Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run away somehow..?

I'm twelve years old and already thinking of living with my best friend. My best friend and her family cares about me very much. My mom is an alchohoic, and my dad is very negative and yells at me a lot which makes me stressed. My mom has been an alcoholic for years, she doesn't abuse me or anything but she drinks alcohol like almost every day, which isn't healthy for her, me or my dad. But my parents haven't gotten divorced yet, which I'm suprised about. So Im wondering if they did, would I have to live with one of them or could I live with someone completely different? Because I can't live with just one of them. My mom wouldn't be able to take care of me properly, and my dad would make me stressed 24/7. So if they divorce I'd rather be with neither of them and being able to live with my friend and her family. But I don't think my parents are going to get divorced, I wish they would because I think it would be better for everyone. So instead I'm thinking of running away, but the thing is my friend's house is only like a block away from mine, and we go to the same school and everything, so my parents would find me easily. I thought maybe I could fake my death so my parents wouldn't look for me, another idea I had. Is there any possible way I can get away from my family and home situation and be with my best friend?

RE: Can I runaway somehow..?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about your story with us. It sounds like there is a lot going on at home. It must be difficult to constantly hear your parents yelling at each other. It does sound very stressful for you.

Running away is a big step and we think that it is great that you are trying to put a plan together. Unfortunately, you are currently 12 so running away now, you would be considered a runway. If you were to runaway to your friend’s house and were found, which you said is a possibility because you still want to go to school and she lives a block away, your parents would have an option to charge her family with harboring a runaway. The act of running away is not a criminal offense, however it is a status offense. This means that if your parents were to file a runaway report and the police were to find you, you would not be arrested but would be brought back to your parents.

I hope that this helped and if you would like to talk about your situation in more detail, please feel free to call us at 18007862929 or chat with us on our website from 4:30-11:30pm CST. We look forward to hearing from you.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X