No announcement yet.

I'm tired I want to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm tired I want to leave

    I'm 16 years old and I want to runaway, my dad is way too strict. Last night I decided I wanted to sneak out and a friend was going to pick me up. Reason I wanted to go was because even if I asked my parents for permission they would've said no. I've done it multiple times but this one night I had to get caught by my dad. He hit me, yelled at new, called me dumb and stupid, that he thought I was intelligent.. every time I tried telling him I was leaving because you don't trust me or let me go out he would just hit me more. They took all my electronics from me even my little sisters phone. I'm using a really old phone right now. I want to leave to my friends house but he's 21 & I'm 16 would he get arrested if I went to his house? would I be forced to go home if they found out where I was at? Honestly I just wanna leave I don't want to have to wait 2 more years..

  • #2
    RE: I'm tired I want to leave

    Thank you very much for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline where we’re here to listen and here to help. Thank you for having the courage to reach out to us. We’re very sorry that you had to deal with your dad hitting you as you tried to explain the reasoning behind your actions. It’s understandable that you would want to leave—abuse is not acceptable. In fact, if you ever fear for your life, there are resources to help. For example, there is the National Child Abuse hotline where you could confidentially report abuse. Their number is 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).

    Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are not legal experts. However, we can tell you what generally happens when a youth runs away. Youth who are under the age of majority, which is in most cases below the age 18, who run away commit a status offense. A status offense is something that is illegal due to one’s age. This includes skipping school, drinking under age, etc. For those people who help a youth run away, they run the risk of being charged with harbouring a run away. This could lead those people to be subject to fines and other consequences as determined by your state.

    It’s nice that you have a friend who seems supportive. We hope you are surrounded by many such supports. Right now, it seems as though you have identified two courses of options: stay for two more years or runaway to your friend's house. We would like to share with you that there may be other options for you aside from running a way and committing a status offense. For example, have you ever considered seeking emancipation? Emancipation laws, just like the consequences for running away varies by state as well. Here are two sources that could prove useful for you that pertains to emancipation:

    Learn about emancipation of minors and how a child can get an emancipation.

    We would love to talk with you more and explore options with you to help you deal with your situation. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you stay or go. We would offer to support you in your choices. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us our website. By phone, we are available 24/7 and by chat we are available daily from 4:30pm-11:30pm.

    We wish you the best of luck!

    National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp