Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of running away to save my future and be free...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of running away to save my future and be free...

I'm 16 and I live in Detroit, MI
    Let me just tell you my story.
    Dont judge me soo quickly.

Okay u c my life right now is hell..
    I mean i smile and i laugh wen rlly my freakin dying inside.

My family is planning on moving to my home country (Yemen) during the summer.
    I dont (DONT) want to go bakk there.
    I came to America wen ii was 6.
    The reason i dont want to go bak there is because they treat women like crap there. They make them like maids or doormats to be stepped on.
    The women there have no freedom and they r stuck in their houses doing wut women are “supposed” to be doing.
    I know a lot of women who were abused there. By their parents or their husbands.
    I’m also afraid that I might get engaged there, or my sister might get forcefully married.
    Another problem is that right now ii have no freedom wutsoever.
    I don’t go out at all & wen I could I have to get my dads permission.
    He lets me sometimes but ii have to have my sisters and brother w/ me.

don’t do much at home, I only go on the computer and write.
    I write A LOT! I write a lot of poems.
    The poems tend to take how my depression into paper so that ii don’t show it in real life.
    Anyway, There r sooo much stuff that ii want to do that I would never get the chance to do her.
    I have soo much stuff that ii want to do that ii have never done.
    I have never went to the movie with my friends or the mall w/ them (just my friends).
    I have never had a good boyfriend.
    I have never gone to an amusement park.
    I have never kissed anyone.
    I have never had a sleepover b4.
    I have never gone out of Detroit.
    Wen we had a 2 week winter break from school all ii did was stay home and go on the computer and sleep.
    I didn’t call any friends or hang out with any of them
    All ii want is to be free.. I want to feel how it feels to be free.
    My parents made me wear a clothe that ii don’t like (abaya- google it)

I have talked to my parents a million times..
    they dont understand,
    My sister told my dad once that she doesnt want to go bak and his response was that he would pull her by the ears and send her bakk..

he is sooo strict

&& In my culture u dont get out of the house until u r married..
    so waiting 2 years wont do anything
    i'm with themm 4ever till a husband comes along..
    and im not allowed to date so im prob. gonna get married to someone i dont know

Thank you

Re: Thinking of running away to save my future and be free...

Hi,
    thanks for posting to us here at NRS. We're sorry to hear about your situation and the way it has made you feel. We want to asure you we are not in the habit of judging our posters or our callers and that we are here to listen , be supportive and go over possible options with you. What are the circumstances that have your family planning this move back to your homeland? We certainly understand from what you mentioned as to why you don't want to go back. Are there any options for you to stay in the U.S. with perhaps another relative or close family friend? You mentioned that you have been in the U.S. since you were 6yrs old. Do you have any legalstaus to stay here? In other words are you a citizen of the U.S? Did you or have you considered checking into what if any legal rights you might have obtained by living here in the U.S. so many years. You mentioned so many things you have yet to do and how this situation has kept you from even doing some of the things you may be able to do like talking with your friends or taking advantage of the time you are permitted to see them even though it means a sibbling has to be with you.
    your concerns and your desire to have a life you have a hand in choosing shows your strong self
    awareness. Your acknowledgment of the mistreatment of others shows tremendous character.
    It is our hope you continue to strive for the quality of life you feel you want to have.
    Do you have any intentions of talking to your parents more on the subject of staying in the U.S.?
    Can you come up with a good presentation as to why it would be a good option for you to stay here?
    What and who can serve as a great support base to you? what being a place to live and go to school and who being person or persons to take care of you and helping you to survive.
    What might be your parents concerns and what might you do to calm them? Would you agree to a list of rules they may have for you to follow?
    These are just a few things to think about. Should you want to discuss more about your situation please
    give us a call at our 1-800-RUNAWAY 24HR Hotline we would be more then glad to listen to what you have to say. Thanks again for contacting us.

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod4
      Hi,
      thanks for posting to us here at NRS. We're sorry to hear about your situation and the way it has made you feel. We want to asure you we are not in the habit of judging our posters or our callers and that we are here to listen , be supportive and go over possible options with you. What are the circumstances that have your family planning this move back to your homeland? We certainly understand from what you mentioned as to why you don't want to go back. Are there any options for you to stay in the U.S. with perhaps another relative or close family friend? You mentioned that you have been in the U.S. since you were 6yrs old. Do you have any legalstaus to stay here? In other words are you a citizen of the U.S? Did you or have you considered checking into what if any legal rights you might have obtained by living here in the U.S. so many years. You mentioned so many things you have yet to do and how this situation has kept you from even doing some of the things you may be able to do like talking with your friends or taking advantage of the time you are permitted to see them even though it means a sibbling has to be with you.
      your concerns and your desire to have a life you have a hand in choosing shows your strong self
      awareness. Your acknowledgment of the mistreatment of others shows tremendous character.
      It is our hope you continue to strive for the quality of life you feel you want to have.
      Do you have any intentions of talking to your parents more on the subject of staying in the U.S.?
      Can you come up with a good presentation as to why it would be a good option for you to stay here?
      What and who can serve as a great support base to you? what being a place to live and go to school and who being person or persons to take care of you and helping you to survive.
      What might be your parents concerns and what might you do to calm them? Would you agree to a list of rules they may have for you to follow?
      These are just a few things to think about. Should you want to discuss more about your situation please
      give us a call at our 1-800-RUNAWAY 24HR Hotline we would be more then glad to listen to what you have to say. Thanks again for contacting us.

Take Care,
      NRS
      Hello :]

“What are the circumstances that have your family planning this move back to your homeland?”
      There r no circumstances. They just don’t like America becuz of the stuff they see on tv. And We live in Detroit so they also see it in real. They have also always wanted to go bak. My mom and dad haven’t seen their parents in 10 years and ii want them to go and visit them, ii just don’t wanna go lmao. And also ii assume they want to go bak so that my sister can pick a husband. I think that’s my dad’s intention. He wants her open to the guys so that they can come and ask for her hand. Becuz truthfully he doesn’t want her to get married to anyone unless he is Yemeni and my dad knows him. Which really limits her to the guys she wants.

“Are there any options for you to stay in the U.S. with perhaps another relative or close family friend?”
      No. I have my cousins but they will tell me to go. They r my dads sisters house so she would side with him. And ii doubt they will let me stay with them. I do actually have a friend who might let me stay with her but that might change so im just holding on to that hope.

“Do you have any legal status to stay here? In other words are you a citizen of the U.S?”
      Yes I am. I got my citizenship October of 2007

“Did you or have you considered checking into what if any legal rights you might have obtained by living here in the U.S. so many years.”
      No actually I have not. Do u know any website ii can go to learn about my rights?

“Do you have any intentions of talking to your parents more on the subject of staying in the U.S.?”
      They haven’t mentioned moving to Yemen, yet. I think they r keeping it in secret. My dad has been wasting money like it was nothing (to me it translates into “It doesn’t matter wasting all my money, I’m not gonna b here any longer”, u kno? He has also bought 2 huge suitcases. I asked him y he bought it and he was like just in case one day we go to Yemen. And he has bought our passports, copied our birth certificates, and everything. Its really starting to scare me.
      I am planning on telling them I don’t wanna go wen they tell us that we’re moving.

“Can you come up with a good presentation as to why it would be a good option for you to stay here?”
      I could, but they would disagree with it. I know for sure. And some of the reasons they wouldn’t go with becuz it goes against my culture and religion.

“What and who can serve as a great support base to you?”
      I don’t know. I really don’t. I’m not gonna have anyone there for me. Maybe my friend but like ii said b4, that might change. Maybe at her apartment or something (she lives with her mom).

“What might be your parents concerns and what might you do to calm them?
      I don’t know yet.

“Would you agree to a list of rules they may have for you to follow?”
      And of course ii will agree, my whole life ii have been agreeing with everything they say. I have not snuck our or did anything behind their bakk (well nothing major at least).

Thank you very much for understanding.
      U said it in a calm mood and ii appreciate that.
      I think I’ll call u guys sometime, but later on wen/if things get worse.

Bye :]

Comment

Thanks for writing again and sharing your story. It sounds like such a difficult situation and it's understandable how hard this has been on you. You mentioned that you may be able to give us a call sometime and that would be great. As said before our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and there is someone here 24 hours a day to listen. Even if you just need to vent about the situation, we are here to listen. Also if there are any resources that we might be able to find for you we can do that as well. We were unable to find any legal information that worked specifically with US Citizenship rights, but there is a place in Detroit that provides legal services that may be able help.

Community Legal Resources
        313-962-3171

Perhaps that can be a jump start in order to find out your rights and what might be done. You sound like an extremely strong individual and you have every right to have dreams of your own. Wanting a better life for yourself should never be punished or looked down upon. There are people out there to help and don't hesitate to call us anytime you may need to. Best of luck with everything and take care.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod7
          Thanks for writing again and sharing your story. It sounds like such a difficult situation and it's understandable how hard this has been on you. You mentioned that you may be able to give us a call sometime and that would be great. As said before our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and there is someone here 24 hours a day to listen. Even if you just need to vent about the situation, we are here to listen. Also if there are any resources that we might be able to find for you we can do that as well. We were unable to find any legal information that worked specifically with US Citizenship rights, but there is a place in Detroit that provides legal services that may be able help.

Community Legal Resources
          313-962-3171

Perhaps that can be a jump start in order to find out your rights and what might be done. You sound like an extremely strong individual and you have every right to have dreams of your own. Wanting a better life for yourself should never be punished or looked down upon. There are people out there to help and don't hesitate to call us anytime you may need to. Best of luck with everything and take care.

Thank you :]

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X