Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and want to runaway until I'm 18.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and want to runaway until I'm 18.

I'm 17 and turn 18 in March. I live in IN, and my home situation isn't really going in a good direction.. my mom and my stepdad (at the time) split up in January my mom met her curent boyfriend online in OCTOBER of last year. I've lived here for 9 years now, my stepdad used to abuse me and my brother for about 5 years then when I turned like 13 years old he stopped then started back up a when I was 15. But he started with the emotional abd mental abuse along with the physical. My mom moved us to Virginia to live with her boyfriend that she met online, and things got bad there. His family (he lives with his mom) stopped buying us food, my mom only gets my fathers social security since he died years ago. So we don't get much to begin with. Her boyfriend was losing my mom and to get her back, he threatened to call the police on me for causing self harm to myself (I used to but hadn't for a while.) So my mom decided we were going to move back to Indiana, in with my sister. I'm trying to get a job now to save up and my mom hits me with different things.. we're moving Back To Virginia in December, WITH THAT BOYFRIEND. So I have to leave everything again. And then she told me that in a year when my brother turns 16 that we wont get the money from my dads social security. So we wont have any money coming in. I was going to leave when i turned 18 anyways but my mom told me that shes expecting me to now take care of her and my brother money wise. I asked her if she was joking and she told me no. Im a junior in High School, have a boyfriend that ive been with for 7 months.
    I do not want to leave. Shes making me feel suffocated, and I mean literally. Sometimes I get so depressed that I feel like I can't breath.. I just want it to end.
    My boyfriend is 19 now and will be 20 in January. Like I said before, I turn 18 in March. If I stayed with him until then and a little bit after that, will I be in a lot of trouble with the police still? I know my mom would call the cops on me so I know they'll be involved. He lives not even 20 minutes away from me so I'll be at his house. His mom also lives 3 hours away so we were thinking maybe there, as well. I've just been put through so much. Its getting to a point where I've even thought about suicide but a big part of me DOES NOT want to do that. I just want this to stop. I don't want to be around my mom at all. A little bit after I turn 18 I plan on getting in touch with my mom. I won't go back with her or anything but I just want to leave now.

re: I'm 17 and want to runaway until I'm 18.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you’re going through so much with your mom and your family. It sounds exhausting for you to keep up with your mom and what she wants. It can be very difficult to move back and forth. It also seems like you’ve been through a lot with your stepdad. We’re sorry to hear that you were hurt by him. You never deserve to be treated that way and it sounds like you know that. It seems like you’re looking for stability in your life, which makes so much sense. We’re glad that you reached out. So let’s see how we can help you out.

It sounds like you’ve taken some steps to convince your mom to let you stay with your boyfriend and to stay in IN. That’s great. And it sounds like you’re feeling trapped, so it’s understandable that you want to get out of there. You’re right that your mom has the right to file a runaway report with the police all the way until you turn 18. It’s not illegal for you to run, so you wouldn’t be arrested or put in jail, but you may be returned back home to your mom. Once you turn 18, the runaway report goes away and you gain legal responsibility for yourself and there would be no further legal consequences for being filed as a runaway.

One other support that might be helpful to you is the National Suicide Hotline. They might not be able to solve the problem that you are facing, but they could provide you with some support through this time. You can call them 24 hours a day at 1-800-273-8255. They have a lot of experience talking through what you might be feeling and be able to just be there for you to listen. Even if you aren’t feeling immediately suicidal, they can be a good resource.

If you want to talk through anything or have any other questions, please feel free to contact us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you aren’t able to call, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time
    We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X