Step Parent Trying to Break My Family Up and Throw Me in Juvenile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step Parent Trying to Break My Family Up and Throw Me in Juvenile

Hi I'm reaching out for help because I need insight on this. I'm 16 male I live in missouri, and I wanted to know that is it possible for me to leave out of home if I'm being held there againsnt my will. And can my step father and biological mother put me into juvenile for leaving if I'm being emotionally abused . Yesterday i left the car because my step father whispers(pulled aside) my mom to tell her I couldn't stay in the car, even though my mom said I could. After i got out i confronted my stepfather about this and walked away in frustration to call my sister to come and pick me up. My sister willing to come and pick me up says that even tho she knows my situation says, they can call the cops on her to come and bring me home from her house.

My father just passed away a couple of months ago and I had to transition to Missouri to live with my mom and her husband. To make a long story short, my step father pulls my mom aside and whispers things to her on what she has to do. because I overheard him talking to my mom and saying "if you wanna be my wife, you have to do everything I tell you, without hesitation. u understand? Ive been on punishment for about. Weeks now and they have assigned me an extra month this month. Because I had to come home yesterday

What has been going on is that, I feel like he's trying to turn my mom against my family because when my sisters or relatives try to help me, my mom now rejects their help because my stepfather has implanted in her head that. My sisters and relatives are trying to run things, their trying to make a fool out of you and ,saying that they can't make any rules in my house (I understand this one and my sisters aren't trying to make rules, but are only trying to do things in my best interest by asking my mom could they do certain things concerning me). He has also implanted in her head that. Shes the mom and she knows best and that you're not suppose to correct the mom, she had you, you didn't have her. So my mom is now rejecting my siblings help, because of my stepfather who I have only lived with for about 3 months now is telling her that basically even when she is in error we cant correct her because she is the mom. Whenever I try to voice my opinion my mom tries to talk over me, saying I'm backtalking and contending and then raises her hand and restorting to hitting me for speaking my mind. I feel trapped with nowhere to run to at this point. I don't want to run to my sisters and have them go to jail because I ran out of my stepdads house to go to them. And if I do leave home my stepfather said I only have 1 chance to act right and "obey", he told her to take away my phone to prevent me from taking to family, and if i do contact one of them about whats going on inside the house they are sending me to juvenile, He says I'm disobeying / disrespecting my mom, how can i be disobeying my mom when they aren't even her words in the first place. And he tells her what to do and say,

I'm not a bad teenager, I have good grades, 12th grade and taking ACT test this spring, attend a private school for which my siblings pay the tuition for me to go. I'm very intelligent, I do photography, video editing, computer coding and 3d modeling, and i want to be an architect and major in Architecture and have a minor in Interior design . My mom dosent realise that throwing me in a juvenile will prevent me of many opportunities and delay me of getting the proper education I need.

Help me to resolve this issue please.

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us about what’s going on. It sounds like you are in a very difficult and frustrating situation right now; hopefully we can help you find some resources and support to help you stay safe but also figure out what your legal rights are. It was very brave of you to contact us and you deserve the right to feel safe living at the house.

We are sorry to hear that your dad recently passed away. It can be very difficult to mourn the passing of someone close to us, especially with transitioning to a new life in a different state. It sounds as if you had family and others to support you during all of this but your stepdad has made it increasingly difficult for you. Have you been able to talk with anyone about your father’s passing and how that has made you feel?

You mentioned that your mom and stepfather are verbally abusive towards you. It also sounds like they have threatened to put you in juvenile detention if you leave home without their permission. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure what would happen if you were to leave. Generally speaking though, since you are still under the age of 18, your mom may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police. In some states, running away is considered to be a status offense, which is something you can’t do if you are still a minor; if your mom was to file a report and the police located you, they may contact mom to let her know. Now, according to the information we have, a youth may be taken into custody by police if they are found to be without proper care, custody or support. The police may also become involved if the youth’s behavior, environment or associations are injurious to their welfare. It seems as if the police may be able to get involved on your behalf and may be able to help you find a safe place to go, such as your sister or a different relative. Another agency that may be able to help is Child Protective Services but you may have to file a report with them; have you ever done that before?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth in crisis so if you would like to call, we can talk with you more about what’s going on and try to help you locate some resources to help you further. We can also help you call different agencies (CPS, police, social services) that can give you more specific answers about what your rights are. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) but we also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you are more comfortable talking with us that way; that can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

Again, we think it was very brave of you to contact us and we hope that you continue to keep in touch with us so we can help you further.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X