• Show
Clear All

i want to run away because my parents are mean to but I'm scared

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We're glad you reached out to us. We'll try to help. It sounds like your parents are not supportive and you feel abused. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to stay with them. We are not legal experts but we know that running away is not a crime; it's a status offense. However, if your parents file a runaway report, the police might look for you and if they find you, they will most likely return you home.

If any abuse or harm is happening at home you have the right to report it. You might want to contact the Child Help Hotline at childhelp.org or call 1800-422-4453. They also have text services. You can also contact us on our safeline at 1800RUNAWAY to talk about the situation and see what options you might have. We are here 24/7 and are confidential.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I feel like i am a burden to my parents. They think i should be dead and i should not be in there life. It makes me want to run away too

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It seems like your parents are not aware of how their attitude is coming off and how hurtful it is. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I want to run away from home so badly. I’d rather stay with my aunt. My mother is bipolar and so is the rest of my family. Isn’t it true that your environment affects you? My mom always is angry about something. I don’t feel like I can even talk to anyone in my family if I’m ever depressed or feeling suicidal. If I talked to my mom about, she would get mad. I know this because my brother felt suicidal and she didn’t care. She said a few times to us all, “I feel like living on my own and leaving you guys behind!” Well why don’t I leave for her? This household will be fine without me. I’ve stayed somewhere else before employee monitoring software . But what I need right now is the courage to leave. I’m concerned about how I’m going to leave and when. Being around here at home isn’t the best for my mental health. And I’m 15.
    I understand you, this is very difficult ... my loved one also has bipolar disorder and she also says all sorts of unpleasant things, but I understand that this is all because of the illness, in fact, she thinks completely differently or simply cannot correctly formulate her own thoughts ... I try to accept it and rethink but it's hard for me too ...

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services. Our number is 800-RUNAWAY or you can chat with us at www.1800RUNAWAY.org.
      Thank you,
      NRS

I want to runaway but I’m 12 and I don’t have anywhere to go my parents put my grades before me and idk what to do I don’t want to make my parents sad but I also don’t want to keep getting stressed out so idk what to do cause I packed my stuff I I can commit to it

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your parents and grades. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I wanna runaway but I'm scared...I'm 12 (like 11 for the government or something) years old and transgender (ftm), this might sound stupid and fake coming out of a literal child but I just really need help because my parents are muslim and I've read several articles about lgbt in islam, it might lead to death...most likely not with my family right now because obviously it's illegal now, but I'm still sure they wouldn't accept me..I dont know where yo go if I run away and what do to I'm in so much pressure it really just makes me want to die, plus that I know running away can cause some really serious trouble so that's one of the things that are giving me anxiety.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thanks for reaching out today and sharing some of your story with us. It sounds like you’re dealing with so much at home. It sounds like you feel that your family is being very insensitive towards you, but not taking responsibility for how it hurts your feelings. You don’t deserve to be treated that way at all. You deserve to be celebrated and valued for who you are. It must be so frustrating that isn’t working out right now. You’re brave to reach out and think through what options are available to you. So let’s see how we can help you out.

Only you know yourself when it’s time to leave home due to it being an unsafe situation and it sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We can see if there are any resources in the area that you can reach out to for some more help. Another hotline you might also consider reaching out to is "LGBT National Youth Talkline" (800-246-7743 / https://www.glbthotline.org/talkline.html). They also provide a safe space that is anonymous and confidential to talk about whatever you need to talk about.

Best of luck and if you need us, please reach out via phone or online chat.

I want to run away but I am scared that my dad would find me and then ground me and I need to find the courage to do it I am only 8 but I know my dad would call me a disappointment

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there, and thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

Things must be pretty at tough at home for you to be thinking about running away, and we're sorry to hear that. Still, it's important for you to know that running away is a pretty big decision, and it's generally a good idea to have a plan in place before committing to it. Consider where you'll go, how you'll get there, and what you'll do to survive once you're there. It's also helpful to spend some time thinking about your safety and what steps you can take to try and safeguard that. It's important that you approach this time from a realistic standpoint and that you have some tough conversations with yourself about what you want, what makes the most sense to get you to that point, and if there are any other worthy options you might be able to consider along the way.

In your case, it might be helpful to try and really focus on your safety as you continue to think about leaving. You mentioned that you're worried about your dad finding you and grounding you, which is valid and can definitely be scary. On the other hand, running away and potentially living on the streets can be scary as well. If that's not something you've researched or given much thought to yet, we'd encourage you to do so. It can be easy to think that things might be better somewhere else, so it's a good idea to make an informed decision.

If you'd like to talk more about what's going on and continue to explore your options, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X