I need help please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help please

Hello I am wondering what to do. My parents constantly yell at me all the time and my dad yells so loud that he makes me cry. I am scared of his yelling. My parents aren't fair to me at all. I feel so hopeless. I am the oldest in my family and I always get blamed for everything. Today my sister did something bad to me so I took something back and she got dramatic and scratched herself so I would get in trouble. My parents are furious and I am thinking of running away.
    I am so frightened by my dad's yelling.He is very mean.My mom said he was going to whoop me with his belt, but thats not the worst part because when that happens he pulls me away so i can't run away from him and my shoulder and armpits get cut by my shirt.

Please help me.

Re: I need help please

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard and we hope that through our communication, we are able to provide you with not just emotional support, but referrals to places that are able to help you the way you might need. It sounds like you are dealing with so much right now but we appreciate you finding the time to connect with a place that seeks to keep America's youth safe and off the streets. We imagine that your parents yelling at you and your mother excusing your father from hitting you, must cause you a lot of pain. While we cannot tell you what exactly to do, we can at least try to reason with you about the choices you have. For instance, if you just wanted someone to talk to about what you are living through, we can certainly take your call 24 hours/day at our 1800RUNAWAY number. Here, we can listen to you, while providing some emotional support, and can discuss ways to cope with what you are facing at home. One way to start thinking about ways to distract yourself more from life at home is to imagine other activities at school or in your community you can start advantage of attending. What can you think of that you are interested in doing at school or elsewhere in your community? Sometimes, just having something else to do away from a stressful environment can prepare you better for when it is time to return home. It can at least give you some extra time to cope without immediately running back home after school and by the time you get home, your parents could be to tired or maybe distracted themselves. Is this a possibility or do you have other ways that you use to cope with the situation? What do you enjoy daily at home? Are you into writing, drawing, listening to music or talking walks? Overall, do you have any other alternatives to coping or has it come to the point of having no choice but leaving?

As mandated reporters, we want to support you if you were interested in filing an abuse report. How often do you experience this sort of abuse? Although we are not in the position to define abuse, we can take a report for you and file it with Child Supportive Services. CPS can investigate your situation and have to interview your parents about what is happening. It doesn't always end by you leaving the home but they can order you to live within a program, with another family member or just require your mother and father to take family counseling. CPS does not favor separating families unless it is extremely necessary but if you were to gather evidence and witnesses to built your case, we can file for you. However, you or someone close to you can do the same but calling the number in your local area or the general 24hr number. We also can provide you that number. The other side to it is the realization that you may not want to split up your family even after they have shown little love to you. There is a slight possibility that family can get split up but it is extremely rare. There needs to be lots of reasons why CPS divide families and the investigation takes time. The other side is whether you want to deal with the consequences of how your parents are going to react to you after all this has ended. However, this is just one option but you can also start thinking about other solutions if possible.

You do not deserve to be yelled at with or without reason if you have done nothing wrong. It works better when young people are able to predict their environment but only when it is for your benefit. It sounds like you can only predict when there is going to yells and more reasons to be scared in your own house. Have you sat down to talk to your parents about how this is all affecting you? By saying that you feel "hopeless," it proves that you are alone and we really empathize with you. Sometimes sibling rivalry can cause parents to choose a side and it almost always comes down to blaming the older of the sibling. However, it sounds like you deserve more credit besides being hit with a belt. You have rights and he is not allowed to hit you. Are you able to keep track of dates and events and document all of this in case you needed to take action later? We cannot come into your home and tell you what to do. We cannot force you to take action. But we can guide you to make better choices to remain safe. It is simply unnerving that you are the one who has to take action to remain safe when it should be something that is normal but you strike us as someone who is not going to put up with it forever. We hope that you take this time to consider some of the points we outlined to you today and that you are able to come to terms with giving us a call to learn ways to remain safe. Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

thank you for helping me but I do not want to file and reports of any sort.

Comment

It is definitely your decision on whether you want to file a report or not. But just as a reminder we are a completely confidential hotline, so even if you just wanted to talk about the situation at home you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Perhaps it would help to discuss other options? We are here to help you if you want to make a report, but we will never push you to do so. Every situation is different and in the end it is your decision on what you want to do. But, if you just want to talk and need someone to listen we are here 24 hours a day. Best of luck with everything and call us anytime.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X