• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Re: verbal abuse

Hello,

We're glad you decided to reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot with your mom and had a lot to get off your chest. We are here to listen and provide support to the best of your ability. It sounds like your mother is very religious and at the same time gets physical with you and your brother. Neither of you deserve to be hit even if it doesn't leave a mark or hurt too much. If you feel unsafe at your home, you do have the right to speak up. If you are interested in trying to file an abuse report, we can help you through that option. For more information on abuse, feel free to visit Child Help of America's website: http://www.childhelp.org/.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: http://www.nrschat.org:88/chat/UserP...&d=&u=&bypass=

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic verbal abuse

verbal abuse

Hello. Thank you for seeing this message. I am 13 years old, and I will be 14 in November. On Sunday my mother exploded at me on the way and after church. It started on the drive to church at about 11 A.M., when I was talking with my mother. I said that I didn't want to go to the Senior Banquet, an annual event that celebrates the high school seniors as they move up to collee and out of the youth ministry. She said that I had to go. She said I had no choice and that I had to listen to her. Before the situation could escalate, we made it to church. I sat away from my mother, who is in the youth ministry for my brother who is severly autistic and cannot keep track of himself very well. After the sermon was over, my mother grabbed/hugged me really tight. I told her to please not touch me because I was still a little upset, and the strength of her grip ws slightly painful. She stared at me for a moment, and then dragged me outside onto the front of the church. She started saying that she could touch me if she wanted to, because she was my mother and that I had no say in what I wanted. At this point I was very upset and nervous. Her wording and tone of voice was unnerving. My father pulled up in front of the church to pick us up, and she pulled me into the car. I had to sit next to her because my brother was sitting in the passenger seat. Now that the audience had been reduced to my family, she started saying what she wanted in an even louder tone of voice. She said that things would be better if I listened to her, that she didn't understand why I was so stubborn, etc. She asked me if I enjoyed being like this. When I told her that telling her what I felt was better than lying, she started screaming. At this point, we had stopped in a parking lot because my father had to get something from a store, and my brother went worh him, so I was alone in the car next to my mother. She said that I can go and ruin my life if I wanted to. She said that I didn't have to go to church if I hated God because I didn't want to participate. She said that I could abandon the family because I was so stubborn, and how could I be so horrible when she was so nice to m. I started crying, and she screamed at me to stop, and when I couldn't, she shouted that I was overreacting. As soon as he rest of my family came back into the car, she stopped.She said, quietly, that I will go to the Banquet and sign up for the leadership program. I complied. Afterwards, when she picked me up, it was like the entire day had never happened. She was all cheerful and like her normal self. It kind of freaked me out.

This kind of thing happens a lot. I'll disagree with her, or forget something, and she'll flip completely off the handle. She once tried to disown me when I forgot to say 'good morning' to her. She'll explode into fits of rage, and sometimes, I'm legitimately afraid that she'll hurt me-badly. She often treats my brother the same way, even though he's two years younger than me and doesn't even know what he does wrong.If my mother is having a bad day, she sometimes hits my brother. Not enough to leave a mark or hurt too much, but enough to make me scared because I know she hits only him because he can't speak. If she hit me, I would tell. He can't, and she uses that to her advantage. Every time I disobey her, she comes at me with Bible verses and ranting about how I should just follow the rules. She comes into my room in the middle of the night sometimes to make sure I'm not reading books she doesn't approve of, or doing anything she doesn't personally approve of. She's a real Jesus freak.

Oh, god, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'll stop here. If you want me to continue I will. I'm sorry if this was awkwardly worded and too long.

-(name edited to preserve confidentiality.)
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X