Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to run away

I'm 16 and I want to run away.

~A little about myself: I am in my appropriate grade level and maintain A's & B's with an occasional C. I am dual enrolled (I go to college for both high school and transferable college credit at the college level of knowledge).. I have no criminal record. I am very capable to adapt and handle situations appropriately. I don't or ever have done drugs, or drank alcohol once. I'm just a very troubled person who has gone out of my way to be accepted or have sanity in my life. It hasn't worked out though.

~My Situation: My home life is full of disruptive, stressful, depressing, and things that make my life (like many others) not one that should be lived in such way. Since I was about 4-5 years old, I have experienced 3_attempts of divorce for my biological parents, 3rd time's a charm... My dad has been physically abusive to my mom, and has even served time in jail for it. They divorced just over a year ago and I have stopped seeing him or talking to him for about a month now. He has been emotionally, and verbally abusive my entire life. So much to the point where I sat in my room alone, almost the entire time I was under the same roof as him. For many years, I have been in severe depression, physically painful and dangerous to my health anxiety and stress. The day I left him, I was taken to Halifax after calling the police about my dad having been threatening to my own wellbeing. Having been cut off from the world or anything but the pain of my dad, I had very bad thoughts (reason for being baker acted) that I no longer have. My dad still attempts to make my every waking moment even though I have ceased all contact with him. My mom is great but with my dad still present, its hell. I have no future in Florida where I live. I would run to Illinois if anything. I am very capable of navigating and reaching my destination without selling myself. I know how to get shelter, food/water, etc. without stealing or any other negative form of achieving necessities for surviving. Once I reach my destination I can stay there, it is a rural but nicely populated town, where I do still know people who can take care of me or I can make it on my own due to the community being supported without big name businesses that require this or that in which would get me caught or due to this, they lack the obligation in their mind to require anything besides passing weather or not my intentions are innocent and I am a good person. I don't want trouble or to cause problems for others... My home life is just too much for me to handle, it’s been this way since I was little, and I know it’s not my fault and that I cannot change the situation or people. What I do know is I can go somewhere that I am better off being at and can make it on my own.

~Questions:
    • If I get caught in, and or out of state, what will happen?
    • If I turn 18 without having gotten caught, can I get into any trouble for running away if I haven’t broken the law in any way when I ran, what will happen?
    • If I my parents don’t file a police report on me running will it matter to law enforcement if I am caught?
    • Considering I have no criminal record, and am a mature and responsible person, if caught and 1) my parents don’t care, or 2) being where I am at is found to be in my best interest, could I be let go by law enforcement if I am caught?
    • If caught and have been away for a considerable amount of time (about a year or so), and it’s evident that I am stable, and can live without, selling my body for necessities/or any other things that would require that level of doing to live; is there a process or paperwork besides emancipation that I could do that is “quick and easy” to get released back to where I was found?
    • If my mom knowingly knew of me running away, and possibly helped, could she get in trouble?

Re: want to run away

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you've been through a lot with your life at home before and after he left. We're not legal experts and no one can really tell you what the consequences will be for an action you decide to make. We can't even tell if there would be a consequence or not. However, we'll help out as best as we can.

It must be frustrating to want to leave to find safety, comfort and independence but not to be able to find it so easily. You have some valid and relevant questions. We'll try and touch on all of them to the best of our abilities.

If I get caught in, and or out of state, what will happen?
    No one knows. It depends on how old you are and if the state you're "caught" in wants to follow their age of majority laws or the state you're listed as a runaway.

If I turn 18 without having gotten caught, can I get into any trouble for running away if I haven’t broken the law in any way when I ran, what will happen?
    That depends on if you were listed as a runaway or not. You'd have to check with the state you're reported as a runaway if that report expires after you've turned 18. You may be able to call yourself in as an 18 year old and remove yourself from the runaway reports.

If I my parents don’t file a police report on me running will it matter to law enforcement if I am caught?
    If there isn't a report police will probably not see you as suspect and you will not be in their database. If they're curious about something then no one can stop them from investigating their suspicions but if you're not listed as a runaway you can't be detained as a runaway.

Considering I have no criminal record, and am a mature and responsible person, if caught and 1) my parents don’t care, or 2) being where I am at is found to be in my best interest, could I be let go by law enforcement if I am caught?
    That's up to them. We really can't say. When you say your parents "don't care" that sounds liek you won't have a report filed on you anyway so we don't see why law enforcement would be involved in the first place.

If caught and have been away for a considerable amount of time (about a year or so), and it’s evident that I am stable, and can live without, selling my body for necessities/or any other things that would require that level of doing to live; is there a process or paperwork besides emancipation that I could do that is “quick and easy” to get released back to where I was found?
    Same as before, that's up to them to decide and if you have a runaway report filed.

If my mom knowingly knew of me running away, and possibly helped, could she get in trouble?
    That depends on if it's discovered that she aided in you running from home and if you had a runaway report filed.

We hope some of those details help. It's difficult for us to directly answer questions like that but it might open up bigger conversations.

We'd like to continue to explore your situation with you via a conversation on our hotlines. Please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We're here to listen, here to help.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X