No announcement yet.

Emanciaption in Iowa.. Help.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emanciaption in Iowa.. Help.

    Well, for the past 2 years my mom hasn't been connecting with her kids. She married a man that isn't our father... She seems to take his side for everything just because he is a cop... I can tell that she wants to help us... But, she refuses.. I have messed up, I have moderate depression and take medication for it.. about 3 Months ago I started doing drugs, I am not doing them anymore.. I got the help that I needed. But I stopped about a month ago.. My step dad has put his hands on me before.. about 2 years ago I filed a charge on him because I wanted to go live with my dad because I was getting scared in my own house.. I was scared to go home... That's the way it is again.. What happened was that I told my mom that I wasn't comfortable in my home.. And I thought it would be best for me to stay with a friend for the weekend.. Well, I used to go on nightly runs. My mom and her husband where trying to say that I was "Running Away" this wasn't the first time they have tried to send me away.. I told my moms husband that I wasnt going to get in the car.. so he took his hand around my neck and tried to throw me into the car. He also grabbed my hair and pulled it, and twisted my arm behind my back. Nothing was done about this. The "court" said that he had every right because he was a cop... He wasn't on duty.. I moved in with my dad after that, then things got heated with me and my dad about 6 months later because my dad is a drunk.. He is always drunk. After the drugs, my dad disowned me as his child. I know that my mom cares... But I am still recovering, and she lets her husband walk all over me and her... I can't keep going threw this.. I have thought about running away and then I looked online for something to do.. What should I do? I want to be emancipated... I need to be emancipated.. other wise I' going to be all messed up..

  • #2
    RE: Emancipation in Iowa...Help.

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline, we appreciate your confidence in us and your trusting us with your story! We're here to listen; here to help. It must be difficult to have to live in a place where you don't feel supported. It appears that you know that your mother does love you, but it is hard to see that sometimes because you feel like she puts her husband before you. Thank you for bravely taking the courage to find support where you cannot necessarily get it at home and asking such great questions.

    Please note that we are neither legal experts, members of law enforcement, nor lawyers. Please seek your local legal aid center for legal advice. Any information that we provide is intended for general guidance and support, not legal advice or consultation.

    Given your situation, it seems that you feel as though emancipation is your only option. This is understandable because it seems like you've tried so much and to no avail--you've still been unhappy. It sounds like you're very frustrated with your stepfather's treatment of you, your father's alcoholism , and your mother's attitude of allowing her husband to treat you in ways that you are not comfortable with. In Iowa, they do allow minors to apply for emancipation. It should be noted that seeking emancipation is not an easy endeavour. Youth often have to prove that they can take care of themselves especially financially. For more information about Iowa's Emancipation Petition Hearings, see below:

    Note that you have to be at least 16 years old to consider emancipation. To learn more about emancipation and to find information about an Iowa Legal Aid office near you, see this link:

    Once again, we thank you so much for taking the time to write us. We hope that this information provided above can provide you with some where to start. For more individualized support, we encourage to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY where we are open 24/7. We also have an interactive live chat available 7 days a week from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. Lastly, for some encouragement while you are on your search for a better living situation, we'd like to invite you to check out a series on our blog called the Do. You. series as it may be relevant to your situation.

    The link to these posts is below:


    The National Runaway Safeline
    Last edited by ccsmod9; 02-04-2014, 11:52 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp