i need help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help

I am 16 years old, and I feel like my parents don't listen to me and they don't respect me. they always interrupt me whenever I am talking and then I end up losing my train of thought. they have tried telling me that it is part of a natural conversation, but I don't believe that. interrupting a few times is ok, but not during every sentence! my parents don't even trust me! they want to know about EVERYTHING that I am doing. they are limiting my texts and call time. they don't accept my boyfriend because they won't let me see him. I do have a learning disability, but I have felt like running away. I have tried telling my parents how I feel about the way they are treating me, but they said that I need to change my attitude first. I also get stressed from school, so I will lash out in anger, but that is from stress. I am also adopted. I have been bullied at school. there is sometimes just too much stress for me to handle. can someone please offer me some advice???

RE: i need help

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. It sounds like you have been struggling to have your voice heard at home and could use some support and/or resources. You certainly deserve respect and have the right to express yourself and it seems understandable that you sometimes find yourself feeling frustrated and angry. It can be helpful to consider what sources of support you have access to, such as friends/family, a school counselor or teacher, or a nearby mental health professional.

You mentioned that you have are being bullied. Below are some great internet resources that can provide you with insight into bullying, safe and effective ways to respond to bullying, and access to supportive resources, as well.

- www.stopbullying.gov
    - www.netsmartz.org
    - www.pacer.org/bullying

You also mentioned you have considered running away from home. It can be helpful to consider where you will stay, how you will get there, and how you would support and feed yourself while you are gone. We want to support you in any way that we can and encourage you to construct a safe and realistic plan, if you decide that leaving home is the best option for you. If you would like further support or resources, such as a local youth shelter, please call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org during the hours of 4:30pm - 11:30pm. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

re: i need help

one thing I can never understand is why do parents keep their child away from the person they are in a relationship with? why do parents act like they aren't listening or act like they don't respect the child? why do people bully others for really stupid reasons? I got picked on for many reasons:
      1. for being a nerd/ geek
      2. for being smart
      3. because I am socially awkward, and
      4. because I LIKE school and learning
      why would someone pick on another person like this?

Comment

Re: i need help

Thank you so much for your questions and concerns. It sounds like you are frustrated and fed up with some situations going on at home and at school. We wish we could answer some of these questions for you but the truth is we don't know why people act the way they do sometimes. In regards to your parents, have you spoken with them about your concerns and issues? We are also sorry to hear you are going through a tough time at school. It's not fair that you are being bullied for being smart or liking school. It's wonderful that you enjoy school and you should not be made fun of for that reason at all. Have you ever spoken with anyone at school about that?

It sounds like you could really use some support with these things. If you would ever like to talk with someone directly about your situation you can always reach us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to listen and here to help. Take care and feel free to contact us anytime.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Re: I need help

I have gotten help at school for being bullied. I was almost always in the counselor's office everyday. several years ago, I quit going to therapy because at the time I didn't need it. now, I really need it, and I have asked my parents if I can continue therapy, but they are taking a long time to find one. what should I do in the mean time while they are finding one?

Comment

RE: RE: I need help

Hello again,
            Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear you are being bullied and having problems with other students. You do have the right to feel safe in your own home and at school. Check out these websites for tips and idea on how to deal with bullying. www.stopbullying.gov, www.netsmartz.org, and www.pacer.org/bullying.
            It sounds like you are wanting to get some counseling but are having a difficult time finding one with your parents. Have you talked with your school counselor about finding one in your area? If not, we have a large database of resources here and may be able to help find you a therapist near you.
            Please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

- NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X