Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and I want to get emancipated.

My name is Wynnzdie, I'm 17 and currently going to school as a senior and I've been living with my dad and stepmom since I was 8 against my will. Ever since I was 8 I've been mentally abused by my dad and stepmom, they say they don't but I've been suicidal since I was 12, they tell me I'm making myself miserable by not wanting to live here. I have to share a room with my 16 year old sister, who also treats me like crap. I want to live with my mom but my dad won't let me and we've been to court about this but the judge said I couldn't live with my mom because I has recently gotten in trouble in her supervision, that was 4 years ago. Lately, my dad and stepmom have been super unfair with the way they've been treating me compared to my siblings, constantly telling me things to make me feel down. I want nothing more than to live with my mom, I would still be going to school and I have a job but I'm working on getting a different job. I saw online that in order to get emancipated you have to have both your parents consent but I know my dad won't give his consent. What can I do? Please, i can't take this anymore

Re: I'm 17 and I want to get emancipated.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a pretty hard time at home and we are sorry to hear about all of this. We are here to help you out the best that we can.

So it sounds like you live with your dad and your stepmom and siblings, and you have been experiencing verbal/mental abuse. No one deserves to be abused in any way. You said that all of this has caused you to become suicidal. How often do you think about ending your life? Is there anything specific that helps get you past these thoughts when you are having them? We want to provide you a very helpful resource, The National Suicide Hotline at (800) 273 8255. This line can be a great support to you any time you are feeling like you want to kill yourself, they are there to talk and support you just the way we are here at National Runaway Safeline at (800) 786 2929.

You said that you really want to live with your mom, and that you have gone to court before to make that happen but nothing changed. You said that there was something that happened 4 years ago that is still causing you not to be able to go back to your mom’s care. Is there anything more that your mom can do on your behalf, like going to court again or something of that matter? It has got to be really tough to feel stuck with your dad and stepmom when you really want to be with your mom. How have you been coping with all of this?

We are not legal experts here, so we really do not want to provide you wrong information. The little information that we can tell you right now about emancipation is that it can be a relatively long process, like up to 6 months sometimes. How soon are you turning 18? Here at National Runaway Safeline we have a large database of different resources. If you were to call our 24/7, anonymous and confidential hotline at 1800runaway, or chat us through our website at 1800runaway.org, we could look up legal resources and more information for emancipation for your area/state.

We are here to support you in any way that we can. If you would like to explore your options further, talk more about what’s been going on or would like specific resources for your area, please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    ccsmod14
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by ccsmod14; 10-11-2014, 05:37 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Im 16 and I want to get emancipated.
      I would like to keep my name anonymous, I am curently going to school. I live with my mom,dad,step-mom, and five other childern that ranges from ages 7 and 14 (im the oldest). I ran away aproximatley 5 months ago because was being verbally and sometimes physically abused. I was gone for a week then I had to come back so that I wouldnt get the person i was staying with into trouble. Now that im back things have gotten now better and I want to know if I can still get emancipated, and move back to home town with my family that treats me better, get a job, and a house of my own or stay with an aunt until i can do so.

Comment

I'm 17 and I want to get emancipated

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
        It sounds like you are still interested in being emancipated from your parents.
        Emancipation usually requires the cooperation of your parent or guardian signing documentation in the courts. Most states require the minor to show that they are in a position to support themselves independently. This may mean you have to show the court that you are working and have a checking or savings account with the courts minimum balance.

You may also have to show that you have housing where you pay rent.
        To find out more about emancipation laws in your state you might try searching for information about how to become emancipated in your state.
        Does that make sense?
        You are welcome to contact our 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) if you would like assistance in locating resources in your city and state.
        You can also visit www.1800Runaway.org for our live chat session.
        NRS live chat begins at 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST)

We appreciate you reaching out to NRS and wish you good luck.
        Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 15 but my birthday is in July. i want to get emancipated because im being verbally (and sometimes physically) abused by my stepmom and father. i cannot move with my mom because she physically abused me and i left in 8th grade. My parents went behind my back and switched my classes last year for this year (im a sophomore) and they put me in all AP classes. and im trying my hardest and pulling Dś and they took my door and my shoes that i bought with money from my grandparents. Any time i go on a walk or go to stay with a friend because me and my parents arent getting along they call the police. They wont allow me to get a job so i dont think i can be emancipated. but this is my only way to be successful in life with the way that they treat me.

Comment

RE: Re: I'm 17 and I want to get emancipated.

Thank you for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress right now. We are sorry to hear that you are being abused. Nobody deserves to be verbally or physically abused. It sounds like you have been through so much. You do not deserve to be treated badly. You should know that if you are being abused, you have a right to make an abuse report with the state. If you ever are thinking about this option, feel free to call us and we can help you decide if this is the best option for you. It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. In most cases, this means that you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. There is usually a minimum age requirement of 16 or 17 years old. It also helps to be in good standing at school. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. It sounds like you are really struggling with your classes right now. AP classes are really tough and it sounds really frustrating that your parents enrolled you in classes where you are struggling. One option could be to talk to your teachers or a guidance counselor about your class options to see if you can move to different classes next semester or get any extra help like tutoring through the school. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and you are always welcome to call or chat to talk through your situation in detail and come up with options and a plan to deal with your situation. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

My mom is emotionally abusive and I want out

Okay so first of all I'm a 15 year old girl and ever since I was little my mom has been emotionally abusive. She yells all the time even about little things. If something isn't PERFECT she gets stressed out and starts lashing out at me like its my fault. She is also aggressive but since I know how to defend myself and I've gone to CPS before she doesn't hit me anymore but when she loses control she goes all out and sometimes it leaves scratches or light bruises on my skin. She has mood swings and no matter what I say or do she's very hostile. Like once I said "good morning mom" and she replied with "OH MY GOD ****** FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE COULD YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?!" The other day she also told me to disappear. And those things really hurt me. Because of her I've been going through depression. I'm so stressed out living here with her because the smallest thing can lead to a rampage. I can't do it anymore but idk what to do. I have a stepdad that lives with us and he's AMAZING!! He's like a real dad to me and we are like best friends. I don't want to hurt him or anything. I was thinking that maybe I could talk to him about it and we could go to therapy or check if there's something wrong with my mom mentally but I know my mom wouldn't agree with that and she would just go ballistic on my stepdad. I was also thinking that maybe I could live with my dad in PuertoRico but he's always at work so I would be home alone and I'm sorta scared of that because of the high crime rates over there. He's also very angry person although he's better than my mom. He also doesn't hit and he's more open minded. But I don't want to be apart from my stepdad. So I was thinking about emancipation but I'm afraid that I won't be able to live on my own very well or that my parents won't sign the consent papers. I feel trapped and suffocated. I just wish my mom would abandon me. I mean what kind of person wishes that? She's done so much to me and I honestly think that she doesn't want to be a mother and that she feels trapped by me. If that's true I just wish she would leave us because I can't deal with her abuse anymore. I want to run away. What should I do? Am I just being dramatic? Am I making excuses up and putting myself in a corner? I'm so lost. Please help.
              ccsmod7
              Super Moderator
              Last edited by ccsmod7; 07-12-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your story and your thoughts with us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are going through emotional abuse at home. Your mom does not have the right to hurt you and you deserve to be treated with respect at home. It’s good to hear that you get along so well with your step-dad. It sounds like he is a big part of your support network. Your idea about talking with him about ways to make things better with your mom sounds like it could be a good place to start. Maybe by having a conversation with him about your concerns with your mom, he may think of ideas that you hadn’t thought of. Maybe he can help by communicating some of your concerns to her, bringing up the idea of going to family counseling to her, or by mediating a conversation between the two of you.

Reporting abuse is also an option. We know that this can be really intimidating and really difficult for a lot of people. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process.

Perhaps there is someone else you could turn to for help. You mentioned your dad as someone you could potentially live with. Is there another family member of someone you and your mom both trust who could intervene or who you could stay with temporarily? Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially. Emancipation can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We hope this information is helpful and that you contact us if you want to continue talking about your situation. We’re here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Stay strong,
                NRS

Comment

im 17 turning 18 in two months and i want to leave my dads house what do i do

I'm 17 and I can't take being at my dads anymore I was just recently given back to him by the court from foster care and I ccant take being here. Anymore I don't get to be talked to d its horrible everyone ignores me and I am being hurt emotionally I need help

Comment

Re: im 17 turning 18 in two months and i want to leave my dads house what do i do

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a tough time at home with your dad and you are looking to get out. We’re glad that you reached out, we’re here to help you in any way that we can.

It sounds like you recently got out of foster care and were placed back with your dad. It sounds like you are ignored at home which has to be a tough thing to experience. You deserve to be responded to and feel comfortable in your own home. It’s brave of you to reach out and speak about what’s been going on. One option may be to speak with a case worker or counselor about this, or another neutral third party that may be able to mediate a conversation between you and your dad about how you’re feeling. We offer conference calling here at NRS, so if you call us at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929) we could potentially act as a facilitator to mediate a call between the two of you.

We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if you leave without permission from legal guardians before the age of 18, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they typically would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring.

We’re here to listen and here to help you the best that we can. Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us, there’s always someone here- we’re available 24/7.

Stay safe,
                    NRS

Comment

I need help

I have been adoptive for almost seven years and the way my adoptive mom is abusive is insane last night I came home and she went ballistic on me now this morning she told me she is gunna make me quit my job I can't take this anymore honestly I'm so emotionally drained by her and I'm only 17 . My goal is to get emancipated and leave because I literally have dealt with this for over 6 years and my adoptive dad is a drunk and always makes harsh comments . I just need help

Comment

RE: I need help

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. We are very sorry to hear about your situation. You do not deserve to be abused in any way, and it sounds like you have been dealing with abuse from your adopted family for many years. It is understandable that you would want to get emancipated. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. If it does not sound like emancipation is the right option for you, we can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

I am 15 and i NEED to get emancipated. I live in Maryland and my mother is emotionally and sometimes physically abusive. My dad tries to help sometimes but also joins in and so does my two sisters. I have friends here who support me and say i could live with them but i have no job and i KNOW my parents would not give permission for me to emancipate myself. My whole family is also moving to north carolina in december and i absolutley cannot go with them and if i cant get emancipated i am going to run away. please help.

Comment

• ccsmod11
                            ccsmod11
                            Super Moderator
                            ccsmod11 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi there,
                            Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time at home and we hope that we can give you some resources that will help you out.

Firstly, we want to let you know that abuse of any sort is never okay. You deserve to feel safe and loved at home, and we want you to feel like you have some resources to use if your experiences with abuse becomes something that you want to talk about. We at the NRS are certainly able to provide you with emotional support if you need space to process what has happened to you. You can call us and explain your story, and one of our liners can assist you. There is also ChildHelp, which is a national child abuse hotline. They are staffed 24/7, and provide confidential services such as crisis intervention, information, and referrals to social service agencies. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453, or visit their website: childhelp.org. Hopefully either NRS or ChildHelp can help you cope with these difficult experiences. We also want to remind you that if you ever feel that you are in immediate danger, that you should call 911.

You mention that you want to become emancipated. Emancipation is often a viable option for many youth, but since it is a legal process, it does often take many months to become fully emancipated. Also, it does involve navigating the court systems. This is not to discourage you from seeking emancipation, but to make you aware. Maryland has no formalized process for seeking emancipation. However, for a minor to seek emancipation in Maryland, they must prove that they are financially independent. In Maryland, you can call 1-800-845-8550 to receive more information on commencing the emancipation process. You also can visit mdlab.org to receive phone numbers for legal aid services near where you live. Hopefully these resources provide a good starting point for emancipation. Because you said that you would run away if you could not be emancipated, we would just want you to know that running away itself is a status offense, and not a criminal offense. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you would ever be detained or arrested for running away. Whomever you stay with while you’re a runaway, however, can be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a criminal offense. Because we are not legal experts however, the ways that the laws are written and enforced may be different in your state.
                            Again, thanks so much for reaching out to us in a time of great difficulty. We really appreciate the bravery necessary to do that, and we wish you only the best of luck.

I am 16, turning 17 in March. I want to get emancipated and I am not sure if you will be able to help me; however, I figured it was worth a shot.

Under NRS Section 129.080, it states:

NRS 129.080  Minor may petition juvenile court for decree of emancipation; reference to master.  Any minor who is at least 16 years of age, who is married or living apart from his or her parents or legal guardian, and who is a resident of the county, may petition the juvenile court of that county for a decree of emancipation. The district court may refer the petition to a master appointed pursuant to title 5 of NRS or chapter 432B of NRS.

This is confusing to me Because the second requirement of " who is married or living apart from his or her parents or legal guardian" leaves me with a question.

I am 16, as I said before. However, I cannot get married without parental consent and if my parents were willing to give me that consent i would not be having this issue and i would have left already due to family issues and other things that are causing my need to leave. I also, live with my biological mother(has soul physical custody but she gets money from my adoptive father) and stepfather with no rights to me whatsoever.
                          So here are my questions:
                          if I am not married, and currently living with them can i still file a petition of emancipation?
                          And
                          If i serve them the papers for emancipation and walk out, is it considered running away?

Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                            ccsmod5
                            Super Moderator
                            ccsmod5 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi there,
                            Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a hard time at home. We are glad that you decided to reach out to us in this hard time.
                            It seems like you are planning to leave home and live independently. Leaving home can be hard in many situations and you might want to think about where you might live, and how you might pay for food and other living expenses. It can be helpful to calculate if your earnings might be able to cover your monthly living expenses. While we are not legal experts speaking generally emancipation is a process which you need to qualify for and you will need to go through the court system which can take time. Just speaking generally until you are declared emancipated and are under 18 and you are to leave without your parents’ permission the police can bring you back if a runaway report if filed. Also whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runway. In many states you might be considered an adult at 17 and could leave home without your parents’ permission. The best way to find out what might happen in this is to call the local police department at their non-emergency number. If you call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we would be happy to look up that number for you, explore your options and provide any resources.
                            All of this can be confusing. You are not alone. We are here to help you through this process. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best
                            NRS

i am 16 and would like to keep my name anonymous,
                          i HATE living with my mom and stepdad. they constantly put me down and constantly go off on me for random reasons. they have a parental control management thing on my phone to where i cant have any apps at all besides texting and calling. they always yell at me even when i do nothing wrong. i'm in cheer and they gave me a 5 strike thing and i have 4 for the stupidest reasons on this planet. they told me that is have and option and that is that i can write a 500 word essay over why i should stay in cheer and not drop out (after i have already paid a $400 for it) and if i choose not to write it, it will give me my 5th strike. my mom always makes sure to remind me that i think i am entitled and that i want everything in the world to revolve around me. for example before i got my license i was constantly told that i have to ask them for a ride not just tell them i am ready even though i had no other way of transportation. she would yell at me that i am not entitled to a car ride and that she will not take me unless i ask like a proper human. she will tell me that i don't listen, have common sense, i don't try enough, i'm conceited, inconsiderate, and so much more and all it does it put me down emotionally. i cant stand to be around this environment anymore. in 7th grade i told my concealer i wanted to kill my self and that i hated my life and when my mom found out she went ballistic on me saying she was going to have me locked up in a mental institute. yet when my sister felt the same way she got her a therapist immediately after finding out and was with her every step of the way. and my stepdad is just a jerk to me and he is always rude and has an attitude with me but as soon as he is in front of my mom he pretends like he is joking. i cant live with my dad though because he is on drugs and he is selling them as well. i cant take it anymore and i just want it to be over. i want everything to be over.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X