Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away, but I know it isn't viable

I am 18 years old.

I have depression and my parents find it hard to deal with me. A lot of my depression is related to them. They don't really help...

I don't know if I'm going to run away tomorrow or even soon, because I don't have any money or even a place to stay. I know this will cause a huge rift in my family but I'm finding it hard to live in my house now.

I guess I came here to find some guidance. Thank you.

RE: I want to run away, but I know it isnt viable

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. It sounds like there is a lot going on at home and your parents are not helping you through it. You deserve to be in a supportive environment.

We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, but we can speak in general terms. Generally, 18 is the age of majority in most states and so you are allowed to leave your parents’ home without their consent. To get better information about this, you should contact your local police department to find out what the age of majority is in your city/state.

You had mentioned that you are dealing with depression and we want to support you in any way we can. Some resources that may be helpful for you when you are starting to feel depressed is to call the National Suicide Hotline at 1800.273.TALK or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org for more resources on depression.

Running away is a big step and we think it is great that you are thinking ahead and trying to put together a plan. Figuring out how you will survive once you leave home is a big part of it. We want to encourage you to call us at our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929 or chat with us every day from 4:30-11:30 pm CST on our website. We hoped this helped and are looking forward to hearing from you. We wish you luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X