you. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication, and see the best way that everyone can compromise.

We have heard in some cases, where the judge will listen to the child’s input on which parent they would rather live with. We also have a database of legal aid resources that help youth for free. If you wanted us to connect you with those resources, don’t hesitate call into our safeline.

We hope our response is helpful. In addition, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website.

Be safe, NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X