Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 with mom problems and wan't to runaway....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 with mom problems and wan't to runaway....

Im 17 years old and i have few problems going on at home. My father passed away and ever since than my mother has changed. She's now engaged to my past dad best friend, I don't mind it but she treats me different. She would get him and my sister what ever they wanted but if i ask its always, "Go get a job and get it yourself", or "Why do you need that anyway?". She questions everything i do and I'm a good child. I've been trying to get a job but when i try she always says you don't need one I'll take care of you..It confuses me. Plus i have a boyfriend that I've been dating for almost two years and she has cut him off from me completely. We have to talk secretly because she says i worry about him to much and my grades pay for it. My GPA is a 3.0 I don't understand that. But she also keeps me trapped in the house. I'm like her living babysitter and maid. I don't get any time to be alone and its depressing. Id like to get out and do things but she doesn't allow me to. So in 4 weeks I plan to run off to another state and be happy. I have a place to go and I will be with someone i trust. Im just worried if the cops get to me I'll get into a lot of trouble.

Re: I'm 17 with mom problems and wan't to runaway....

Hello –

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a bit of your story. It sounds like you are in a really frustrating situation at home. You mentioned that things have been difficult between you and your mom even since your dad passed. We are sorry to hear you are going through all of this. Not only dealing with the loss of a parent but now feeling like you don’t have a support in your mom must be hard to deal with. Have you ever opened up to your mom about your frustrations and that you are thinking of leaving?

It sounds like you have made up your mind to leave and you do have a plan and a safe place to go which is great. It’s certainly important to take all of these things into consideration. It sounds like you are doing well in school, is that something you are planning on continuing if you do leave? It seems like the main concern is that you are still 17 and you don’t want to get into trouble with the police. 17 is a tricky age. In most states the age of majority is usually 18. So if you leave without permission it is possible your mom could make a runaway report. Usually if that happens and the police find you they are just required to return you back home. Sometimes it can be dependent on what city/state you leave from and how close you are to turning 18. The best way to get the most accurate information about what your local police would do is just to contact them on a non-emergency number and ask a few questions on if they take reports or make youth go back home who are 17. Keep in mind you can also contact us if you would like to discuss this situation more in depth. There is always someone here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X