I just need some kind of guidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just need some kind of guidance

Let me first start out by saying my dad is a complete psychopath, he always has been. I've always been able to tolerate it/ ignore it but I am now seventeen and a senior in high school and it's starting to put a toll on me. I honestly don't know how much more I can take. Usually me thinking about hurting myself came few and far between but lately it seems to be getting normal and that scares me. He and I always bump heads but lately every thing that happens makes me hate him more and more. I am going to college but these last 6 months seem like eternity to me especially when he is in my face screaming at me about nonsense and taking things that I worked extremely hard to buy myself, such as my car. He has no right to do that! I just want to leave! I have multiple friends who know my life at home and whose parents have said it'd be okay to live with them but I don't want to get them in trouble legally. I don't know what to do. Is it worth leaving? Am I even able to? I just don't want to make a big deal out of the situation. I know that he'll call the police and charge me as a runaway and I have too much going for me to have that on my record but like I said before this anger I have is just building up and I don't know how much more of living like this, with him, I can take.

I just need some kind guidance

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like you are quite frustrated with your dad and his behavior towards you.
    We understand how frustrated you must feel with this type of behavior no one deserves to be screamed at and made to feel fear. You mentioned feeling scarred about how the thoughts to hurt yourself were starting to get normal. Is that right? Your feelings matter and it’s good that you are talking about them. NRS wants you to know there is the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-Talk (8255) 24hrs so if you are feeling frustrated and having thoughts of hurting yourself you can contact them for support.
    It does sound like you have tried to handle this situation with good patience and you should be commended for that. Good for you.

Congratulations on being a senior and seemly ready to go on to college that's quite a deed well done.
    It is also nice that you have the support of some friends as well as their parents. It sounds like there have been some offers from your friend’s parents to provide a place of comfort to you but you were thinking about how things might get more complicated by leaving home.

There may be other options to consider.
    Do you have the opportunity to at least visit your friends socially?
    This may be a way to give you a time out from home.
    Trying to avoid confrontations is an option as well.
    Can you think of anything you might do or change that might help defuse or avoid arguments with your father?
    Still another option might be to look into any senior activities at school where you could spend positive time with the objective being to minimize the confrontations in hopes of minimizing your stress.

We can’t control how others behave individually so we hope you understand that you are not responsible for your dad’s behavior. You have demonstrated good patience and intelligence. It was very brave of you to reach out to NRS it shows good inititive in researching ways to cope with your situation.

You are welcome to call our 24hr crisis line to discuss more options with one of our crisis liners.
    You can also live chat via the NRS website www.1800Runaway.org from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.
    We hope that your situation gets better and you start to feel more at ease.

Thank you again for taking time to contact the National Runaway Safeline.
    Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X