No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • issues

    Hi, I'm not sure where to turn to at this time. My mom and I have a lot of issues. I'll be 18 in less than a month. I went to some family members to vent about my mom's alcoholic issue (they already knew about it) but word got around and my mom got furious, she left the house then later came back, when I was in the shower she left again. So I left a note saying that I'll be home at night because she obviously wanted to get away from me and I wanted to get away from her too I got tired of the yelling and name calling when she was home. I came home at night and she tried to lock me out of the house again (she's succeeded before when I had no house key) but I got inside and went straight to my room, my dad came home later that night and my mom went crazy. She told him I was not welcome in the house, she was trying to lock me out for the weekend. So, today I'm going to leave a me stating the fact I'm going to stay at my friends house for the weekend. But you see, my mom is an alcoholic, even though she is locking me out and trying to get me out when I'll be 18 in less than a month, if she calls the cops what would happen? Should I call before to let them know what's going on and that I'm just staying away for the weekend? But I'm afraid if I do that then they will baker act me.

  • #2
    Re: issues

    Hi there,
    It sounds like you are going through a lot at home. It seems like you are doing your best to keep yourself safe, in the difficult position of being locked out by your mom.

    We are not legal experts here, but we can tell you that you do have a right to a safe environment at home: Your parent have the responsibility to let you live at home. You could try going to the police and telling them what’s going on, and that your mom has put you out of the house. At that point, they might contact your parents, or to help look for an alternative place to go.

    If your mom does call the police, it is possible that she could report you as a runaway. Since you are almost 18, it really depends upon your local police whether they will actively look for you. You can always contact your local police and anonymously ask them how they handle runaway reports on 17 year olds. If they do take a runaway report, the police would be able to bring you back to your parents’ house. It is not a crime to run away, so would not go to jail or having charges pressed against you.

    We hope that this information helps you to make a plan. We encourage you to give us a call if you are able. It sounds like things at home are tough to deal with, and we would be happy to listen, and to help you find any more resources that you need.

    We’re so glad that you reached out to us today. We wish you the best of luck, and hope to hear from you soon.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif