Why me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why me?

Okay so last weekend my mom kicked me out and I went to stay at my dads house. Me and my stepmother have been arguing all week and today she told my dad that I was talking bad about him and I wasn't. They both started screaming at me and basically told me that they didn't care and or love me. I tried to leave to go on a walk and they told me that they would call the cops on me so, I went to my room and my dad followed me in and started throwing things at me and breaking all my stuff. I have been considering running away for a long time. I just don't know where to go and what will happen if I decide to come back.

Re: Why me?

Hi,

Thank you so much for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you have been having a really hard time lately with family. It’s understandable that you would be feeling overwhelmed. It’s obvious that your family is aware that there are issues, but have you talked to them about how they have been making you feel? We want you to know that here at National Runaway Safeline we offer conference calling with youth and guardians. If you were to call into our hotline at 1800 RUNAWAY (786 2929), we could speak with you more specifically about your situation and your options, and if you wanted to proceed with a conference call, we would call out to a guardian and act as a mediator to facilitate a conversation between the two of you to make sure that everyone is equally heard. This can be a good step regarding communication on your feelings.

It sounds like you’re thinking about leaving, but wondering what would happen if you returned and where you would go if you left. These are some great things to think about. If you were to leave your house, it sounds like your parents would be making a runaway report. Although running away is not illegal, if you were to stay with friends or family and your parents were aware of where you were staying, they could potentially press charges on the people you were staying with for harboring a runaway.

We are always most concerned with safety. If you are thinking more about leaving, these are some other questions that might be good to think about:
    What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    What would make me stay at home?
    How will I survive?
    Is running away safe?
    Who can I count on to help me?
    Am I being realistic?
    Have I given this enough thought?
    What are my other options?
    If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    When I return home, what will happen?

Our hotline is available 24/7, anonymous and confidential. We also have chat available from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST, which you can access through our website at 1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you more soon.

Good luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Why me?

I'm packed and I'm ready to go. I have a plan but I'm open to any suggestions if you would like to give any. I was just wondering what the consequences are if I get caught by the police.?

Comment

Re: Why me?

Thanks for reaching out to us and it sounds like you've already decided to leave and have a plan in place which is good. It is important to try and stay safe no matter what you decide to do. Some questions we like to ask all the people who reach out to us and say they have a plan are as follows.
        • Are there any ways your plan could go wrong?
        • If so, do you have a backup plan?
        • Is your plan safe?
        • Are there any alternatives to leaving?
        • Is there anyone you can talk to about all this before you leave?
        You can also look at our website 1800runaway.org for more of those questions. In terms of your asking for suggestions, unfortunately we can't give advice but if you needed resources such as a shelter, counseling, travelers aid, etc we would be glad to try and help you out. Unfortunately since we don't know your city and state we can't provide you with that but if you chat us or call us and give us that information we can try and give you some resources.
        In terms of the question about the consequences with the police, if you are a minor and you runaway your parents can file a runaway report. If they do that, any time your name comes up in the police system or a police pulls you over your name will be flagged as a runaway and you will be returned to your legal guardian. Running away is a status offense which means it isn't on your permanent record so once you turn 18 there will be no legal consequences for running away as a minor.
        If you have any other questions about police involvement, need resources or just want to talk through your plan you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7. You can also chat us from the hours of 4:30-11:30 pm CST.
        Best of Luck,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X