Confused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Ok so I just turned seventeen and I want to run away. I have wanted to run away since I was fifteen (so about a year and a half) but I have never done it. I really really want to though. I feel like I don't belong with my family. Like I'm a stranger. My brother is embarrassed to bring his friends over because I'm transgender, and my mom doesn't like going out with me because of the stares I get. She thinks I do all this bad stuff that I would never do. I feel guilty for making everyone embarrassed, and I feel guilty for wanting to run away. I'm not sure what to do anymore

RE: confused

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. We are sorry to hear that you do not feel comfortable in your own home. You deserve to be loved and appreciated for who you, as well as living in an environment that is supportive of you.

You brought up that you have been experiencing some issues at home because you have identified as being transgender. This sounds like these past years have been a difficult time for you. It sounds like you are a survivor. However, it must be difficult to not receive support from your family during this time. Turning to other resources for support, such as the LGBT National Hotline (1800.843.4564 M-F 6pm-11pm EST) or the Peer Youth Listening Line (1800.399.7337 5pm-10pm EST), can be an alternative way to get some support. You should not feel guilty for who you are and we are sorry to hear that the people around you make you feel this way. You are amazing and you should be celebrating for it.

You mentioned that you are 17 and have been thinking of running away for a year or two now. Running away is a big step and we are glad that you have reached out to us to discuss some of your options. We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline but, we can speak in general terms when it comes to running away at 17. Running away at 17 is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that if your parents were to file a runaway report and you were to be caught by the police, then you would be returned to your parents. However, 17 is a tricky age, and this means that it really depends on your local police department on how they are going to pursue it. Some police departments are more lenient than others when it comes to 17 year old runaways. This is why it is best to call your local police department and ask them in general terms how they would respond to a 17 year old runaway.

We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your options in further detail we encourage you to call us on our 24/7 hour hotline at 18007862929 or you can chat with us every day from 4:30pm-11:3pm CST at our website. We look forward to hearing from you.

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

If I call the police to ask that, won't they want to know why?

Comment

RE: RE: confused

Hello again,

It sounds like you’re not too comfortable with reaching out to the police on your own. You would like you can always call us to possibly talk about some options that might be able to ask the police. Such as asking them, “What is the age of majority” or “What constitutes as a runaway” just pretty vague questions that don’t require too much further explanation on your situation. Another option that you have is that you can always call us here and we can do a conference call with us and the police to help you guide you through the questions.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I called to local police department to ask about it, and they took my name and number. They said they would cal me back. Is this bad?

Comment

Re: confused

Hi again,

It's not necessarily a bad thing that they asked to call you back. Again, if you'd like to give us a call we can help you explore your options further or call the local police on your behalf. We hope to hear from you! 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X