X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things at home, especially between your mother and her boyfriend can get pretty intense. Feeling safe where we live is important, and we're sorry to hear that you don't feel that way at home.

Running away is a pretty big decision, and it's generally a good idea to have a plan in place before committing to it, which it seems like you're trying to do now. It's great that staying with your grandma might be an option, though it's important to consider a few things before going that route. If you decide to runaway and stay with your grandma without consent from your mother, it's possible that your grandma could get into legal trouble for allowing you to stay with her. Before you decide to take that step, making sure that you and grandma have a solid understanding of how those laws work in your state is probably a good idea. You might be able to work through this situation by having a conversation with mom and seeing if she'll give you permission to stay with your grandma. If the laws in your state are unclear, consider consulting with an attorney to determine appropriate (and safe) next steps.

Because you've described living in an environment that sounds pretty traumatic due to alcohol use, it might be a good idea to reach out to Child Protective Services (CPS) to file an abuse report. Their job is to ensure that you're safe in your home, and if you're not, to decide what steps should be taken in order to make sure that you are. If this is something that you're interested in doing, you can file a report on your own, by contacting us here at NRS for support, or by telling a safe person more about what's going on (like a teacher, school counselor, therapist, etc.). Each person that I've listed is considered a Mandated Reporter and has a legal obligation to contact CPS when there are any suspicions or indications of abuse. We understand that moving forward in this process can be scary, but want you to know that your safety and wellbeing is important. These are folks who will prioritize that. If you have any questions about filing a report, what it entails, or would like to learn more about the different forms of abuse in general, Childhelp is another great resource to utilize. They're a child abuse hotline and you can reach out to them by texting or calling 1-800-422-4453, or by chatting with them live at www.childhelp.org. One additional resource that might be helpful is the National Association for Children of Addiction (NACoA) who work with young folks with parents who are addicts. You can reach out to them by calling 1-888-425-2666.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on or continue to explore some of your options with us, please feel free to reach out directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live through our website at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Guest replied
    Hello, I am about to turn 12 and I have been thinking about running away from home. I feel unsafe here and most of my anxiety attacks have been caused by my mother and her boyfriend. They yell and scream whenever I make a mistake. I know I may be young, but I do indeed feel safer at my grandmothers, and I am thinking on running away. They also come home drunk and yell and argue with each other, which causes me more trauma since they do throw glass bottles and throw stuff around. It has gotten to extreme extent at times where one would come out scratched up or bleeding. I am not sure if I have much of a valid reason to run away. But I have a plan to the extent of me not being able to get caught running away.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your situation with us here at NRS. It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of stress at home and it is normal to feel overwhelmed by that. Using NRS as a safe space to vent and let those feelings out was a really good step. You mentioned that your grandparents have also been supportive in the past and have been trying to help mediate conversations between you and your mother. It must be very frustrating you are not able to talk to them at the moment, but they do seem to care a lot about you and your safety. You deserve to be getting the support that you need to feel safe. Perhaps a helpful strategy could be to write out your feelings as an outlet. It can be a way to avoid keeping everything bottled up but it also gives you an opportunity to process your feelings before sharing them with your mom.

Additionally, you can chat with a counselor anytime at suicidepreventionlifeline.org. This is a resource available to you 24/7 as an outlet for your emotions and safe space to brainstorm coping strategies to use when home is getting overwhelming.

We are here to support you 24/7 if you ever want to talk more about your situation and explore options for getting more support at home. We can best help by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    Hi i'm a 13yrs old male and i have been thinking abut three things Suicide, Running away, and the worst Killing my mom and her boyfriend. Okay so 4 months back my mom introduce her boyfriend i didn't care i didn't have a lot of friends so i used gaming and social media for them but my mom is annoying and caused me a lot of anxiety, so i stayed up one night IN SUMMER so i got on punishment by her boyfriend that i legit just meet 2 weeks ago that practically live with us and i was like OK i can get of punishment in a week like usual but that didn't happen of course but this is where everything falls apart so i have a big issue of bottling up my feeling and leaving them for ammo so last year i exploded and that got my but to a one way ticket to MH or "Mental Hospital" so this time it was about suicide i just straight up tackled my mom out of peer pressure and exploded but here comes the BAD part last month i forgot to do something (ADHD) so can't watch no TV after school PLUS THE BOYFRIEND SAID THAT!, so i was like ok so i can watch TV during lunch so i'm watching TV here the bf he starts yelling at me see when i get mad i cry because either that i'm sparing your life or i'm in a rage so while he is yelling i'm on the phone with grandma after he stops yelling i'm in Terminator mode and i say to my grandma "i'm killing them both" BUT~ grandma said no and she said we are coming to talk to mom in a nice and PEACEFUL way (btw my mom sat there listen to him yell that's why i said "i'm killing them both") they come i take my dog out the BF comes out with me then he starts talking smack and my grandma don't play that (did i tell you i'm black) so nana aka grandma explodes my papa aka grandpa tried to go upstairs but BF blocked them but made them more made and you can see where this went and the only two people that helped me relaxed can't talk to but i have a therapist but its wired The End. (my mom said i need to say my felling so i don't explode but they are about her so that's why i said the only two people and i cant even do that BC)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. You do not deserve to be emotionally abused and it's understandable you would want to get away from that. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel supported.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on this. It sounds like your mom is your legal guardian and she is responsible for you until she turns 18. This means your mom is in control of where you live and not your grandmother. If your mom gives you permission to live somewhere else then you would not be considered a runaway. Now, your grandmother can attempt to call police and report you as a runaway. We can't say for sure exactly how police might respond to this.Ultimately, the decision to have police return you home or not would be up to your mother as your legal guardian.

We hope this information helps. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi i am 15 about to turn 16 in August i live in Texas and i want to leave because they're (my grandparents) verbally and mentally abusive. My mom and i live with my grandparents but my grandparents have no legal rights over me and my mom said if i left she wouldn't stop me but ik my grandma would call the police. But couldn't she really do anything about it, would they take her call?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    We're sorry you (assuming you are the teen) aren't getting along with your parent right now and are having some anxiety. To answer your question directly, if you have permission to stay the night or even live with you grandparent, no one would get into any legal trouble. It gets more complicated if you don't have permission to leave. Your parent can file a runaway report and anyone you stay with could be accused by your parent of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions. By the way, running away isn't a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If found, the police would likely bring you back home.

We'd like to help further but would need some more information from you to help. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. Our chatroom and phone lines are open 24/7 and we are a confidential, safe place to talk about what you're going through. We also have a large database of resources that we might be able to connect you with: things like shelters, counselors, legal aid, and the like.

We hope to hear from you soon. Please stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    Teen not getting along with parent. teen can’t have a civil conversation with parent without parent getting agitated. Teen experiencing a lot of anxiety have been coming to spend night with grandparent. I don’t want to get in to any legal trouble. What can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: So I want to leave my house

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not experts on the law but general information is that your parent's must give consent or there must be a legal transference of custody through court in order for you to move out of your parent's home.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So I want to leave my house for various reasons but mainly because my dad treats me like less then a person. I am the youngest of 5 siblings and 2 of them moved into my grandmas because they had issues with there parents. My grandmas told me I could stay there but at the same time I am scared my moms gonna call the cops. I live in Colorado i don’t know the laws on if my grandma can take care of me but I just need to get out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your sisters have no right to hurt you like that and your parents should be supporting you, not making you feel bad. No matter your gender, you are allowed to express your feelings and emotions and be true to who you are.
    Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you have previously had thoughts of suicide. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i'm 12 years old.d

i have thought about running away multiple times but i have never done it. i have a bad relationship with my family. my sisters hit me because they think its funny. i went though an about a 7 month depression phase last year and wanted to kill myself everyday. i have started to go through the phase again and i wondering if i should leave. my grandparents are very loving and understanding and i feel that they would understand. i'm not sure if my parents would like it but i'm miserable at home. i try to make it go away by pushing my feelings down because of all the peer pressure at home. i get teased, bullied and not taken seriously because i am a kid and i am a boy. they think in have to be a person that is different to who i am. they are always putting me down for their enjoyment. it makes my cry at night and be down the whole day. i have been taught that a boy cannot show feelings and they shouldn't care about anything. i get so mad when they say things like this but when i try to say something they just laugh at me or don't listen.
    i'm not sure but i think i will do it. i am not physically abused at home but i feel terrible everyday because of them.
    should i run away to my grandparents or not. i really don't know.
    please help me and respond as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I'm 12 years old

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We are sorry you are being punished out of your sister’s behavior.
    It sounds like you have had a number of issues between you and she.
    Perhaps you might consider talking with your grandmother and explaining what has been going on at home and how frustrating it has been for you.
    Perhaps she might even try and help by talking with your dad about the idea of staying with her. It sounds like you would just like to be treated fairly at home.
    Having someone to listen and understand would probably be nice.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 12 years old and the reason why I want to live with my grandma is because tonight my sister was yelling at me because I wouldn't share my cover with her so I got mad but I didn't do anything. So then she went to go tell my dad and he hite with a belt and I had two bruises. But it went away. So Everytime my sister's do something to me I always get in trouble for it. Do you think you can give advice and you can talk to DCF and help me get custody to live with my grandma? PLEASE!!!!!!!!! YALL MY ONLY HOPE!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hello there,
    Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline today. We’re so sorry you’re being punished at home for things that you shouldn’t be punished for. That sounds really frustrating.
    We’re not legal experts here. If your grandparents have custody, you may need their permission to live with your mom. It might be helpful to talk to your mom about wanting to live with her and maybe she can help you talk to your grandparents about moving. If you left and lived with her without their permission (granted, if they have custody), your grandparents could call the police and report you as a runaway. If you are found at anyone’s house that isn’t your legal guardian, they might be charged with “harboring a runaway” and you could be returned home.
    If you have more questions are wanted to talk to someone about this issue in more detail, please give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re 24/7 and confidential, we’d love to hear from you!
    Stay strong,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X