Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hey, I don't want to live with my parents anymore...my parents just recently got back together and I hate it! They split up me and my mom was unhappy and my dad threw huge fits and broke things, screamed, threw his hands up in the air and everything.. they'veven been on and off for about a year but this is for good now.. my mom said he has changed for real this time. But he hasnt. He treats her different but no one else. One time he changed me down the road screaming at me. Also he broke my phone. Thereso more but it would be a long list. I'm very unhappy. The day my mom told me there getting back together we got in a huge fight and she slapped me and called me a b word and other names. I hate it. I want to live somewhere else but she won't let me. She said if I leave she'll call the cops. What do I do. How can I get out of this house and live somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home with your mom. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. As you know or have thought about that, you do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Your mom is responsible for you until you are 18 and can be seen as a form of neglect and you also can call out to the police if she ever tries to kick you out. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

It sounds like you are doing your best to be who you are and support you mother through a tough time, while also trying to become independent. It sounds a little bit overwhelming. It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs of to your parents.

You mentioned that you suffer from depression and have had attempted suicide before in the past but are still contemplating because there isn’t a lot of home. You can look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

If it ever gets to a point where she does decide to kick you out and you don’t want to involve anyone, you can reach out to us and we can provide shelter resources or local resources that may be able to help you through. We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.
    -NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 years old, my mom raised me since my dad walked out on us. She wasnalways so mean and strict though never really let me do anything. My mom is my biggest bully and the person who most brings me down. She doesn't care about me, doesnt try help me find a way to get to school (which I've been missing for a couple days now cause I have no way to get there) Ofcourse I could always walk but she expects me to talk my brother to his school every morning and if I don't get him to school or he gets there late she tells me to pack my things and leave. my mom's kicked me out before and I did it on my own for about 5 months i rented a room at a house very close to my job which was convenient cause I could just walk there and back. My mom got this apartment which is expensive for her to pay on her own so after months of not talking to me she looked for me and asked me to move in with her. she says it was a way for her to give me a second chance but in reality it's the other way around. I left that room I was renting for 150 a month to help my mom out so she wouldn't struggle and now she makes me pay 250 a month. I had a job I knew I could pay what she was asking me to and I thought maybe it's be a second Chance at me and her fixing our relationship but I was wrong not only does she not take me to school but she stopped taking me to work told me to find my own ride and I didn't in cause of that they cut my hours. She promised shed take me the days they gave me to work if I gave her gas money and I did as she asked but she stopped taking me anyways and in result of that I lost my job. I don't blame me losing my job on her but she has a part in it too. You'd think she'd have a little consideration for me but she doesn't, she still nags at me about the rent money. I'm afraid of getting kicked out and having nowhere to go. the little I had saved up I gave to her so she wouldn't struggle so much. I have 0 dollars to my name right now and if she were to I wouldn't even have money for food. It stresses me out that I try do so much for her and she finds a way to screw me over everytime. At times I've even thought of calling cps on her. What is she doing for me besides acting like a wicked step mom from a cinderella movie. she doesn't realize everything I lost just to come and give her a hand. I suffer from depression and have attempted suicide in the past. all these things going on in my life right now I have nothing for me going andni want to believe everyone gets put on this earth for a reason but what can be my reason if all I do is make mistakes. I wanna live and fight and prove my mom wrong prove to her I'm not a worthless piece of ******** like she says I am. it's not easy though and she's making sure she makes it harder day by day. I don't wanna coming suicide but how can I not when I have nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that you just want to do what is best for you and your baby and that it can be hard to reach out. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your mom files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your boyfriend or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. Some other options would be to get permission to leave or to follow other paths like emancipation. If you want a liner to help you have that conversation with your mom, think of possible adults that you trust that could advocate for you or to get general information on emancipation, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7.

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im 16 bout to be 17 in 4 months, i have a my daughter shes just turned 2 months and i cant be staying with my mom anymore im tired of her always telling me things like im a bad mom and stuff she screams at me in front of my baby and i dont want my baby to see all that my boyfrie.d tells me to move out and go live with him should i go or what i dont know what to do i hate being with my mom i just want the best for me and my babygirl

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor and you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It can be difficult to have a conversation with your parents if you feel that they are unwilling to engage with you or hear your concerns because of religion and other factors. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to your parents so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, other family member, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with them about the possibility of you being able to wear different clothes and leave the house more. It shows how compassionate you are that you care about how talking to them could affect the family, but you also have the right to be happy and get the support you need with your depression. We can also try to help you have that conversation with them to get mental health resources.

Let us know how we can best help and if any of the options above sound like they could help.

Stay safe,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My parents are nice and good sometimes tho I'm a Muslim yeah ik I have to keep my religion but I'm not allowed to even wear a hoodie and jeans its always baggy dresses or skirts I have to stick to I don't feel comfortable I'm going through depression i feel ugly and horrible in these cloths my parents don't let me go anywhere no sleepovers and I'm not allowed to have friends once i came home at 5:30 at home from school cause my instrument was at a friend's house my parents got mad hit me and told me to leave I was left crying in the back yard there good parents who do good things if I fallow the rules but I don't wanna feel uncomfortable fallowing a life I hate wearing clothes that make me sad about myself I'm scared of i reach out there other kids might get taken away I'll be a shame to my family there good parents but I can't take this anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there thanks for reaching out.

Sounds like you are going through so much right now at home and you mentioned having suicidal thoughts everyday. Those feelings are significant and you deserve to be supported during this difficult. Please know you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you ever want to talk through how you are feeling. You might also reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Please call 911 if you feel like you are in immediate danger.

It's understandable that you are not looking for advice, rather a housing resource. We cannot give local youth shelters out on our public forum for safety concerns so please call, chat, or email us for local referrals. If you call us, we can help call out to agencies with you if you would like.

We look forward to hearing from you so we can best help with shelter resources!

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 years old and I live with my dad and my step mother. Honestly every single day of my life I live with a suicidal thought in my head. My dad alone is so freaking annoying. He does nothing for me, doesn’t give me money to go to school, wash clothes literally nothing. I have a job, have perfect grades and always stay home. And he still doesn’t let me go outside with my friends, every time I ask him to go out it’s always something that he brings up to not let me go. And my step mother is really the fakes person I have ever met. She acts like the sweetest angel ever and all of the sudden my dad is telling me how I’m missbahavin, swearing and all type of ******** that she tells him like why is she lying for. And she treats her siblings way better than she treats me. Please don’t give me no type of advice because I’m sick and tired of living in this house, I live in NYC please provide me with information where I can go to and stay there because I do not wanna live in here no more.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal or courage to seek help. We are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure whether or not you they wont bother you if you tell the police where you are. One way of finding out for sure is to contact your local police through their non emergency phone number, and ask about their runaway policy. If you don't feel comfortable calling the police, we could contact them for you. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to move in with your grandparents. If you decide to leave home without permission, your family has a right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away is not illegal, it is a status offense which is something you aren't supposed to do because you are a minor. If you were to just pack your things and stay with your grandparents, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Guest replied
    i heard that i can contact the sherifs office and tell them where they can contact me if i decide to just move out without my parents permission and they won't bother me. is that true? and can i just pack up my necessities and go live w/ my grandparents?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, it looks like you've communicated with us through another one of our platforms (chat, email, etc). We will respond to your situation through that platform. Thank you, stay safe!

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 year old freshman my parents found out I smoke weed and I told them I’m not going to stop I’m in Illinois it’s literally about to be legal I don’t understand what the problem is smoking a lil weed with my freinds but now it’s different my dad comes in my room to see if I’m vaping or smoking constantly checks my pockets and room every day I leave he checks my room and goes outside and checks for bongs in the bushes it’s gone to the point where my mom won’t let me go anywhere and I’m never allowed to sleep over at a freinds I’m in HIGHSCHOOL can they legally stop me from leaving they also took all my money so I have no choice but to take money from them and hustle for money by selling my belongings, I’m also addicted to nicotine so I never stop vaping they smell it and do a full search through the house they constantly find weed and want to send me to rehab for weed that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard in my life rehab.... for weed, you can’t be addicted to weed physically however there is physical addiction which I don’t have I try to tell them I’m not addicted to weed I just like smoking it once a week to destress my mom also baught a breathalyzer and drug tests me a lot which I always fail. But what really bugs me is not being allowed to leave to go anywhere I can’t hang out with anyone they have isolated me which is hard because I’m very popular in school they also took my Xbox away and moniter my phone with a app that’s shows everything so I personally baught a second phone they don’t know about it..... I’m at a breaking point I love my freinds more than my family that’s hard to say my dad also addresses me as “stoner” I hate it. They say they are worried but all they wanna do is get me in trouble. I have nothing to do but watch videos on my phone I have no where to stay and I want to die sometimes. My friends are my family think about it like this your stuck with people you hate and aren’t aloweed to see people that understand you closely I hate it

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hey,
    Thanks so much for writing in. It sounds like you’re in an incredibly frustrating situation. It sounds like your father doesn’t give you a lot of freedom and that he’s constantly looking for ways to yell at you. We can imagine that gets very stressful for you and it makes sense that you would want to think about other options. You deserve to be in a home that is loving, safe, and supportive, and we’re so sorry to hear that your family isn’t able to provide that for you right now. While we are not legal experts, we can give you some general information and hopefully provide you with some options.
    You mention that you’ve been feeling depressed, which isn’t “like you” at all. We want you to know that it’s okay to feel however you do and that it’s normal to experience periods of depression. An option you might consider is talking to a therapist or a guidance counselor about how you’ve been feeling lately. They may be able to listen and support you, as well as give you some strategies for navigating your relationship with your dad. Everyone deserves the opportunity to feel heard, respected, and supported; even if you’re not getting this from your family, talking to someone like a therapist or a guidance counselor can help with feelings of depression. It sounds like you have tried to talk to your dad about how all of his strictness affects you, which shows an incredible amount of thoughtfulness and maturity. It’s unfortunate that he’s not responsive this, but could be helpful to have another adult there to keep the conversation calm and fair. That could be a guidance counselor, therapist, or any other adult that you trust. Here at NRS, we are also able to facilitate a conference call and advocate for you to your parents as well.
    You mention that you’re planning on running away. It can be helpful to have some information about runaway laws. So generally speaking, you would need parental consent to leave home. If you leave without your parent’s permission, they would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you, then they would return you home. Running away is not a crime punishable by going to jail; it is considered a “status offense,” and usually there are no legal consequences. We cannot speak to what consequences your parents may enforce if you do end up being brought home. One option you might consider is asking your parents to stay with a friend or a family member.
    That being said, if you still feel like leaving is the best option for you, you may want to consider the following: where you’ll stay, how you’ll get there, how long you’ll stay, where you’ll get food and money, and if you have clothing appropriate for extreme weather. If you would like to let your family know that you are safe, you can always use our messaging service. If you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and leave a message for your family, we can deliver that message for you.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We really hope this message is helpful to you and please feel free to reach out to us if you ever want to talk about your situation more specifically. We wish you the best of luck and we encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think .Your feedback is really helpful to us and helps us serve you better, so we appreciate it. Stay safe!

Guest replied
    I can’t live here anymore.

im just keeping it simple I don’t know what to do my mom lives very far away from me so I live with my sister and old school dad. My dad is very strict I can’t do anything I can’t say hi to a guy with him there or bring up anything basically because he will find a way to yell at me. Most importantly I’m in high school and he won’t tolerate the thought of me sleeping over ANYWHERe. I’ve always been easy to make friends and happy but lately because of him I’ve been depressed which is not like me at all. Anyways I feel like i have no friends because he won’t let me sleepover everyone hangs out and I can’t. It’s just so hard living at home constantly being yelled at and mentally abused. I’ve always think about just running away and sleeping over at a friend house just so I can experience real life but I’m scared my dad would kick me out for good. Also I’m a very good child I get good grades and rarely drink but lately I think as a way of acting out I’ve been not as great I guess and I always try to talk to him about how all of his strictness effects me and the he gets more strict.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X