No announcement yet.

help move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help move out

    I am 18 old and live with my adoptive parents with my other siblings. my mom treats me like a minor and doesn't want me to get in touch with my biological family. She threats me all times I need to visit my family. I've never seen my social security card and other legal documents and that I can't do nothing, go anywhere just stay home doing the cooking. I feel very uncomfortable with this life as being in a prison. My siblings, I mean my adoptive mother's children are free to do whatever they want while they are minors. We came in together in USA two years ago but they becames residents with green card while my status is still the same. What is going to happen if I move out and my mom does n't want to give me my papers as she always said. I will turn 19 years on December 2014. If I have my papers I can even find a part time job during the school year or a fultime job during the summer but unfortunately I am like a little fish in the aquarium. Need help.

  • #2
    RE: help move out


    We are glad you reached out to us. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation at home and would like to explore your rights and options as an 18 year-old that is under foster care. Nobody deserves to be mistreated and it sounds like you are not being treated fairly, in comparison with your foster siblings. We don't give advice, but if you want to contact a legal expert to explore your legal rights, we strongly support that option. We recommend that you search for legal aid within your home state, as they will be able to answer your questions most accurately. You can also contact the police and inform them of your situation and ask them to explain your rights and limitations in regard to obtaining your legal documents, seeing your biological family, and obtaining a job to move forward with your personal growth, as opposed to being forced to stay home and always doing things you don't want to be doing. Also, do you have a caseworker you can contact to help inform you of your rights and abilities? This could be very helpful with finding out accurate information as well as someone who may be able to advocate for you.

    You can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you have more questions, concerns, or are simply in need of some support while you're exploring your options. Also, you can chat with us at during the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm. We wish you the best of luck and please call us in the future if you need anything else. We're here for you!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove