No announcement yet.

Please help me!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please help me!

    My mom and I always had a rocky relationship. But lately in the last 2 years it got worst. Like really bad. A week ago, she beat me with a wooden spoon and shoved me against the walls and threw me around like a rag doll. The day after she got into a full fist fight with me. I didn't hit back, I took all the hits, even the ones to the head. I left the house during the day. I went to my friends house. I only left my stuff there but I don't sleep there.

    My question is how can she get in trouble, if she doesn't know I'm a runaway. And another thing, I took my social security number and tried to apply for a job. I got the job, can I get the manager/ company in trouble??
    I'm 15 turning 16 next month.

    How long does it take to get emancipated and what are the steps and requirements??

  • #2
    Please help me!

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like things really took a turn for the worse over the last two years between you and your mother, sorry that you had to suffer through being hit and abused by her.
    What happened to you at the hands of your mom could be considered child abuse, you do not deserve to be hit and abused by anyone. It sounds like you took what you thought was a necessary step to get yourself safe. That was very brave of you.
    You said you went to a friend but you don't sleep over. Do you have a safe place to be at night?
    If you would like to explore your options for emergency shelter perhaps NRS can help you with locating services in your area. How does that sound?

    We are unable to give you an answer about an employer's legal status for hiring you based on the status of being a reported runaway.
    We cannot say what legal problems your mom may face as well.
    NRS does not have the legal expertise to do so.

    In regards to emancipation in general most states/courts require that parents and the minor are all in agreement with the procedure of being emancipated. Your parents or parent may need to sign legal documents for the courts. You being the person wanting to be emancipated may need to show the court that you have the means to be independent. By independent the court may mean having a job, an apartment with proof of rent payments a minimum checking account balance of maybe three hundred dollars or more. You may also have to sow that you are currently enrolled in school and continuing your education. To get specifics about emancipation in your you might contact the family court division or legal aid services in your area.

    If you would like to speak with someone on our 24hr crisis line please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929). NRS has a national data base to link our callers with information and referrals in their area. NRS offers a live chat service via our website from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.

    Your safety is important home should be a place of comfort and security you deserve that.
    There are laws and services to protect you against being abused if you feel you would like to file a child abuse report NRS can assist you to do so by filing a child abuse report on your behalf or connecting you through conference calling with the state child protection agency in your area.

    If you would like to contact CPS on your own we have listed a referral: Child Help USA- 1-800-422-4453
    Since 1959 Childhelp has existed to meet the physical, emotional, educational and spiritual needs of abused, neglected and at-risk children.

    They will connect you with services in your area where you can speak with someone about filing a child abuse report and emergency shelter.

    (Please note that they as well as NRS are mandated reporters meaning that once you give out identifying information on yourself or the abuser it must be filed and investigated). Does that make sense?

    We thank you again for contacting the National Runaway Safeline and wish you good luck.
    Take care,
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-02-2014, 01:16 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp