Need to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to move out

My sister & I currently stay with my mom, her boyfriend & his 3 kids. I'm 16 & my sister is 21. My mom treats her boyfriend & his kids way better than us & talks to us very disrespectful. After constantly fighting with my mom, my sister decided to move back to Las Vegas & be roommates with her friend. I don't think it's fair that my sister gets to leave & I would have to stay & be miserable. My sister's friend said I'm more than welcome to stay with them but I need my mom's permission. I need help convincing her to let me leave. I don't want to be here anymore & I just can't take it. I'm currently employed & in school but I can easily find a job in Vegas. I feel like with me & my sister having a job we can take care of ourselves. I'm really ready to leave & I'll do anything it takes. How should I approach my mom about it?

RE: Need to move out

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your living situation, especially your relationship with your mom, is really difficult for you. We're sorry to hear that you're going through this.

It sounds like you're determined to move out. You sound like you have thought this through in terms of continuing your education and finding another job if you do leave. While we don't give advice here, we can help you brainstorm some ways to approach your mother to get her permission to leave. You know your mother best, so you may know which manner will work best for your relationship with her. Do you think she would like to be approached individually, or would you (or her) prefer to discuss this with someone else as well? One option is to ask your sister to help approach your mother. Another option that might interest you is to use our conference call service. Through conference calling, you can call in to NRS whenever you and your mom are available, and a liner from NRS can mediate a call between you and your mom regarding moving out. We can't convince your mom for you, but we are here to support you in bringing up the topic if you'd like.

If you'd like to discuss this further, you are free to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available 24/7 on our anonymous and confidential Safeline. You can also chat with us from 4:30 to 11:30 pm Central time by going to www.1800runaway.org and clicking the red live chat button. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X